HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Feb 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGsoar View Post
no, I think it's $5 more with usb ftdi adapter.. but most of us already have at least one of those

and i didn't realize this was a for sale thread... i thought it was a discussion forum about the frame. i didn't mean to offend anyone i was just giving my honest opinion. maybe terri's price is cheaper than goodluckbuy I have no idea.. but it's worth mentioning glb also sent me replacement parts for free! even though it was my fault (landing gear fell off in flight into ocean)
No, not a sales thread - just a support thread for the X250 Quadcopter in general. It's just that most of the people on this thread purchased their quadcopter from Terri - because the thread started out in the classifieds section under Terri's ad for the quadcopter.

I'm surprised to hear about your experience with glb. Usually, I see people posting about how bad their service is or how they ship incomplete packages and don't pack things well. That's pretty much been the reason I've been trying to avoid ordering from them. But now that you say how good they've been to you, maybe they've changed their ways. Were the replacement parts you ordered from glb for the X250?
ukarmy04 is online now Find More Posts by ukarmy04
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,770 Posts
I bought quite a bit from GLB. Sometimes I found good deals that are too good. GLB wouldn't be able to deliver. I got full refund when that happened. The shop is honest. Shipping is slow but it is always free. I think it is doing drop shipping. If it can find the goods at the advertised price, it ships.

BTW, is this particular X250 quad 250mm on each side of the square or is it 250mm diagonally across? I found ad's for both.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
250mm on the diagonal, motor shaft to motor shaft.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2007
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukarmy04 View Post
No, not a sales thread - just a support thread for the X250 Quadcopter in general. It's just that most of the people on this thread purchased their quadcopter from Terri - because the thread started out in the classifieds section under Terri's ad for the quadcopter.

I'm surprised to hear about your experience with glb. Usually, I see people posting about how bad their service is or how they ship incomplete packages and don't pack things well. That's pretty much been the reason I've been trying to avoid ordering from them. But now that you say how good they've been to you, maybe they've changed their ways. Were the replacement parts you ordered from glb for the X250?
it was a 500x size frame.. they even sent me 2 landing gears when I only asked for (needed) 1...
SGsoar is offline Find More Posts by SGsoar
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Feb 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
I bought quite a bit from GLB. Sometimes I found good deals that are too good. GLB wouldn't be able to deliver. I got full refund when that happened. The shop is honest. Shipping is slow but it is always free. I think it is doing drop shipping. If it can find the goods at the advertised price, it ships.

BTW, is this particular X250 quad 250mm on each side of the square or is it 250mm diagonally across? I found ad's for both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGsoar View Post
it was a 500x size frame.. they even sent me 2 landing gears when I only asked for (needed) 1...
Hmm...interesting. I may order something from them in the near future. They just released their APM 2.0 clone with GPS for something close to $100. If they follow through and deliver to their customers it would be a great deal.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:18 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Has anybody seen this
Interaction with a Quadrotor via the Kinect, ETH Zurich (1 min 11 sec)
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,660 Posts
Man, I really need to learn how to read motor sizes... I know I have the right motors on order, now, FINALLY, but I have received 4 motors which are too big. WAY too big. So to solve this, I bought me a DJIF330 frame. It's a sweet, sweet frame, and very nice size for acrobatic flying. I'll be runnig 8 inch props on it. Here's what it looks like:

I already have some ESCs for this, and a spare KK board, so just need to get a receiver now...

And then, the 4 motors I bought with 4 10 amps ESCs as a kit are TINY!!! They are too small and the mounting holes don't match... Man... Did I mention I need to learn to read motors sizes?

So to solve this, I needed a tiny frame to match the tiny motors. Decided to make my own. Here's what it looks like (It's not finished yet).

I have not measured it yet, but it's smaller than the mcw250. Quite a bit smaller, but I made it big enough so I can use the same props. It should fly.

OK, OK, I'm way off topic, here... All this to say that since I also have another small frame on order which I will use with a KK board, I'm thinking about selling my mwc250 (I have too many quads projects!!!). It has no motors on it now and one arm has been repaired. (Terri sells the arms for 6$, not sure how much are the motors. But my repair is bomb proof. Stronger than stock so no need to replace it) Put simply, I don't like the Multiwii. I prefer the KK board and I get them for 13$.

So how much do you think I can ask for my MWC250 with a repaired arm and no motors? I want to sell it at a good price to please the buyer but I don't want to give it away, either. What do you think would be a fair asking price?

Thanks,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Man, I really need to learn how to read motor sizes... I know I have the right motors on order, now, FINALLY, but I have received 4 motors which are too big. WAY too big. So to solve this, I bought me a DJIF330 frame. It's a sweet, sweet frame, and very nice size for acrobatic flying. I'll be runnig 8 inch props on it. Here's what it looks like:

I already have some ESCs for this, and a spare KK board, so just need to get a receiver now...
Chris, you're going to love that frame. I've got the F450 - same frame, slightly bigger. But man, it's a blast to fly. Here's a video my friend recorded of me flying around. It was before I started doing flips but you can tell that the frame is built for aggressie maneuvers.

DJI F450 Flamewheel (2 min 50 sec)
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6,660 Posts
Woah! Awesome flying, there, Sir. You are tossing that thing around like a mad mad.

Very nice video. I have owned the DJI 450 clone. It's very much the same, except it might be a bit easier to break and it didn't have the built in power distribution center plates. I never flew it that aggressively, though. You're really giving it the time of day in that video. I'm wondering what batteries you're using on this because it clearly performs a lot more than mine did, despite the discrepancy in flying skills. I was flying mine with a 3s, 35c, 2200mAh battery.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Woah! Awesome flying, there, Sir. You are tossing that thing around like a mad mad.

Very nice video. I have owned the DJI 450 clone. It's very much the same, except it might be a bit easier to break and it didn't have the built in power distribution center plates. I never flew it that aggressively, though. You're really giving it the time of day in that video. I'm wondering what batteries you're using on this because it clearly performs a lot more than mine did, despite the discrepancy in flying skills. I was flying mine with a 3s, 35c, 2200mAh battery.

Best,
Chris
Haha thanks, Chris.

I was using a 35C 2200mah 3s LiPo with Turnigy 1200kv 150 watt motors, 3-bladed 9x5 props and 25A Red Brick ESC's with Simonk firmware. If you check my RCGroups blog, I have some more information about it. I think the two main things that made the biggest difference in power were the props and flashed ESC's.

And in terms of durability - I was once practicing doing flips on the quad. I ended up getting it upside down in the air an then full throttling it into the ground from 20ft up. It landed on the front two arms before the back two and the only thing that broke were the props.
Last edited by ukarmy04; Jun 19, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Man, I really need to learn how to read motor sizes...
Chris,

Some of the outrunners use the size as model number. The digits represent the size of the stator, e.g. :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Motor.html

For AX 2308N, Stator: 23 x 8mm

That means the diameter of the stator (the center core of an out runner with the drum removed) is 23mm and its thinkness is 8mm.

For. example, AX 1806N 2500kv and AX 1806N 2100kv are using the same core. (The lower KV motor has more winding.) They are smaller than AX 2308N1100kv.

The other indicator is the weight, the heavier the bigger.

If in doubt, google for a page that shows the actual dimensions.

Best.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Last edited by Wasp09; Jun 19, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
Richmond, Oh USA
Joined Feb 2001
87 Posts
Hi there,

Question for you guys, how often do you have to do the Gyro Calibration?
I have to do the stick motions to "Calibrate Acro Gyro" each time before I fly....

Any ideas?

Thanks

John L.
John Boy is offline Find More Posts by John Boy
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
Hi there,

Question for you guys, how often do you have to do the Gyro Calibration?
I have to do the stick motions to "Calibrate Acro Gyro" each time before I fly....

Any ideas?

Thanks

John L.
Hi John,

I read that it's a good idea to do it on every flight but I have not needed to do it that often. Make sure the quad doesn't more and is on a flat surface when you connect the battery or else the gyro will not work well.

Wasp, thank you very much for your answer. It's very helpful.

Best,
Chris

PS: Just got over flooding rains and now the government called all schools and public offices OFF for the day, AGAIN, as typhoon Talim is plowing through the Taiwan straight today. It's raining hammers and nails out there again. Severe floods all over the island, AGAIN!!!!
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:32 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
I hope it's not hurting the motores but I put some 6in props on the quad it is already good but with these props wow much better for me and it is a lot quieter and I hooked up aux to my gear switch and that made a BIG difference for me

Mike
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,660 Posts
Can someone do me a favor, please? Can you plug in a battery and make sure the lights are turned on. After a minute, touch your voltage regulator for the lights. Does it get hot? I almost blew mine up for the second time recently when I plugged in a 3s battery while the light switch was "ON." Smoke came out, as I mentioned earlier.

Now... As you may remember, I have my ESCs tucked in under the main board and one of them happens to sit directly on top of the voltage regulator for the lights. It got so hot it fried my ESC. Sold all my motors for a song thinking they were crappy, but turns out I have a bad ESC. I did not make the correlation at first that when the lights were on, a motor would run poorly, but with the lights off it was OK. Eventually, the ESC got really cooked and now it won't work with the lights ON or OFF. It's fried.

Now while the lights are still working, I noticed that the voltage regulator gets really hot so I replaced it with a new one. Same thing. When I turn the lights on, even with just a 2s battery, the regulator gets super hot. I can't touch it. It's literally painful it's so hot to touch.

So... Can you touch yours and see if it gets hot after the lights are ON for a minute or so? Mine gets hot withing 10 seconds with a 2s lipo.

Thank you, and now I'm off to order a new ESC.

Chris
Site Sponsor