HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:59 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Great job Colonel! Apologies for the tardiness of my congratulations. At first busy with my Dolphin build, then planning the next one. I really need some calm, not frosty weather to finish the flight testing. I've become a bit soft since retirement, not dead 'ard like you Yorkshire lads.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:12 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,464 Posts
Now as 2012 draws to a close, along with wishing everyone good health and great building & flying in 2013, I just thought I'd post a video of some of the flights that I've had with the Ajax. The video is simply a collection of snippets which (for me at least) show the relaxed joy of flying a lightweight Vintage model.

There is also a short 'free flight' where the only RC inputs were moving the throttle from zero to full for the launch and climb, and then back to zero after about 20s - just to see if I'd built something which would have performed tolerably well without RC.

Finally, there is a little 'on-board' footage.

Ajax snips (4 min 28 sec)
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:08 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,424 Posts
Inspirational stuff Colonel - should show everyone why these rubber to electric R/C conversions are worth doing. And I'm prepared to bet that if Louis Heath and Albert Hatfull could have seen those videos they would have been extremely chuffed and totally amazed to see their simple little creation flying like that.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:54 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Absolutely brilliant Col! I take my John Deere cap off to you for an excellent build and a superb video.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:23 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Nice flying video Colonel, thanks for posting. The extra weight of the keycam reminds us all the importance of keeping the weight of small aircraft under control. Like the FF, great!

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:46 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
912 Posts
Well done Colonel! Takes me back, the KK Ajax was my first model aircraft.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
Nice One , Colonel an example to us all. Yes HNY from Sky Jiver.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:08 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,464 Posts
Update......

A few weeks ago, the Ajax suffered a little hangar rash (or to be more precise, Hyundai rash) when my Tx fell off the parcel shelf and gave the fuselage a glancing blow. Damage was thankfully slight; nothing structural, but the joysticks had punched two holes in the covering on the fuz top. This, coupled with small holes in two side panels (from the u/c which didn't want to stay plugged in when held by elastic bands), the nose block which still had to be refitted now the thrustline was about right, and also a desire to shift the Lipo forward to get rid of the lead banded under the nose and to convert to 2.4GHz meant that it was taken to the belfry workstation for a minor refit.

Replacing the covering on the holed panels indicated just how much the covering had faded - which in turn made me realise that I had to be a bit neater with the trimming the edges of the patches, as they are blatantly visible! The replacement panels on either side are a little neater.

I cut a couple of panels from the nose and the 35MHz Tx was peeled off its base (good old hot glue!) and the Orange 2.4GHz Tx connected. No matter how I faffed with the Rx and lipo, I couldnt find a suitable place for both where I could firmly affix and yet still be accessible for removal (Lipo) or rebinding (Tx). As far as I can see, this is the one disadvantage of 2.4GHz over 35MHz - with 35meg it seems to be a bit more 'install and forget', whereas with 2.4GHz it sounds like rebinding is an occasional requirement - for instance, I have had to rebind after setting up the ESC parameters for some reason, and the manual says to rebind after setting up Tx functions like expo etc. I don't really understand that bit nor what will happen if you don't, as so far I have only the Gypsy on 2.4gig and that flies 'as is'.....

I finally decided that prevarication was getting me nowhere and decided on a good old fashioned bodge, stuffing a load of bubble wrap in and around the Rx and leaving a 'pocket' where the Lipo could go. It probably won't work, but we'll see and the Kitten was calling me! Knocked up a hatch lid and magnet to stop it all flying out the top when flying inverted......

The other thing I did was extend the elevator to try and gain some sort of attitude control for those occasions when it may be helpful; though I have found that this lovely little design flies absolutely fine and dandy just by using throttle and rudder. Using some clear plastic off the top of a packet of Christmas cards, I taped on an extension, giving 25%(?) more elevator area. It is yet to be flight proven, and if that doesn't give me more positive control I will start packing the wing TE to reduce the decalage and longitudinal stability.

So, I managed to remove the lead from under the nose and have fitted a lighter Rx and some extra packing and magnets, plus the elevator extension. The CG has moved back slightly from the spar (really must make a balancing jig rather than the old sausage fingers!) but I think it needed it. AUW has gone from c162g down to 150g - which means that it should handle lofting 18g of keycam a lot more easily!!!

Having trouble loading photos at moment, will try again later!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:40 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,424 Posts
They are always better once they have acquired a few patches Colonel!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:58 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,464 Posts
This morning I had cause to leave for the Place of Travail a little later than usual, so I passed by my flying location at just after eight of the clock. It was a crystal clear blue sky, but hazy. Steam from the milkman's horse effluent was going vertically upwards, and from the back of the old jalopy, like a couple of kids I heard the Ajax & Gypsy saying "Can we go flying? eh? eh? Can we? Can we? Can we?"

Not one to be churlish enough to turn down my nearest and dearest, I felt that a day as still as this would be hard to come by and I pulled in. The field was empty of dogs and their owners, and white and solid with frost in the minus 4 degree morn.

I had a most enjoyable 10 mins or so with each model, trying to keep them downsun of old Sol who at this time of year and hour of the day was at about eye height .

Well, the Ajax definitely shows it's reduced weight - full power climbs are now a bit steeper than optimum (but don't lead to a stall) and if I hadn't already glued the nose block on, I would probably increase down and sidethrust a little. However, it is eminently handleable and so like as not I'll leave it. It was very sensitive to rudder inputs - which reminded me that I had -25% expo on 35MHz and hadn't added that on the DX6i (I've just done it now). The Extend-O-Vator works a treat; I can even get a little flare for landing on a closed throttle. I will admit to seeing if I could get a loop out of it (poor old girl! ) and she executed a couple of great 'rolls off the top' as the dihedral and decalage overcome the elevator and got her on the straight and narrow again. I did manage a couple of full 'up & over the top' loops from slight power dives. Holding full up and right with no throttle she will go into a gentle nose down spiral (nowhere near a spin) which she comes out of the second you centralise the sticks. However, the most impressive part is how slow she will fly! Get to about 25% throttle straight and level, and it whirrs about at a somewhere between a brisk walk and a slow trot. Managed three or four landings (all upright!!) and even one touch and go.

For me, it is now just at the right point in that it is very stable (and so if you get into trouble you can let go and it will sort itself out) but has more elevator authority than before. Very nice, and child's play to fly!!!
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:06 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,424 Posts
Tsk, tsk Colonel. Playing truant to fly toy aeroplanes!! No wonder Mr Cameron is tearing his hair out over the state of the economy and my pension is being decimated by the downward spiral of the pound/euro exchange rate.

Good for you, I'll bet the working day seemed a whole lot brighter after that!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
No wonder Mr Cameron is tearing his hair out....
I will email him an apology first thing in the morning!

But yes, it did make the day that much more enjoyable...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:27 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,116 Posts
Where is the "Like" button????
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:54 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
950 Posts