HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Well I'm sorry to rain on your parade Colonel but this cannot possibly be a KK Ajax because it didn't land in a tree! Your cunning ploy of flying up on the moor proves the point. Any self respecting Ajax would fly for miles if necessary, to instinctively seek out and perch on the nearest tree, pole or roof. Goodness this is not going to inspire the next generation of fetchermites where the only risk is a dunking in a puddle and no ripped clothing.

Its just not cricket you know, its enough to make me eat me hot cross bun and bar!

Well actually it was really nice to see an Ajax pull off a bit of a greaser on landing!

Nice one, well done.
Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:58 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Dale View Post
Any self respecting Ajax would fly for miles if necessary, to instinctively seek out and perch on the nearest tree, pole or roof.....Ian
That would explain why it sometimes seemed reluctant to answer to the sticks....it had obviously spied a distant beech.....

Thanks for the kind words!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Dale View Post
Well actually it was really nice to see an Ajax pull off a bit of a greaser on landing! Ian
Last year, I flew my (rubber powered, ff) Ajax at Old Warden; it really impressed an RC flyer by doing a 3-point landing on its own! Wheels well forward ...
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
I'm really not that happy at the moment! I put it down to three main reasons:

1) I've not managed to fly the Ajax since the maiden flights, and it seems that every time I looking out of the window I see the trees shaking......

2) The days now are rapidly shortening, which means travelling to and from work in the dark, and then trying to fit so much more domestic duties into the weekend. I do most of my flying by stopping off during those journeys. I'm definitely not a 'winter' person; in fact I believe I may even have a little seasonal affective disorder. Yes, I like the clear blue skies over a snow covered landscape, but how many of those do we genuinely get here in the UK? Seeing the skies in Harry D's video of the Dandy flying is causing me to go more than a little green.

3) The other thing that is niggling me is....well...... let's just say that I keep looking at plans.

So it's all your bloody fault!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:15 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Aha Colonel, there you go, you've caught "vintage modelus buideritis". there is no known cure, but on the upside it does give you something to do during those dark winter days, and then you will have something else to fly when spring does come around, as it will, even in Ilkley. Sorry to have been instrumental in causing this illness - well, no I'm not really, it would be a crime for someone who builds as well as you do and obviously enjoys it so much to not be infected!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:50 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
I'm with George, This build log was so entertaining I can't wait for your next build! Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:13 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Perhaps the cure for Blink's dissorder is to build something to fly when the wind is up a bit.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
Perhaps the cure for Blink's dissorder is to build something to fly when the wind is up a bit.
I'll admit to be considering a power to electric conversion for the 2013 build off....
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
This morning dawned with clear blue skies, and the air near as dammit completely still - in short, a beautiful morning for flying a 30" electric vintage model.....

...unfortunately, I've been at work!

I've started some work on the Gypsy - getting the wing ready for recovering (I'll be using tissue and mylar again, having bought some varnish and having some Esaki left over from the Ajax). Gary has kindly allowed me to tag my progress on the end of his Gipsy thread, because my 'restoration' doesn't really warrant a thread of its own.

Looking at the video of the Ajax, I was overcontrolling on take off, making it have a trajectory like a skateboarder in a halfpipe.... is this what you use expo for? I have a second hand Futaba T6EXA and it is the first radio I've had with this facility (in fact, it's only the second radio I've ever had).

I am also considering going 2.4GHz with a DX6i to save the chances of interference on 35MHz (people up the Moor often fly standing three quarters of a mile apart and dont bother with any sort of frequency control). 2.4GHz will save me a little bit of onboard weight, but will save me trying to hide a few feet of aerial. It would also simplify things should I get to any Vintage meets (if I wont be tarred and feathered for cheating by using radiophonic guidance and electrickery for motive power....).

Anyone here use Spektrum? And do you use the full range or Parkflyer Rxs??

So many questions, so little brain..........
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:41 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Hi Colonel

Exponential, especially on elevator, is useful for calming down those twitchy fingers we all seem to suffer from especially on first flights. Just remember what you want is negative exponential.

On 2.4 Gig. I am a very recent convert myself; having some thirty 35 MHz receivers I was very reluctant to make the change and have only been flying 2.4 for the last six months or so. I have two Futaba FF8 Txs and converted one with a Spectrum module which a good friend kindly donated. For receivers I was recommended to "invest" in the little Spectrum compatible Orange receivers from Hobbyking in HK, which are 6 dollars each! (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._OrangeRX.html). I now have eight of these and have flown them extensively and quite ruthlessly to detect any problems with range etc., including putting one in one of my E400 soarers and climbing it literally out of sight numerous times, all I can say is that they have so far been faultless. They are small, light (the 39 gram weight quoted on the Hobbyking web site is the "shipping weight", they don't weigh anything like that - I can't weigh one at the moment as they are all in models!) and very convenient to set up and install. The receivers have a port for a satellite receiver, and one is available, but I have not resorted to this although maybe I might if I use them in bigger models. Only point to watch is that I understand that the latest Spectrum Txs have been changed so that the older Orange Rxs which were fine with earlier Spectrums don't work with them - with the receivers at 6 dollars a pop you can imagine why Spectrum would make this change - but I would be amazed if the current Rxs hadn't been changed so they do work.

I was also tempted to invest in a Turnigy 9X 2.4 gig Tx and five receivers for very little cost from the same source, the Rxs are bigger and a bit heavier than the Orange ones, but by no means heavy, and this combo has also been subjected to the same testing, suffice to say that all five Rxs are now in models. The only two things against the Turnigy Tx is having to learn a new programming system after many years with the FF8, but it is pretty simple (although no manual was provided with the Tx everything you need to know is available on t'internet), and remembering to have ALL the Tx switches in the "UP" position when switching it on, otherwise it tells you it won't work! That caused a bit of head scratching at first!

So my 2.4 gig experience has been very positive so far, and for the smaller models there is a very real benefit in not having a mile of aerial trailing behind. I currently have eight mostly smaller models on 2.4 gig with the FF8/Spectrum and Orange Rxs, five middle size ones on 2.4 with the Turnigy gear and about a dozen mainly bigger sport and scale models with 35 MHz dual conversion Rxs in them - and a big box full of spare 35 MHz Rxs and crystals Note to self: Must build more models!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
Thanks for your comprehensive answer, George! I've just had a look at the Turnigy 9X and am amazed that I can get a 2.4GHz 9ch combo for just over 50 shipped..... And it looks like the weight of the Rxs is 18g, but if you shed the casing drops to 9g - which is equivalent to the Orange Rx for the Spektrum (though this drops to c4g if you lose the case).

However...... buying 50 worth of radio from HK is pushing my self - imposed 'rules' (see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=20); plus there's a bit of me that always prefer to hit the middle ground - and the Spektrum DX6i has almost become a baseline standard - as long as it will bind with the Orange receivers (is this when they introduced DSMX - the Orange blurb only says DSM2 - but then again, I havent a clue what I'm talking about!)

Hmmmmmm. Decisions decisions.........
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:49 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Like you Colonel I'm not sure as to exactly when the non-compatibility issues with Spectrum arose, you are probably right. It didn't bother me as I knew they were OK with the module I had for my FF8. You are quite right about the Spectrum syuff having become a sort of de facto standard, and that is as good a reason for buying it as any (it was why I originally changed to Futaba many years ago, a move I never regretted). However, having to pay for the relatively expensive Rxs would be a bit of a downer when the Hobbyking Orange ones are so good.

I'll PM you with what Tony Oliver, my 2.4 gig "adviser" said.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I'll PM you with what Tony Oliver, my 2.4 gig "adviser" said.
Verry interestink................!!! Thanks for that.

Some more research required, methinks..... I'm loathe to start beating eBay after having bought a couple of 35MHz trannies that proved to be less than perfect...
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,630 Posts
Just come back from a school playing field a few miles from home, having just flown the Ajax for a second time. Flew for a full 10 mins and landed with 26% charge remaining, with one landing in the middle.

Although it was nice and still at ground level, the model was bobbing about at altitude - I can only presume that there was some air movement when higher than the trees forming the field perimeter. Trim seemed a little odd as well - perhaps I should have double checked the CG before I flew this evening.

As I was a little less in awe of the fact that it actually flew, I noticed that it seems to have a severe reaction to motor torque - any more than about a third to half throttle and it wants to bank to the left - or conversely needs a heavy bootful of rudder to bank right. Also I am perhaps understanding about the model fighting against being controlled - put in rudder, wait a quarter of a second, it thuds into a bank, then half a second later without altering rudder input the model fights to right itself....so you let it know who's boss, and put some more rudder in and it all happens again. Makes for a wobbly flight trajectory!!!

Still think that perhaps some expo on rudder may help - perhaps I'm putting too much rudder in because I'm expecting instant reaction? But stooging around on a small throttle setting is what the Ajax does best.

Final landing was a nice roll over the grass, and as it was cold and dark it was time to go home. This is when I noticed that the cold temperature and damp atmosphere had made all the covering go baggy! That wouldnt have helped the aerodynamics. But after the trip home with the car heater on, the covering had tightened up again.

Wonder how the Gypsy will differ???

That now makes 18mins of airtime, and 18mins of pure enjoyment
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:11 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Hi Colonel - yes, one drawback with thew varnish finish is that it is more susceptible to slackening in damp cool conditions than a dope finish, but as you say it quickly returns to normal with no harm done.

It sounds like you need some right thrust, I find 2 to 3 degrees usually does the trick. On rudder response; it is after all basically a F/F model so one would expect it to have self righting tendencies, although I am surprised that it needs a bootful of rudder to start a turn. I was out flying the Sportster, Witch and Tom Tit this evening and even with small rudder deflections they respond instantly and smoothly. Bit more investigation of the trim needed maybe? But, as you rightly say, gentle cruising is what these models do best.
RCG Plus Member