HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined May 2009
573 Posts
Lucky you! I have no idea, though, how I'll manage without you here spreading "horse droppings" in your usual and most eloquent way. Seriously though, Hope you and Mrs. Blink have a most enjoyable trip!!
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Heyup Blinkie. You back yet? Or have you gone native and bought a bodega? It's getting very boring around here without your pearls of wisdom.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Heyup Blinkie. You back yet?
Yes...... Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Akvaryum, Aquarium, Fish Tank 1080i Full HD (28 min 7 sec)
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
What ho, me hearties!!!!

Finally got back from Southern Europe, and one looks a little like one has been serving Her Britannic Majesty at one of the further reaches of the Empire such as the jolly old Subcontinent, don't you know. At one point it was so hot, that I actually had to undo my top button and waistcoat - in public!!

Following our return, one has had to engage oneself with the normal grind of getting comfortably re-ensconced into Blink Towers and arranging to have Lady Blink's 'souvenirs' released from the Bond warehouse. Feeling a mite 'post holiday' at the moment - and Lady Blink has it worse, evidently dealing with her withdrawal symptoms of the high life of Espanol, plus she is missing her regular flamenco lessons. These were with a swarthy cove in trousers far too indecently tight for a proper gentleman to be seen in private, let alone public. Still, she seemed to be doing well in her flamenco dancing and was giving it her all and often returning looking quite flushed and out of breath with the exertions demanded by her dancing teacher (or 'gigolo' to use the Spanish term).

I have managed to do a little more to the Ajax since returning - the tailplane is now completely covered, and although not completely to my satisfaction, is likely to stay as is. Still having issues with the patchiness of the white tissue when dry. The fuz is next, so we'll see if the blue also shows this problem. Also managed to get the worst of the warps from the fin and tailplane using the covering iron - felt that steam wouln't give me anything over dry heat, as the mylar would render the structure effectively waterproof.....

Hopefully once the fuz is done, I will be back in the groove enough to tackle the wings in white tissue. At the moment I have a bit of a feeling that I am covering up a structure that I am quite pleased with, in covering that I feel isn't quite up to scratch - but not bad enough to rip it all off and start again.

I hope to get it finished soon - but there are various interruptions over the next month. One's eldest sibling (and young Pippa Blinkette's favourite aunt) - the Duchess of Ellenbrook (kkphantom may know the Estate) is visiting from the Antipodes with her husband the Duke, having made a Cook's tour taking in Budapest, Prague & Viennese society on the way. One really must do one's best to have afternoon tea and a soiree with them at the very least, and hopefully they can find time to stop in the West Wing of Blink Towers for a day or two..........
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Aug 28, 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:15 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Glad to see you back Colonel, you need to watch these swarthy southern European types, you'll probably find out that he was over-charging for the flamenco lessons....

Can't really understand the patchyness problems with the tissue; admittedly I have never used white tissue with varnish, but I have used red, yellow, green, orange and blue (see Bantam, Zephyr and Tom Tit build threads) and none of them was patchy - although it is a more translucent finish than you get with dope.

However, as long as what is underneath is sound and you get all the warps out it shouldn't affect the flying.

I hope your antipodean visitors don't disrupt the schedule too much, we are all getting quite eager now to see it finished - and flown.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Here are the tail feathers, dry assembled and with surfaces yet to be hinged......
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:45 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
I see what you mean about the patchiness Colonel - but I don't think it detracts from a really excellent job in the least. On re-examination I think this is just a characteristic of the varnish finish which becomes more apparent when using white tissue. The same tissue looks quite different when finished with dope. Look at the two photos below. The one of the Zephyr wing which is finished with varnish exhibits the same patchiness as your tailplane, this is most apparent on the lighter colour, yellow, but it is still really the same on the green, just not so obvious. Now look at the Mamba tailplane which uses the same tissue but this time with a dope finish. Nevertheless, the Zephyr still looks perfectly fine as a finished item, and I am sure your Ajax will too.

I think we will just have to accept that this is the way the tissue reacts to the varnish finish, and accept it as the price for not asphyxiating the family with dope fumes! Since I don't have that problem, and also actually quite like the smell of dope, I'll continue to use dope whenever I can, but willingly use varnish if I ever have to again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:58 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
On re-examination I think this is just a characteristic of the varnish finish which becomes more apparent when using white tissue.....
I also wonder whether the effect would be less if I was using gloss instead of satin varnish - the patches seem to be shinier than the more opaque sections - it could be due to differing dilutions caused by the water in the tissue, meaning that the 'sheen' is inconsistent.

I'm just loathe to spend 'another' 8 on some gloss varnish to find out!!!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Could be; as I have only ever used gloss varnish I can't be sure. I just think the problem is inherent in the use of varnish on tissue - if you hold a sheet of tissue up to the light you can see the variations in the structure, and I think these areas just take up the varnish in different ways - why this doesn't happen with dope I can't say, maybe something to do with the speed of drying??

At the end of the day though it still looks OK and gives an efficient finish, pity that the effect is most marked on white tissue.

As I said before I think, the secret is to arrange to use gallons of the stuff on acres of hardwood floors, then you can use the surplus!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:51 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Colonel,
I'm fairly certain that you would have given the can of satin a good stirring

George, have you tried 'Matte' finish? Maybe the even light reflections would be better, although I don't think it looks bad at all tbh.

just my mouth flopping, (well fingers actually) not necessarily backed by any serious brain activity ...

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
No Sparks, I never used any of the matte finish on our floors therefore never had any left over to try!! You may be right, but overall I am quite happy with the way the three models I have used this on, the Tom Tit, Bantam and Zephyr, look. On the subject of cost, yes the varnish is expensive, having gone through the best part of twenty litres on the floors at a cost of close to 1000 euros I know that as well as anyone. However, the 1 litre of dope and 1 litre of thinners I got from shop4glue cost close to 40 quid - a far cry from the good old days when I used to go to H. Marcel Guest (HMG) in Manchester and collect a gallon of shrinking dope, which was so thick it needed three gallons of thinners to make it brushable, for a tenner!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,550 Posts
Indeed, stirring has taken place, sparks.....

A bit more progress today - some decoration added to fin & tailplane, and three sides of the fuz have had the mylar covering applied.

And as Raf_Bob mentioned, a razor blade is imperative for trimming mylar or damp tissue - anything else is hopeless!! I'm starting to overcome my terror of using a razor blade; which probably means I'll lacerate myself in the not too distant future.....
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
And as Raf_Bob mentioned, a razor blade is imperative for trimming mylar or damp tissue - anything else is hopeless!! I'm starting to overcome my terror of using a razor blade; which probably means I'll lacerate myself in the not too distant future.....
A NEW 10A or 11A scalpal blade works just as well Colonel with less chance of blood-letting. I have several scalpal handles and I change the blades in all of them when I reach the mylar stage, they last well enough then to cover the model before they lose their fine edge, but are still perfectly OK for balsa butchery on the next model, then get changed when THAT is ready for covering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
>1 litre of dope and 1 litre of thinners I got from shop4glue cost close to 40 quid - a far cry from the good old days when I used to go to H. Marcel Guest (HMG) in Manchester and collect a gallon of shrinking dope, which was so thick it needed three gallons of thinners to make it brushable, for a tenner!

40 quid for a couple of litres? Sheesh .... Do you have airports within reasonable driving distance that are home base for smaller aircraft? There's generally a factor there that stocks all sorts of spare parts, etc. for them and they're a good source for nitrate and thinners at far better prices than obtainable from the model supply trade. I bought a gallon each of nitrate and thinner for little more than equivalent of your purchase.
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Nice idea Jim, but sadly it doesn't work like that in France (or in the UK either I suspect). We have three small plane fields within 40 kms, but no facilities such as you describe at any of them.

The last dope I bought before this current lot was a 250 ml tin I picked up from a model shop last time we were in the UK, and THAT cost almost 10 - so I am quite pleased with the current stuff considering it included about 8 for delivery to our UK friends who then brought it with them when they drove over.
RCG Plus Member