SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:03 AM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Discussion
X250 MWC Quadcopter

This thread is for the users of the X250 MWC Quadcopter.

The first post is broken down into 3 sections; Quadcopter Specifications, Flight Videos and Tutorials.
__________________________________________________ __________

Quadcopter Specifications:

1*MWC Board:
ATMEGA328P microcontroller
ITG3205 three-axis digital gyroscope
BMA180 triaxial accelerometer
BMP085 pressure sensor
HMC5883L axis magnetoresistive sensor (electronic compass)

4*1510 16g Motor

4*Hobbywing 12A ESC

4* Props

4* 1 Watt LED Night Fly Lights (2 White 2 Blue)

2* Battery Plug (1 JST 1 T Plug)

__________________________________________________ _________

Flight Videos:

Contributed by Terri

Mini MWC.MOV (1 min 2 sec)

Contributed by Bobepine

Mini MWC quad flight test (8 min 26 sec)

Mini 250 MWC Quad First 3D Attempt (4 min 49 sec)

MultiWii Mini 250 Quad Acrobatics and mild crash ending (2 min 57 sec)

Contributed by Wingbreaker

MWX 250 Quad (3 min 18 sec)

Contributed by TImecop

250mm MiniQuad + Naze32 (1 min 26 sec)

Contributed by Chevycruizer

X250 MWC Quadcopter - Acro / Level / Level + Baro + Mag hovering demo (4 min 59 sec)

Contributed by ukarmy04

X250 Quadcopter Flight Video - With Crash (7 min 12 sec)

__________________________________________________ ___________

Tutorials:

A build log of the X250 Quadcopter contributed by ukarmy04:

http://www.rctutor.org/x250-quadcopter.html

A VERY helpful 3-part video series contributed by tc3wins on how to setup the board with multiwii and how to tune it using the GUI. Much appreciated.

arduino 1.0 how to.AVI (9 min 16 sec)

MultiWii GUI howto.AVI (6 min 54 sec)

Multiwii GUI part 2.AVI (2 min 44 sec)

Note: Not all of these images are mine. Credit for each of these images goes to the users who uploaded them in the original thread.
ukarmy04 is offline Find More Posts by ukarmy04
Last edited by ukarmy04; Jul 05, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:41 AM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Good jod👍👍👍
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:26 AM
Custom quad builder
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
As some of you know this is my first quad build and if I can do anybody can so far I have got everything soldered up and tested all good then I plugged everything into the board I have not put any power to it yet I will save that for tomorrow I have some more reading to do
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:04 AM
Richmond, Oh USA
Joined Feb 2001
87 Posts
Radio Setup Suggestions

Hi there,

This is my first Quad after flying the Blade MQX. Tons more power and much more aggressive on the controls.

I've seen many radio setups for flying this Quad, some choose Airplane mode, some choose heli mode. By using the heli mode on your radio, you can change the behavior of the Quad just by using the Flight Mode Switch on your radio.

The Flight Mode Switch is used by heli pilots all the time to make the start & ending of their flight smoother. Take off in Normal flight mode, gentle controls for take-off/landing and precision hovering about. Switch to Stunt-1 or Stunt-2 to rip up the sky with agressive controls.

Remember, all these settings are after you calibrate your sub-trims and end-points to operate the MWC board correctly...

Settings: (this example is from my JR 9303 with Spektrum module)

- select HELI as aircraft type

- Dual Rate & Expo: (goal: you want to smooth out the Normal flight mode)
Flight Modes: Auto - Norm Pos 0, ST-1 Pos 1, ST-2 Pos 2
-Aileron-
Pos 0, DR 65%, EXP +30% (smooth out controls for tight flying)
Pos 1, DR 100%, EXP +30% (remember Futaba would be -30%...)
Pos 2, DR 100%, EXP +30% (put Wild setups here...)
-Elevator-
Pos 1, DR 100%, EXP +30%
Pos 2, DR 100%, EXP +30%
-Rudder-
Pos 0, DR 100%, EXP +5% (this is already too slow...)
Pos 1, DR 100%, EXP +5%
Pos 2, DR 100%, EXP +5%

- Pitch Curve - no changes here

- Throttle Curve
-Normal- (goal: you want to smooth out take-offs & landings, limit full power)
EXPO - ON (smooth out center of throttle for better hovering)
Point L- 0%
Point 1- 22%
Point 2- 38%
Point 3- 50%
Point 4- INH
Point 5- INH
Point H- 65% (limit full power so you don't hit the roof, shoot through trees...)
-ST-1-
Points- (use defaults for fast, aggressive flights)
-ST-2-

- Directions and Use:
- take off in Normal Flight Mode, your takeoff and the start of your flight will look smooth and under control.
- now while in a hover, switch to Stunt-1 and fly around like a crazy person, wow the crouds.
- when your timer sounds enter into a hover, switch to Normal Flight Mode for smooth controls, a precise hover, and then land like a pro.

These are the settings I use to help make this great little Quad fly easier for me, your mileage may very....

Good Luck!

John L.
John Boy is online now Find More Posts by John Boy
Last edited by John Boy; Jun 09, 2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:25 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Sweet, a thread outside of the FS/W section heheh
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
Hi there,

This is my first Quad after flying the Blade MQX. Tons more power and much more aggressive on the controls.

I've seen many radio setups for flying this Quad, some choose Airplane mode, some choose heli mode. By using the heli mode on your radio, you can change the behavior of the Quad just by using the Flight Mode Switch on your radio.

The Flight Mode Switch is used by heli pilots all the time to make the start & ending of their flight smoother. Take off in Normal flight mode, gentle controls for take-off/landing and precision hovering about. Switch to Stunt-1 or Stunt-2 to rip up the sky with agressive controls.

Remember, all these settings are after you calibrate your sub-trims and end-points to operate the MWC board correctly...

Settings: (this example is from my JR 9303 with Spektrum module)

- select HELI as aircraft type

- Dual Rate & Expo: (goal: you want to smooth out the Normal flight mode)
Flight Modes: Auto - Norm Pos 0, ST-1 Pos 1, ST-2 Pos 2
-Aileron-
Pos 1, DR 100%, EXP +30% (remember Futaba would be -30%...)
Pos 2, DR 100%, EXP +30% (put Wild setups here...)
-Elevator-
Pos 1, DR 100%, EXP +30%
Pos 2, DR 100%, EXP +30%
-Rudder-
Pos 0, DR 100%, EXP +5% (this is already too slow...)
Pos 1, DR 100%, EXP +5%
Pos 2, DR 100%, EXP +5%

- Pitch Curve - no changes here

- Throttle Curve
-Normal- (goal: you want to smooth out take-offs & landings, limit full power)
Point L- 0%
Point 1- 22%
Point 2- 38%
Point 3- 50%
Point 4- INH
Point 5- INH
Point H- 65% (limit full power so you don't hit the roof, shoot through trees...)
-ST-1-
-ST-2-

- Directions and Use:
- take off in Normal Flight Mode, your takeoff and the start of your flight will look smooth and under control.
- now while in a hover, switch to Stunt-1 and fly around like a crazy person, wow the crouds.
- when your timer sounds enter into a hover, switch to Normal Flight Mode for smooth controls, a precise hover, and then land like a pro.

These are the settings I use to help make this great little Quad fly easier for me, your mileage may very....

Good Luck!

John L.

Interesting to see how different pilots use different settings.

Me? I use no expo. I tried expo on helis and on quads and it's not for me. I prefer to train my thumbs as opposed to programming the TX for forgiveness at center stick. It's a personal preference.

As for throttle curve, I use an inhibited curve from 0% on PL to 100% on PH in "Normal." I see that you use this in ST1 and ST2. Me? I use a linear inhibited curve going from 0% to 100% on P5 in ST1 and from 0% to 100% on P4 in ST2. In other words, I use a normal linear curve in Normal, then I use a steeper curve in ST1 and even steeper in ST2.

I use NORM indoor (low ceiling), ST1 for night flying and ST2 for acrobatic flying. I find it gives me an edge for fast recoveries after a flip. Going from 0% on PL to 100% on P4 makes for a very steep curve and amazing throttle response. This also means that I do not need to move the throttle stick as much when pulling flips.

Just my own preferences. It looks like this:

NORM

Point L- 0%
Point 1- INH
Point 2- INH
Point 3- INH
Point 4- INH
Point 5- INH
Point H- 100%

ST1

Point L- 0%
Point 1- INH
Point 2- INH
Point 3- INH
Point 4- INH
Point 5- 100%
Point H- 100%

ST2

Point L- 0%
Point 1- INH
Point 2- INH
Point 3- INH
Point 4- 100%
Point 5- 100%
Point H- 100%

My end points are set to 150% on Ailerons, Elevator and Rudder
on all three flight modes. No Expo.

The thing is, with this quad, is that the GUI allows you to really tweak the flight characteristics as well. You can customize the stick response for ailerons, elevator and rudder to great extents, as well, and you can also set the auto level responsiveness. This is what I plan to share next, if the rain ever stops, here.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:06 AM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Out of curiosity, I measured the static max throttle current draw with 2S and 3S. Uncalibrated meter, both 40C packs are fresh off the charger.
Stock 5x4.5 3-bladed props.

~20A with 2S1300 (Dr. Jekyll)
~28A with 3S2200 (Mr. Hyde)

Thanks ukarmy40 for setting up this thread.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Out of curiosity, I measured the static max throttle current draw with 2S and 3S. Uncalibrated meter, both 40C packs are fresh off the charger.
Stock 5x4.5 3-bladed props.

~20A with 2S1300 (Dr. Jekyll)
~28A with 3S2200 (Mr. Hyde)

Thanks ukarmy40 for setting up this thread.
No problem. I'm glad there's now a place for everyone to post their information without bogging down the classifieds. Maybe we can even draw in some new interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
The thing is, with this quad, is that the GUI allows you to really tweak the flight characteristics as well. You can customize the stick response for ailerons, elevator and rudder to great extents, as well, and you can also set the auto level responsiveness. This is what I plan to share next, if the rain ever stops, here.

Best,
Chris
Chris, I'm relatively new to MultiWii myself but yes I do believe the GUI really has some untapped potential in terms of customizing flight characteristics. I don't know if this is what you meant by "stick response" but there are 2 boxes to the right of the PID values called "Rates." According to the MultiWii manual, it allows you to dynamically change the value of the PID's based on how much you move your sticks. From what I understand, it's like expo but instead of changing the resolution of the sticks, it changes the PID values in-flight. Ideally it would allow you to do precision hovers with minor stick movements, but when you wanted to go aerobatic and start slamming your sticks it would adjust the PID's and allow you to do so.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,751 Posts
I don't think the rate changes the PID. The PID remain the same as what you set them. PID will need to be adjusted depending on your flight preferences and on your frame size and general setup. The rate is more comparable to end points. It allows you to change how quick the yaw, flip and roll will operate.

This is my understanding. But I'm new to this, too.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
I don't think the rate changes the PID. The PID remain the same as what you set them. PID will need to be adjusted depending on your flight preferences and on your frame size and general setup. The rate is more comparable to end points. It allows you to change how quick the yaw, flip and roll will operate.

Best,
Chris
Ahh interesting. I guess I still have a bit more reading to do
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:49 PM
Custom quad builder
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Ok I am haveing some problems at first when I put power to the quad I had no LEDs I got that fixed now when I put power I have 2 green and one red that goes on and off the esc are arming when I try to thr up nothing happens
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:04 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Have you configured and calibrated everything via Multiwii_conf app?
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:26 PM
Richmond, Oh USA
Joined Feb 2001
87 Posts
Quote:

Best,
Chris
I think Chris got this part right. The big thing is you can't change the PID's mid-flight... I think using Stunt-1 and Stunt-2 then using -Expo to increase stick quickness might be the way to go.

Chris adjusts his throttle curves to quicken his throttle response in ST-1 & ST-2 to help with flips. You could also use -Expo to increase the response of the Quad's airlerons and elevator inputs too.

When you set it up with PID to be quick, you are stuck with it until your next computer session..... Maybe Version 2.1 Software can let us use channel 6 to select different PID's mid-flight....

I fly my Quad slow & precise, then quick and crazy. I think the radio flight modes suit me best for this.

Now if someone posts some PID settings that are killer, I will have to make some adjustments....

JM2C....

BTW - Instructions for the Hobbywing Skywalker 12 Amp ESC
http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...l/HW-01-SW.pdf
John Boy is online now Find More Posts by John Boy
Last edited by John Boy; Jun 09, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:28 PM
Custom quad builder
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Have you configured and calibrated everything via Multiwii_conf app?
I am trying to do that now but I can not get the bin file to open
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:41 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69x View Post
I am trying to do that now but I can not get the bin file to open
Please watch tc3wins' video tutorials linked in the first post. Especially the one titled "MultiWii GUI Part 2". You must configure and verify your transmitter channels/travel directions, center and limits properly.

Regarding your question in the other thread, chances are if you have the new version of the kit (with the multi-LED arms) , the red USB/Serial converter dongle is built onto your flight controller board. Look for the mini USB connector on it.