SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:20 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,519 Posts
Rant
Failed Battery...Lost Plane!

NOTE: This thread was originally titled: Failed BEC...Lost Plane, however if you read the whole thread you will see what we came up with that I believe caused my speeder to die an early death.

Right now I am so disgusted that I am ready to sell everything and try something else so bear with me as I just got home from the field and my blood pressure is a little high

Went to the field today to get a test flight in on the Monster (Build is on Fast Planes...Big Inrunners/Outrunners thread). Had to make some minor repairs on the BRAND NEW NEU 1515/1Y and just put it back in.

Hooked everything up checked all the wires. Ready to fly!

Gave the plane a toss into the wind gained altitude one circle of the field to get everything trimmed out then an upwind WOT pass. Sounded great...then a downwind WOT pass and just as the plane passed me I heard the motor cut then the plane did two lazy barrel rolls. I knew I had lost it but was thinking...I'll get it back!... so I literally stayed with it all the way to the ground constantly flying the sticks...all the time thinking...I'll get it back....NOT.

I had to drive to it because it had glided a long way before finally hitting the ground but I knew it was bad because I saw numerous pieces fly up in the air after impact.

The airframe is a total loss the beautiful NEU was burried in the plowed field with only the gold 6mm bullets sticking out of the ground. The lipo was toast but thankfully did not burn and burn up what was left.

The only bright spot is that I think the ESC survived because it was in the back of everything. It smashed one Cap and popped another off but it looks OK. Data was able to be transfered to the computer so I think it is fine.

On this crash since I lost so much money...I really wanted to find out what caused the signal loss. At first I was ready to throw all my Spektrum receivers in the garbage along with my DX7....BUT.....I decided to do a good investigation.

Everything was still hooked up! except for the motor which was burried in the field. I first tested the smushed Lipo which had not burned. Put a voltage tester in the balance leads and found it was still producing the proper voltage and had plenty left. Noticed that the BEC was still plugged in but the receiver was not on even though all the wires were still connected.

Then after I took a small piece of tape off of the BEC I noticed that it was burned...soooooooooooooo I lost everything to a failed BEC and that really stinks. Wonder if I send it back the guys at CC would tell me what happened to it? I was operating on 5S which is well below the rating for this BEC.
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Last edited by arcticflyer; Jun 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,077 Posts
hmm... I see your BEC leads are not alternating male/female could it have been swapped leads? on JUST the BEC? Being that the BEC is fairly low amperage, even with swapped leads they don't always burn up instantly and may take a little bit.
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,160 Posts
Stupid questions perhaps but...

Did you dissable the BEC from the ESC ?

How did you power that fan? Do i see a second BEC there in the right top of the picture? Are you sure you plugged the fan into that BEC and not into that lead coming from the RX?

Sorry for your loss.
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,519 Posts
I don't think so...and it was to long. I hooked everything up then checked wires put the wing on and walked some distance to the launch point...then flew for at least a minute before failure. Will that BEC supply power to the receiver with reversed polarity for that long? I would think Castle has a built in failsafe for reversed polarity...but hey...I don't know.

The loss of the airframe does not bother me as much as the loss of that NEU motor. I am going to see if it can be repaired but I don't think so with the back of the case that damaged.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,519 Posts
jj - Yes the wire from the ESC to the receiver has the center wire clipped.
No the BEC for the receiver was plugged into leads near the ESC and the BEC that I used for the fan was plugged into leads near the battery. If this was the first flight I can see getting confused and possibly plugging in the wrong thing but I have been flying this thing for some time like this.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:54 PM
Montreal
Joined Aug 2009
291 Posts
Ouchie! RIP HJK Speedwing Monster.
Jabberwocky_ is online now Find More Posts by Jabberwocky_
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:02 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,065 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash man, that sucks. It does look like the BEC failed on first glance, doesn't it....
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,519 Posts
The New Monster 1.1 should be arriving any day...I hope I can get motivated to build it! the loss of the NEU believe it or not is just as bad as the loss of the plane for me.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
The New Monster 1.1 should be arriving any day...I hope I can get motivated to build it! the loss of the NEU believe it or not is just as bad as the loss of the plane for me.

The motor may be salvageable if the stator wires were not damaged. We can cut the old case off and put it in a new housing. If you send it in we can see if it is fixable.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:27 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Deep Breath,Strong Drink......and that is for me,not you ..i have to many planes with a CC Bec in them.But on the real,MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU,i have been watching your progress from first post.Nobody ever said this hobby was easy,i know it has thickened up my skin,and thinned my wallet.....But the fun must go on.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:35 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,388 Posts
That sucks man, I feel your pain.

Throw it in the corner, go have a beer, think about how to fix it later,

I too have a squillion CCBEC's never had one fail though... That little chippy thing looks like it got damn hot. Ive burnt a SBEC before by sticking 5S voltage up its output leads, through having two many plugs and screwing up what went where (also took out all 5 servos in one awesome pop )

Id flick CC an email, see if they can shed any light on it.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jun 08, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:45 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,230 Posts
Yeah, keep your chin up. I'm sorry to see your plane all busted up, but you'll feel a little better after a couple days. I've been there many times too. It used to be a regular occurrence when we flew brushed motors on 72mhz On most of these high speed planes, I use a nimh AAA rx pack just because I've seen several BEC failures crash airplanes. The weight of the pack is nothing for a plane this size and you can use it to tune your cg

A friend handed me one of his planes once with both males on one side and both females on the other. Before I realized what was going on, I plugged his ESC in backwards and fried it. It's good insurance to put one male and one female per side so you can't screw that up. Then the only thing you can do wrong is plug the battery in to itself, which is not totally safe either, but at least you'll know it right away when the connectors try out some arc welding!

I suggest sending the motor in and putting the rest aside for a couple days. You've got a new Monster on the way don't you? It's going to be cool, so don't go selling it (unless you want to give me a shot at it! ). When you come back to the wreck, maybe you'll find some more bits that can be recycled. Even if it's just the aileron linkage, that will save you some time on the next one.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,519 Posts
Thanks Steve N - I'll send it in but I think the wires got crunched ( I added a couple of pics should I still send it?)...I'll be honest I'm more upset over the loss of that motor than the airframe...that was one kickin motor and it still wasn't done...data logger on the two runs I got in were really impressive and the ESC temps were really good to so the cooling mods were working.

Thanks for the encouragement guys...this crash was a tuff pill to swallow...and I am deffinately feeling the pain in the wallet as well...but the new monster is on the way and I've learned a ton on this one. Sad thing was it was finally trimmed out and I was starting to get really comfortable with flying it at speed. I feel sorry for my poor wife as she has to put up with me moping around for a few days.

I'll get the servos out of the wing tomorrow they are fine...I think for the next build am going to use an RDS Aileron System to cut down on drag.

Need to replace the caps that are missing on the ESC and it will be OK, and have to send the receiver back to Horizon as one antenna was yanked out.

Gonna email CC tomorrow and see if they want to look at the BEC...it wasn't that old and I know I double checked those wires before putting on the wing so WHO KNOWS?! It is an electric part and things happen sometimes!

Got a notice for a package at the Post Office so I hope it is Monster number 2
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:46 AM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss. Believe me, I've been there. I had a fly-away on my Snipp. Best I can figure is that a repair I'd done on the tail came loose and as a result it just started looping. I doubt I'll ever find it. I stayed away from RC for a couple of weeks.

Not only did I do exactly what you did while it was on the way down, but I must have stood there with transmitter in hand with no plane to control for a full minute completely stunned.

Monster # 2 will be awesome. RDS is a great idea.

The receiver antenna is not user replaceable? On Futaba they snap on. Not hard to fix at all.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:48 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,230 Posts
The winding looks ok to me.

Spektrum antennas are soldered on. You can fix that yourself, but if you're not comfortable with it, I'm sure they'll take care of it for next to nothing.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C