SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:02 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,618 Posts
Another QQ..... how much throw would be needed on rudder & elevator? I was thinking about 10mm max on rudder and 5mm on elevator? Sizes can be seen in the photo. I'm hoping i wont need more throw than that, as due to my own poor design they start to foul one another.........whoops!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
Sounds about OK to me Colonel. Maybe set these (10 mm rudder and 5 mm elevator) as values for, say 60% rates then if you find they are not enough you could switch one of the rates out. But I honestly think they will be enough, my Witch has a very small rudder and only needs that much throw.

All this talk of control throws!! Getting exciting now!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,618 Posts
I believe that it is time for me to make a project report to my seniors

Gentlemen (and ladies if there are any, or any who wish to be...); based upon my previous joblist, current position is as follows:
a) Cover the wing with mylar - done
b) Cover the wing with white tissue - done
c) Curse at the patchy finish - done
d) Remove warps in wing induced by covering - done
e) Decorate to choice - done
f) Attach tail feathers (these will need to be permanently affixed, so lets hope the incidence is OK) - done
g) Find servo fittings and attach servos - Have only found one set of fittings; though luckily I had already attached the operating arm to the other servo. So I'm only two of the tiny mounting screws short. There is only one place remaining to search - the ridiculously overflowing bin which is full of the detritus of the whole build and more. If that doesn't produce the fittings, then a blob of hot glue will be the fallback position
h) Add control horns - done
i) Make up pushrods and attach - Both pushrods made up, rudder one attached, elevator one to be attached when the glue holding the tail feathers has dried
j) Attach undercarriage
k) Add battery Velcro - done
l) Balance - A preliminary balance attempt indicates that weight distribution may not have gone in my favour!
m) Add noseblock - Made and covered; may attach using magnets to assist with balancing. I thought about twenty magnets should do it....
n) Set up R/E throws - Rudder throw currently 8mm each side, elevator to be set when pushrod attached (see point i)
o) Pray
p) Test glide & adjust
q) Fly
r) Congratulate oneself, or return to Post 1 of this thread
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:14 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
Wow! The tension is killing me!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,618 Posts
D'you know what..............????

............I think it's finished.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:57 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,849 Posts
Fantastic Colonel!! God luck with the maiden.
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
That is super Colonel, top job.

Since I was one of the original "gang of several" who applied pressure to get you started on this build I feel quite proprietorial about it, almost as if I had built it myself. I think the end result more than justifies the pressure applied!

Very best of luck with the maiden flight, but do wait for the right conditions!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:57 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Nice one blink should fly fine.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,618 Posts
OK now the bad bit.....

.....my idea of weight distribution went horribly wrong

It is significantly tail heavy (hence my interest in Harry D's 2g servos); and to get it to balance anywhere near the spar, I'm having to strap 14g of lead under the nose. Fiddling about shows that if I move the Lipo forward a couple of bays it will balance, but that would require ripping the covering off and some open fuz surgery. If it flies and it seems worth it, I will probably do that. But for initial proving it will be external lead and lakky band!

The good news is that even with the lead, AUW is c160g; 20g under my upper target. With a 6x3 GWS prop, the wattmeter shows 21W @ 3A and seems to have a healthy 'pull'.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,778 Posts
So even with the ballast it is still under 6 ounces. Your 21 watts equates to 60 watts/pound - should fly fine at that. The nose weight is sensible insurance for the first flight, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you find out that you don't need all of it in the end.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:17 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
That colour scheme is just so 2012! Nice one.

I think your Ajax will be very successful at that weight and power level. My last FF version had a kp01 and flew quite well in very calm conditions.

Good luck.
Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Sep 2007
526 Posts
Lovely model, Colonel. Plenty of power and I'm sure she will be a fantastic flier, she's a K.K. model after all.
A minor surgery will be worth to get rid of the tail heaviness!
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
277 Posts
Pictures

Thanks for the pictures Colonel and good luck with that first flight, test glide over long grass, as they used to say in the old f/f days. Brian M.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Looks great. Well done.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie