SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:27 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

Mike: If it turns out that you'll miss the cutoff date for the Britkit build off, don't let that stop you from making the DolphinE. I have always been convinced that you need a 'buzz' to build a model and it seems that's what you get from the Dolphin. I for one will follow with interest!!
Ah, Dear Colonel, Many thanks for your support (it fits very snugly). My only reservation is that I, as a humble farm worker (Retired), will be able to match, not only your skill and artistry, but also the eloquent description of your progress.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:09 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
Don't worry about being eloquent Mike, just build the model and we'll all enjoy seeing it come to life! And don't apologise for the build in advance - we all thought the Colonel knew nothing to start with and look how it turned out!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
321 Posts
Yes to all the previous urgings. I'm looking forward to your build too.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:04 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,617 Posts
There you go Mike - you have publicly stated your intentions! No excuses will work now - you are doomed.....

EDIT: Just seen that you've started a build log - Good Show!!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:12 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,617 Posts
Update: A bit of side and downthrust has indeed tamed the Ajax's worst excesses of standing on its tail and left wingtip; further thrustline adjustment testing is awaiting clement weather which coincides with my availability and daylight!!! When I'm happy with the thrustline the nose block will be refettled to fit - and I may also convert to 2.4GHz!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Whilst building my original Gipsy I wrote a piece about my aeromodelling youth..... if I find it and my scanner has OCR, I'll post it on my blog.
I found it, and here it is..........
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1770198

I also notice that this thread has exceeded 10,000 views! You really need to get out more.....
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
277 Posts
HI Colonel, 10,000 very entertaining views, even my KK Competitor has picked up a few. I am looking forward to your KK Chief build, but all in good time. Sky Jiver.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,617 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments, SJ! I'm enjoying the Competitor build immensely - though don't hold your breath for the Chief!!!

After a couple of abortive trips to the field - one where the wind made it 'a bit sporting' (ie bloody hairy!) and another where for some reason the Lipo had gone open circuit (something internal - with that lipo only being 3 a time, I'm not going to mess about with it) - yesterday was calm enough to check out the extra thrustline adjustments and removal of some nose weight.

I reckon the thrustline is now fine - I'll post a video as soon as the Vimeo pixies have completed their conversion work on it. On full throttle, the model enters a sustainable climb, with a steady left hand bank.

Moving the CG back (need to check where it is now) has not shown any hint of a stall, but the glide is a little flatter. I could possibly move it back even further? Although I don't need a burst of throttle to flare for landing any more, 'up' elevator is still not having any flaring effect at landing speeds with no propwash - and little effect at flying speeds with propwash. Would this possibly be improved by moving the CG back a little further? Generally, the model is totally stable in flight.

I'm really enjoying learning about the aerodynamics here! I'm hesitant to say that anything is now correct, as I have nothing to compare to - but I reckon that it's getting close! I can refit the noseblock now..

When converted, the first video will be a short one hopefully showing the climb, steady flight, and glide; and the second is a longer version of the same for those who have the time or inclination to watch a vintage model ambling around the sky....

Short:
Ajax short (0 min 0 sec)

Long:
Ajax long (0 min 0 sec)
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:58 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Loved the video Colonel, it looks bl**dy cold!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:30 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
Looks pretty well sorted to me now Colonel. I find that some of my models, notably the Bantam and Zephyr, need a touch of throttle to flare nicely on landing, others like the Witch and the Tom Tit will do it on the glide path throttle setting or even dead stick. I suppose it is all down to a combination of the CG position and elevator authority, however, I quite like the challenge of feathering the model in with that little throttle adjustment, and I don't change them if the handling is otherwise OK.

This Ajax really has been a success story, I'll bet you are awfully glad you started it now!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
Loved the video Colonel, it looks bl**dy cold!
Cold? Naaaaaaaahhhh..... there was only a bit of frost! I am seriously considering knocking up some skis for flying in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
This Ajax really has been a success story, I'll bet you are awfully glad you started it now!
Certainly am!!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,617 Posts
My apologies for the necessarily curt post earlier - Mrs Blink was awaiting my company on a purchasing expedition, and had got to the exasperated stage

Yes, I am very glad I started the Ajax - it flies in a very relaxed and stable manner, and there is a real sense of achievement in seeing something you have created from raw materials aviating in such a graceful fashion. However, I have to give heartfelt thanks to all those who have contributed to the build - it's been like having an infinite 24hr clubhouse, but not having to buy anyone a drink!!! Obviously, special thanks needs to go to you George; your timely and sage advice has been invaluable.

I thank you all for your time and effort!!!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:02 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
My pleasure Colonel, I'm just chuffed to see such a great outcome.

Purchasing expedition eh - on a Sunday. Ah yes, I remember the 7 day trading well from before we moved here. In the Haute Vienne nothing moves much on a Sunday and as for shops being open..... Madame Sundancer complains vociferously about the lack of retail therapy, especially as most of them are also closed on Mondays and for two hours each lunch time. I find this very amusing as, if you remember that far back (you may not be old enough!) when the great debate about Sunday trading took place in the UK, the cry was that we either wanted - or did not want depending on your views - a "continental Sunday". I can only suppose that the people who coined this expression had never visited rural France!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Nov 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
277 Posts
Loved the video Colonel, nice landing. Please may I enquire the prop size and type, I have a GWS 7 x 3.5 waiting which looks a tad small for the Competitor, but time will tell, I am thinking slight down and right thrust, again time will tell. KBO.. SJ.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,617 Posts
SJ - the prop is a 6 x 3 GWS; yes it looks a bit small compared to the original 10" jobby, but when it's spinning it isn't noticable.....
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Jiver View Post
Loved the video Colonel, nice landing. Please may I enquire the prop size and type, I have a GWS 7 x 3.5 waiting which looks a tad small for the Competitor, but time will tell, I am thinking slight down and right thrust, again time will tell. KBO.. SJ.
SJ, the 7 x 3.5 is the biggest prop you should use on the BRC1811, anything bigger will risk frying something. Probably better to start with a 6 x 3, which should fly the model perfectly well. A bit of down and right won't do any harm.
RCG Plus Member