HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:39 PM
Registered User
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,565 Posts
>(which I find very sad),

Glad somebody else felt same way as me despite all the approbation his announcement provoked. I thought his entire speech sad, ignorant of the fact that past-succesful flyers were recognising their present limitations and were still having fun even though at a lower level of performance. To just walk away from so many decades of great achievement is hard for me to accept but then, maybe he wasn't having fun... just following a purpose. His models for sale are requested not to be flown for fun .....

Off soapbox ... sorry for the thread hijack, Colonel .. please continue ....
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Last edited by Applehoney; Sep 05, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:36 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,430 Posts
I don't know the people involved (other than seeing the names in many issues of Aeromodeller), but to me any hobby is primarily meant to be fun - maybe sometimes frustrating, sometimes disappointing etc, but mainly fun. I really cant see the point otherwise.

Any 'Hobby' competition seems to have competitors that fall into a spectrum - at one end, those who see it as an added facet to their hobby, a reason to strive to build better, a deadline to reduce the number of part builts littering the place - these people compete with a smile, help others, enjoy the day and if they come home with a placing are doubly satisfied. At the other extreme are those who compete with a vengeance. Every fibre is strained merely to beat the next competitor. Anything less than first place makes them feel like they are the first loser. If they get beaten by an (un) lucky chance, they will curse and swear. In my days of plastic modelling, I once knew a chap who modelled armour. He was good - very good indeed. However after a couple of years only achieving 3rd at the Nationals, he switched to modelling scifi. He had no interest in the subject - he just noticed that the standard was lower. First year he scooped 1st, 2nd and a couple of 'Highly Commended'. But I really thought 'what's the point?' - but then I have absolutely no competitive streak whatsoever.

I'm not saying J O'D was like that at all - just idly ruminating and hopping on a soap box of my own.

To get back to the Ajax, the wing is now mylar covered. I had to recover a couple of panels at the tips, because of severe wrinkling. There are a couple of ripples elsewhere, and although I'm disappointed I dont believe they will affect performance. There's a definite knack to this mylar - it doesnt seem to shrink as much as I remember Solarfilm doing, and I could have done with my first attempt being on a flat bottomed, more heavily constructed wing! Still, it is what it is, and it will turn out however it does. At least I can make sure any photos hide the worst bits, and its unlikely that any of you b@ggers are likely to see it in the flesh!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
its unlikely that any of you b@ggers are likely to see it in the flesh!!!
You got me there, but I've seen enough to know that what you are critical of is probably a minor thing.
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Last edited by cd_webb; Sep 05, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:22 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I don't know the people involved (other than seeing the names in many issues of Aeromodeller), but to me any hobby is primarily meant to be fun - maybe sometimes frustrating, sometimes disappointing etc, but mainly fun. I really cant see the point otherwise.

Any 'Hobby' competition seems to have competitors that fall into a spectrum - at one end, those who see it as an added facet to their hobby, a reason to strive to build better, a deadline to reduce the number of part builts littering the place - these people compete with a smile, help others, enjoy the day and if they come home with a placing are doubly satisfied. At the other extreme are those who compete with a vengeance. Every fibre is strained merely to beat the next competitor. Anything less than first place makes them feel like they are the first loser. If they get beaten by an (un) lucky chance, they will curse and swear. In my days of plastic modelling, I once knew a chap who modelled armour. He was good - very good indeed. However after a couple of years only achieving 3rd at the Nationals, he switched to modelling scifi. He had no interest in the subject - he just noticed that the standard was lower. First year he scooped 1st, 2nd and a couple of 'Highly Commended'. But I really thought 'what's the point?' - but then I have absolutely no competitive streak whatsoever.

I'm not saying J O'D was like that at all - just idly ruminating and hopping on a soap box of my own.

To get back to the Ajax, the wing is now mylar covered. I had to recover a couple of panels at the tips, because of severe wrinkling. There are a couple of ripples elsewhere, and although I'm disappointed I dont believe they will affect performance. There's a definite knack to this mylar - it doesnt seem to shrink as much as I remember Solarfilm doing, and I could have done with my first attempt being on a flat bottomed, more heavily constructed wing! Still, it is what it is, and it will turn out however it does. At least I can make sure any photos hide the worst bits, and its unlikely that any of you b@ggers are likely to see it in the flesh!!!
I do know J O'D pretty well, and as an aeromodelling competitor I guess he was unique in the level of performance, of intensity and of focus he maintained over more than six decades. He undoubtedly "enjoyed" what he did, but did he have "fun"? I doubt it, so I suppose his approach at the point when he felt he could no longer physically maintain his level of competitiveness, to stop dead and just walk away from the hobby, makes sense. But I still think it is rather sad. I always enjoyed my days of competition, especially the fifteen years of thermal soaring, and when I was competing I used to give it everything, but I hope that I never lost sight of the fact that it was a hobby and I certainly always had FUN.

Back to the main subject; don't worry about the little wrinkles Colonel, you won't even notice them once the tissue is on, I don't!!! Beneath the fun and games it is clear to me that you are quite a craftsman, but don't be so sure about no-one seeing the model in the flesh, we have relatives who we visit in the north and I might just turn up unannounced at Blink Towers one day for a personal inspection!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:53 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
If all you have is a few puckers you are way ahead of the game,I had to recover the 42" sinbad wing twice to get it right and that was with ultra cote that shrinks like crazy!
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:25 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
...don't be so sure about no-one seeing the model in the flesh, we have relatives who we visit in the north and I might just turn up unannounced at Blink Towers one day for a personal inspection!
...in which case you would find that I don't really exist - I am a mere figment of your fevered imagination, Blink Towers is but a castle in the sky, and the Ajax is purely the result of a Photoshop exercise.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
If all you have is a few puckers you are way ahead of the game,I had to recover the 42" sinbad wing twice to get it right and that was with ultra cote that shrinks like crazy!
The puckering will occur the first time I fling it into the air! Oh - you didn't mean that sort of puckering
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Sep 06, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:48 AM
Registered User
owlsabie's Avatar
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
If all you have is a few puckers you are way ahead of the game,I had to recover the 42" sinbad wing twice to get it right and that was with ultra cote that shrinks like crazy!
Then you take the plane to a fly in at high altitude/different humdity and there are new wrinkles anyway
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:09 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
...in which case you would find that I don't really exist - I am a mere figment of your fevered imagination, Blink Towers is but a castle in the sky, and the Ajax is purely the result of a Photoshop exercise.......

I doubt that my imagination could dream up some of the stuff that we have seen on this thread!!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:36 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I doubt that my imagination could dream up some of the stuff that we have seen on this thread!!
Then, George, we have educated each other......

(Though somehow I think that the knowledge you have imparted to me is infinitely more useful and relevant - and less bizarre!)

The underside of the wing is now sporting a white tissue covering.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:45 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
First toss puckers don't shrink out no matter what you try.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:22 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,430 Posts
Right, the wing upper surfaces are now covered - and yes, it does have the dreaded patchy finish. Ah well.

It's a strange art, is covering. I have always found it a most enjoyable process - when it goes well. When things start to inexplicably go wrong, it drives me up the wall. Like the wingtips - which have ended up with wrinkles which I managed to tease down to creases. I think the only way round this would have been to cover the tips in separate pieces.

Now it's fully covered, I'm now thinking decoration. Does the panel think that the wing needs a blue leading edge? I was thinking about blue, either to or halfway to the front upper spar, wrapped around and only going back about 5mm on the underside.....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Sep 07, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
Registered User
Sky Jiver's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
NAN in the 60s

Hello Colonel. I have been doing a bit of "Armchair Aeromodelling" trying to keep up with your build.I,m on page 17. I covered my 65" span Sky Jiver electric soarer 11 years ago with Mylar and tissue and it has stood the test of time. In a "search the garage" expedition I found sevel sheets of the stuff carefully wrapped in newspaper, also squirrelled away somewhere are Georges instructions on how to proceed. I need to finnish the bare build of the Competitor first.
I noted Applehoneys reference to "Northern Area News" and GES contributions, can he find a picture of my A/2 Glider about 1962-1963 ? I was front page for a millysecond then, we flew at Rufforth and Elvington plus "Baildon" of course, you will be too young to remember. Brian M.
PS. the Thumb Nail captions got lost due to finger trouble, but yes I know its a Contest Kits "Inchworm A/2" which the young lady is displaying so attractively but thats another story.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:32 PM
Registered User
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,454 Posts
[QUOTE=Colonel Blink;22669925]Right, the wing upper surfaces are now covered - and yes, it does have the dreaded patchy finish. Ah well.

It's a strange art, is covering. I have always found it a most enjoyable process - when it goes well. When things start to inexplicably go wrong, it drives me up the wall. Like the wingtips - which have ended up with wrinkles which I managed to tease down to creases. I think the only way round this would have been to cover the tips in separate pieces.

Tips do need to be covered separately.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:33 PM
Registered User
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,565 Posts
> Rufforth and Elvington plus "Baildon"

My old stomping grounds, too. Good days. Lost a power model from Rufforth ... and found it several miles away when driving home. What are the odds?

Do not have the magazines to search for a photo - but can provide a copy of Inchworm if such desired.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:57 PM
Registered User
kkphantom's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
617 Posts
Blue trim on the leading edge sounds nice, also, if the wrinkles on the tips concern you, you could gently sand them smooth and re-cover with blue. Gossie is quite right, the sudden change in tip shape makes a compound curve which is awkward to cover in one go with the main panels. Still looking great though, keep it up!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Britkit Build Off May 2012-31/12/2012 - Keil Kraft Sportster x1.8 Sundancer Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 66 Aug 17, 2013 10:45 AM
Build Log KK Gipsy for Britkit build off kkphantom Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 150 Mar 30, 2013 08:37 AM
Discussion "Britkit" Build Off April 2012 - 31/12/2012 Sundancer Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 303 Jan 01, 2013 03:47 PM
Build Log Britkit build off (Senator) Raf_Bob Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 128 Dec 11, 2012 02:35 PM
Build Log "BritKit" Build Off 2012 - Veron Phoenix RFJ Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 37 Jun 08, 2012 05:28 AM