HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
hi all. I think im even more newbie then all of u with regards to the builds. What are the list of components did y'all use when building the uav? Did y'all spend a lot of money building them?
suanruey is offline Find More Posts by suanruey
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:30 AM
Gaftopher
Gary Mortimer's Avatar
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
@mblco That's insane, excellent work!
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
patrickegan's Avatar
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,838 Posts
Yeah, we may have to talk about that on the podcast too.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
Registered User
brakar's Avatar
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
421 Posts
One of my neighbours have been playing with these toy helicopters for years: http://www.proxdynamics.com/products/pd_100_prs/ Looks like serial production has finally started. (But unfortently it is probably only the militarys who can afford these toys).
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
patrickegan's Avatar
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,838 Posts
That is BAD @$$. What did your version of DARPA pay for that?
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:55 AM
Registered User
icebear's Avatar
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Quote:
I built many versions of small UAVs from 1998-1999. This was before lithium batteries and I used a Cox .010 and .020 in my designs. The one shown here is 8" size and carries a color video camera and transmitter (1999 technology!) as well as a roll/yaw gyro system for increased stability. I flew this model in FPV mode many times and one version exceeded 20 minutes flight duration.

Steve
Steve - that's really impressive! And even more so knowing it's based on 1990's technology!
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:02 AM
Registered User
icebear's Avatar
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Quote:
One of my neighbours have been playing with these toy helicopters for years: http://www.proxdynamics.com/products/pd_100_prs/ Looks like serial production has finally started. (But unfortently it is probably only the militarys who can afford these toys).
Great neighbours you have! And wow - that's a tiny UAV heli. Now my attempts seem quite heavy... :-(
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Registered User
icebear's Avatar
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Successful test flight

Hi,

I managed to fly theSwift II with a Gluonpilot onboard today and in spite of some gusty wind the GP managed to fly this small wing quite well.

I just did some Standby circles on autopilot and one waypoint since I noticed the WP's were at 100 meters altitude and THAT made this wing small...

See attached screendump from the Ground station.

Tomorrow I will hopefully meet Tom here to recieve a Gluonpilot that has been modified for minimum weight!

/Bjorn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
David1
bmw330i's Avatar
USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,478 Posts
I have an entry. 16.5" wingspan. 85g RTF weight.

Paparazzi Umarim autopilot
XBee S2 2.4gHz RF
u-blox reference board GPS with Helix antenna and 6Q MAX module
2s 7.4v 120mAh lipo
HK airframe (micro funjet)

I'll put more photos and info on my Paparazzi thread and Paparazzi Wiki (wiki will have howto).

Total build time: 2hrs. About 30min more to do a proper wiring harness for the batt to ESC+autoplot and mount the xbee and Umarim a bit better. This is a test fit to check it all works. I powered it up and so far so good. I need to now make an airframe file. A funjet one will work just fine.

-DC
bmw330i is offline Find More Posts by bmw330i
Last edited by bmw330i; Jun 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:37 AM
Gaftopher
Gary Mortimer's Avatar
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,820 Posts
Well done!
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
Registered User
icebear's Avatar
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330i View Post
I have an entry. 16.5" wingspan. 85g RTF weight.
Paparazzi Umarim autopilot
XBee S2 2.4gHz RF
u-blox reference board GPS with Helix antenna and 6Q MAX module
2s 7.4v 120mAh lipo
HK airframe (micro funjet)
I'll put more photos and info on my Paparazzi thread and Paparazzi Wiki (wiki will have howto).
Total build time: 2hrs. About 30min more to do a proper wiring harness for the batt to ESC+autoplot and mount the xbee and Umarim a bit better. This is a test fit to check it all works. I powered it up and so far so good. I need to now make an airframe file. A funjet one will work just fine.
-DC
Wow! That loks neat...

I just re-installed my gear in the Swift II wing - managed to save 20 grams by;

- taking away the rx cover and shring wrapped it - 2grams
- smaller antennas on the rx -1 g
- smaller motor - 5g
- smaller ESC - 5g
- skipped the extension board and used separate BEC/XBEE board - 7g

Shrink wrapped the Gluonpilot finally and the whole setup now weighs in at 150 grams with 450 mAh 2S-pack.

The micro funjet looks nice so I'll look forward to a flight report...

/Bjorn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Last edited by icebear; Jun 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
David1
bmw330i's Avatar
USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
Wow! That loks neat...

I just re-installed my gear in the Swift II wing - managed to save 20 grams by;

- taking away the rx cover and shring wrapped it - 2grams
- smaller antennas on the rx
- skipped the extension board and used separate BEC/XBEE board

Shrink wrapped the Gluonpilot finally and the whole setup now weighs in at 150 grams with 450 mAh 2S-pack.

The micro funjet looks nice so I'll look forward to a flight report...

/Bjorn
On something that small those improvements are big. Way to go.

I hit a challenge. When I measured the CG I found it was horribly noseheavy. Enough that I wonder how it even balanced with only a battery and Rx. So, I had to cut another hatch back even farther. Then move the autopilot back. GPS back...

I was thinking of putting canard wings on the front. Anyone know if this would help move the CG forward?

-DC
bmw330i is offline Find More Posts by bmw330i
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
Registered User
icebear's Avatar
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Flight success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330i View Post
On something that small those improvements are big. Way to go.
I hit a challenge. When I measured the CG I found it was horribly noseheavy. Enough that I wonder how it even balanced with only a battery and Rx. So, I had to cut another hatch back even farther. Then move the autopilot back. GPS back...
I was thinking of putting canard wings on the front. Anyone know if this would help move the CG forward?
-DC
Thanks DC - Tom helped out by making a special Gluonpilot with less headers and a separate BEC unit...

I did a test flight with the new Gluonpilot and lighter setup yesterday night and it went really well. I made a route by the beach and did some WPs and Standby circles and even an auto-landing - a bit scary since the plane was over the ocean when it descended...

Here is a screendump of the final track and route from the GCS.

About canards - yes, CoG ought to move fwd and I remember seeing a very smart formula of calculating CG in a thread about Rutan's Vari EZE - do a search on Vari EZE and CG to see...

/Bjorn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion What the smallest AWG you have used from ESC to motors babanan Multirotor Talk 11 May 12, 2012 03:59 AM
Rant Who is still scratch building? Let's see what you have. (please) boredom.is.me Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 55 Apr 10, 2012 06:55 PM
Discussion What's the longest you have been awake? AustinTatious Life, The Universe, and Politics 27 Nov 18, 2011 04:59 PM
Question What's the largest UAV you built? nodirbek13 UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 16 Apr 07, 2009 05:55 PM
Axi 2820/10 Motor: What's the smallest plan you guys have packed these into? kbw99 Electric Sailplanes 16 Apr 09, 2003 08:20 AM