HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
251 Posts
Bumping my thread

I am just bumping this up since I am finally able to get back to this project, WOW what a crazy summer.

I may have to get a different set of LG so that I can swing a larger prop, but that is OK.

Terry
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:02 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
251 Posts
Sig Kadet LT-40

Well I actually have a Kadet LT-40. I needed to get the correct info and when I measured the WS it turned out to be 70 inches. That makes it a LT-40, not the senior that I was told it was when I bought it used.

900 sq. in. wing
14-15.5 oz/sq.ft loading
weighs in at 5.5-6 lbs.

I am still thinking of the basic conversion as described earlier and go with a Hyperion motor since it is only about $20 more. Longer flights and better battery life or smaller batteries to save weight is all good. I still need to get the front wheel on to get the exact height for the center line of the motor.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:05 AM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
251 Posts
I have placed an order with Headsuprc for a more economical setup. I am getting an Emax 35326/05 and a 60 amp switched ESC. Swinging an APC 11 x 7E or 12 x 6E on 4s I should get approximately 630 or 720 watts respectfully on a 950 motor.

Since I need a charger that can handle the bat, I will be placing a second order for them in the next week or 2. The Tower Hobbies receiver is dated 1991 making it 21 yrs old and there is some rework that needs to be done to the firewall. Everything is fuel proofed so that needs to be cleaned up first so glue will stick.

Will post again soon with some pics.

Terry
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:58 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
251 Posts
Headsup service

I placed my order with Headsuprc on Friday afternoon and I received it this morning (Tuesday). Now that is unbelievably fast service!!!

Last night I weighed up the old slimer engine, battery and lead weights and it totals well over 500 grams. The new electric setup weighs 496 grams less the battery os this is going to work out just fine.

When the next pile of eagle poo comes in I will be ordering the batteries and charger along with a decent watt meter. I hope to have the motor properly mounted and battery bay ready to go by then.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,476 Posts
Okay, now I'm really confused- what's this about eagl poo?
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:06 AM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
Okay, now I'm really confused- what's this about eagl poo?
It is military slang for payday. I cleaned it up by substituting the word poo for s#*t
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:04 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,476 Posts
Now I got it!
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,739 Posts
FWIW, the 1991 date on the Rx only means it meets 1991 narrow band standards (still in effect for 72 band radios, not that it was manufactured in 1991. I can't remember when mfgs just took it for granted that everyone knew about the change-over from the old two-color frequencies.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:39 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I have a Kadet Senior and picture of attempted last fuel flight. Also I use HURC for all my electric power needs including my lipo's from 2S to 6S/45C bigboys. They are very cost effective, and come with HURC's fast and inexpensive shipping along with 100% customer satisfaction and a guaranty you know you can trust.....zeezee/Dave
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:13 AM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
251 Posts
Thanks Howell, it is good when a person learns something new. I just figured it was the mfg date.

Dave, I agree, HURC service is second to none. The absolute best.

I am going to have to build a standoff/mount for the motor. I purchased the large adjustable motor mount from HURC and the old saying of measure twice and cut once applies. When it is properly configured the mount is about 1/8 inch too wide for the motor bay. The mount is of good quality and I am sure that I can find a use for it in the future. I picked up some basswood from the over priced LHS to get it built, they did not have anything for light ply. I am going to order some light ply and other wood from Sig Mfg.

Terry
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:01 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,166 Posts
Hi Terry, here's a few options I've used in my Sig LT-25 to mount about 4 different sized motors, all using the original firewall blind nut positions for the glow mount. The reason I went with channel instead of tubular spacers was a) those nylon tubes are not available in hardware stores here and b) consistent thickness without having to rely on precision cutting.

The image I don't have is the current setup - just a suitable block of 3/4" thick pine thru-drilled for the mounting plate plus a big hole for the motor leads and ventilation. Crude but effective.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:38 AM
victoria texas
Joined Jul 2003
144 Posts
kadet twin and a converted slimer to 60 size e, oh and a Mojo 60
ucrash2 is offline Find More Posts by ucrash2
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
251 Posts
Thanks scirocco, I though about aluminum also but there is nothing at work that will work so it is going to be a basswood box.

Ucrash2, that is one sweet twin that you have got there. I googled kadet twin and there are some really nice ones out there. Did you design yours or did you purchase it that way? Sig's web site does not show any.

I do have a set of glider wings that were given to me that I have thought about turning into a twin. They will need major rework for the condition that they are in though. That makes for a winter project and wood from Sig .
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
victoria texas
Joined Jul 2003
144 Posts
The twin was an old club trainer forgotten and left in the mower shed to die. A rat had chewed the aft fuselage up and all the sheeting was fuel soaked. I rebuilt the fuselage and jeff did the wing work. he split the 1 piece wing into two and added the motor nacelles.
The red kadet is my favorite, it can hover like 3d, fun to get the old guys stirred up. The exact same power system as the mojo 3d plane. 6s 4000mah lipo on a 60 size 400kv motor 3 blade 16x6 prop.

Kadet cam 7-1-2011.wmv (5 min 25 sec)
ucrash2 is offline Find More Posts by ucrash2
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
251 Posts
Hey ucrash2, that is an awsome vid of your Kadet there, I can see why it is your favorite. That is funny about the rat, my glilder wings and its fuse definitely took a hard hit before they were donated to me. The wings could be adapted to something like a modifity IAI Heron. I will have to get some pics of the pieces and get them posted but my Kadet Lt-40 conversion is top priority.

I am going to have to come up with a new way to mount the steering since the old Dou-bro slimer engine mount contained everything I needed. I may just get a new front steering assembly and bore out the basswood to make life easy, besides the old one is a bit corroded and sticky.

I placed another order with HURC for the batteries and charger along with some other small parts for some indoor foamies that I am building. I have a couple of small motors laying around just waiting to take to the sky. I will place another order for their servos and such in the future.