HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:42 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
I had the same problem,what Gossie said worked for me, did the wing tips in 2 separate pieces with the join along the spar. I used 2 pieces but 3 pieces could also work as you have 2 top spars.
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Last edited by ColinNZ; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:23 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,522 Posts
Yes, tips are a b****r, Most of my models with tips like that have a crease or two unless I covered them separately, however, the whole model is looking pretty damn good to me. I think a blue LE would be nice. Flying time approaches!!!

Brian; is that A/2 drawing you are referring to from NAN your "Tree Pig" design, | remember a drawing of that being published? I THINK I have the old NAN's filed away somewhere, although they may well have been lost in the move to France, I certainly had them up to that point, I'll have a look round.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:13 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Good memory George, yes "Tree Pig" A/2 on the front cover of NAN some time 1963 ish. Claim to fame top in a SMAE Decentralised Open Glider comp, my only sucess, three maxes and a disapointing fly-off time when the thermals had gone to bed.
My black and white photo is "lost" somewhere in my filing system and I have not saved it into my computers memory, what little hair I have left is being tornout. Competitor wing is joined. Brian M. .
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
> Rufforth and Elvington plus "Baildon"

My old stomping grounds, too. Good days. Lost a power model from Rufforth ... and found it several miles away when driving home. What are the odds?

Do not have the magazines to search for a photo - but can provide a copy of Inchworm if such desired.
Thanks for the offer Applehoney but my f/f days are over and I have a garage full of r/c gliders. Rufforth scene of my very first flight in an AVRO Anson. Happy Days. Brian M.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:49 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,503 Posts
Only managed one session on t'Ajax over the weekend. Had a small decoration disaster which I may recount when [& if] I resolve it .

It's getting closer to the time when I really will have to have a search for the servo screws & fittings
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:59 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
The AJAX is 1939 FWIW.
Louis B. Heath design for Keil Kraft and kitted by them then.

Also the ACHILLES MK1, AJAX's baby brother.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:15 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,522 Posts
Decorative disaster eh? Can't be as bad as the time when I carefully labelled the wing of my huge 1948 Ron Mead vintage glider (132" x14" wing) with 10 inch high Solartrim letters which read "Ron Mead - 1498" Solartrim is VERY hard to get off!

He's quite right about the date of the original Ajax (the name, and that of the Achilles being chosen to celebrate the names of two of the cruisers involved in the Battle of the River Plate), but the post war version was subsequently tweaked by Albert E Hatfull and this may be your version, for which 1946 would be about right.

I like the effect of the blue LE and your lettering font is very nice. One minor tip; you might consider adding a little 1/32 or 1 mm ply reinforcement on top of the trailing edge where the rubber bands are going to sit, it is always a point susceptible to damage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
The AJAX is 1939 FWIW. Louis B. Heath design for Keil Kraft and kitted by them then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
........ the post war version was subsequently tweaked by Albert E Hatfull and this may be your version, for which 1946 would be about right.
Exactly the reason it sports that date.....

I have been quite clear in my own mind that I wanted to do an AEH version - unfortunately my attempt to cut small letters saying "Albert Hatfull's" did not go well! And the font of the "Ajax" is what is shown on the AEH plan....
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:38 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
The Achilles was "tweaked", I have both plans, so I would like to see a 1939 Ajax compared to a 1946 version please, or even a 1950 or so version.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,503 Posts
I'll admit that my date was a supposition based upon AEH's own statement that he worked for Eddie Keil for "a year or 18 months in 1945 and 1946....."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=9

The AEH plan that I have used is the very one from my first kit in the early 70s - about 25 years after the (probable) redesign! (see post 1)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,568 Posts
>Ajax (the name, and that of the Achilles being chosen to celebrate the names of two of the cruisers involved in the Battle of the River Plate),

My town of residence - Ajax - was, of course, named after the warship and we have a rather nice memorial to the Battle by the waterfront commemorating the occasion and the four ships involved. There is an 'Achilles' street (I often wished we'd found a house there as 'Achilles Street, Ajax' would have been a most desirable address) and all crew members of the British vessels have a road named after them.

Captain Langsdorf is also so recognised - a much respected officer and gentleman - and the township has held several reunions for surviving crew members of both sides.

Anther thread hijacked .. .so now back to regular programming.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Last edited by Applehoney; Sep 10, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
Another thread hijacked....
It's all good info around the subject, so not a hijack per se I'm glad that people such as you, Sundancer & gossie and the rest feel it worth posting on my 'umble fred....

The real shock is that Googling "KK Ajax" now returns this thread as the No1 result

Now the decorating disaster has been rectified - although not as classic a cock-up as George's glider from the Middle Ages, it still caused cursing and consternation in the belfry of Blink Towers! I had carefully cut out the letters for the KeilKraft logo from black Esaki. I applied the two Ks, then proceeded to add the RAFT... after which I realised that I had transposed the Ks. Damndamndamndamn....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ripped the letters off, but it has left some black traces which won't come off. Oh well - it doesn't notice too much now I have added my second set of letters, with much reference to a printed logo!!!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:37 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,522 Posts
Nice job on sorting out the "K's" Colonel, I can't see the joins! In fact no matter how hard I look at the enlarged image I can't see anything but a first class job. I think you should open a bottle of Lady Blink's better wine and treat yourself to a glass (or does she keep the key to the wine cellar about her person?), you are on the home straight now and it is only September!

This thread deserves to come out on top of Google not only for the entertainment it has provided, but as an advert for the enjoyment to be had from builds like this.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Sep 11, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
I fully agree with 'dancer Colonel, it's a great job of Ajax done by you.

They really are a great old model. I built one from a KK kit I purchased in Singapore in 1977 and flew it for years with the plastic prop. that was in the box.
It ended up a bit tatty on the Esaki orange covering, but still flew quite well on 6 strands of 1/4 rubber.

I gave it away to a young guy 3 or 4 years ago now......Perhaps he still has it????????
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,503 Posts