Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:39 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Nice to know I'm not the only one around here with ham fists and wandering tools! Very entertaining build log Colonel, can't wait to see her finished, (but don't rush it!).

Gary
kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:48 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Every shop has either a worm hole or something that moves tools and parts through space and time to some place else.Or things just move through time some how wich explains why the third thime you look for the knife its where you looked 3 times before.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:32 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
....things just move through time somehow which explains why the third thime you look for the knife its where you looked 3 times before.
That's me all over......

One of the ways that I augment my stolen time in the loft is to make use of work lunchtimes - and today I have made up my servo extension. I took heed of George's advice and siamesed the positive and negative wires, keeping just the signal wires seperate. At this size it won't have saved much in the way of weight (one 8 inch length of 28AWG wire), but I found the notion elegant and I want to prove to myself it works!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jul 29, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined May 2007
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
That's me all over......

One of the ways that I augment my stolen time in the loft is to make use of work lunchtimes - and today I have made up my servo extension. I took heed of George's advice and siamesed the positive and negative wires, keeping just the signal wires seperate. At this size it won't have saved much in the way of weight (one 8 inch length of 28AWG wire), but I found the notion elegant and I want to prove to myself it works!!!
Modelling at lunchtime! That seems a great idea, not sure they would let me get away with that in the software house in the city where I work.

I'm just lurking here admiring your work Colonel. Have made a few foamies and a westwing beguine some time ago, but would love to have a go at one of the more vintage balsa efforts soon.

Am really just commenting as I noticed your heatshrink wrapped crocodile clips on your soldering stand. Great idea that I shall promptly steal. The simplest solutions and all that. Thanks a lot.

Oh and I just gently use a lighter to shrink my heatshrink. Handy if you're a terrible smoker like myself.
wijwoj is online now Find More Posts by wijwoj
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:21 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
"Stealing" small amounts of otherwise unproductive time for building is a great way to make surprising progress with a project. Being retired these days I don't have to resort to this, but in my last ten years at work I decided to build at lunchtime in an organised way instead of eating, better for the waistline and the model fleet! I was lucky in having plenty of space available and also having reached the status of elder statesman (i.e. knew where too many bodies were buried and too expensive to make redundant!), so I got quite well organised, keeping my materials in a spare filing cabinet. The way I worked it was to do the airframe building at work and transport the. bits home for finishing and kitting out. In this way, during those ten years I produced a lot of, mainly vintage, airframes at work - I can't remember them all, but they included a Pushy Cat, 5/8th Pushy Cat (Pushy Kitten), 40% Junior 60 for KP01 F/F, Tom Thumb ditto, Pete Holland Miranda flying boat, several scaled down control line stunt models for 0.5 diesels, a Swannee low winger, Southern Dragon, Elite No 1 and ATO 30 gliders. A very productive period, supplemented by the fact that, being an early riser (not any more!!!) I usually got an hour in the workshop before breakfast!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Great use of your pc table during lunch!
I usually use the cooler part of the soldering iron to shrink the heat shrink. Needs a bit of care but works just fine.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wijwoj View Post
I'm just lurking here admiring your work Colonel. Have made a few foamies and a westwing beguine some time ago, but would love to have a go at one of the more vintage balsa efforts soon....Am really just commenting as I noticed your heatshrink wrapped crocodile clips on your soldering stand. Great idea that I shall promptly steal. The simplest solutions and all that. Thanks a lot.
I'm glad that my jottings are worthy of your time, and thank you for posting your comments WW! The heatshrink on the croc clips was a necessity, because the clip's springs are so powerful that the teeth were cutting the silicone* wire sheathing to the metal. As I wasn't going to buy a more expensive 'helping hands' this was my solution!

I've been lurking in the Vintage forum for years. I have always enjoyed building (I even enjoy putting together Ikea furniture!) but never could find the time - models would be started and never achieve more than 20% completion - but also I was concerned about learning to fly RC with something that had so much time and effort invested in it. I pretty much felt it was going to be something for my retirement in 15-20years time. But then I discovered foam. Marvellous for learning and for crashing. My EasyStar fuselage has been in three parts, but only ever took an hour to fix. I now have an EasyStar 2 which will be upgraded to 4 channel in few weeks time. I'm still a fairly rubbish pilot, but I can get them in the air, round the sky a bit and back on the ground after a fashion. I am confident enough to commit the Ajax to Bernoulli's Principal when the time comes!!

With the encouragement and advice of the chaps on here, all of which have far more experience than I (some are internationally recognised experts) this has been a most enjoyable experience. Find a plan, buy some balsa, and get hacking. It's far more therapeutic than I could ever have imagined......

*Silicone = elastomer; silicon = sand. /pedantry off
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Phew Blinkie, bit of an epic!
The epic continues........

Hooked up the extension last night, and did another balance check. With the Lipo in its forward most position, the balance was neutral. Bum. There are still the servo linkages, the Rx aerial and a greater area of covering to be added behind the CG, with only the nose block and less covering to be added in front. I had an inkling that this was going to be the case when I found that the extension weighed 8g; with quite a significant moment arm behind the CG.

But am I disheartened? Too bloody right! - no,I'm not really. I can move the Rx forward to share the ESC platform - it'll be a squeeze but it will actually be more sensible (if I don't break anything more whilst doing it!).

I believe that this 'challenge' of getting the balance about right are mainly (if not purely) attributable to my own inexperience with what I am trying to achieve here. I'm sure that George would have gone 'that there, that there, need to plonk that between about there and there given the length of the tail' and he would have been right, plus or minus a few mill.

Still, you learn by your mistakes, and those who never made a mistake never made anything!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:54 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
Don't you believe it Blinkie! I had to add FAR too much plumbum to the front of the Tomboy and there is a bit (which is still too much) in one or two of the others too. Sometimes with these vintage conversions, especially the smaller ones, you just run out of options, although generally the rubber powered conversions are better in this respect as they tend to have longer noses. I wouldn't worry TOO much, I have a feeling that the Ajax will probably tolerate a CG somewhat aft of the one you are currently aiming for OK due to that big lifting tail. And in the last analysis, if it does need 10 grams or so up front, well, it will still fly OK. The main thing is you are enjoying yourself!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:17 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,426 Posts
One other thought Colonel; I noticed earlier that you were having trouble with the ESC/lipo connection wires not being long enough meaning that you would be fishing about trying to connect in the fuselage - not very convenient. Just to say don't dismiss the idea of making your connections external, I did this on the Spartan as it was the only way I could get the big 3S 2200 lipo far enough forward, and have never regretted it. OK, it's a bit odd that in this, one of my bigger models, I couldn't work out a neat solution to do it all internally when I have managed it on all the smaller ones, but it is a very short nose and a big battery. So four bits of wire and the connector are out in the breeze, no big deal, you don't notice them in flight. And you can pop the lipo in in the workshop, fasten everything up and make the connection when ready to fly - and disconnect easily on landing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:33 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
If you can,t move the lipo any further forward to keep the c of G in check, you might be able to pull a little bit back by bending the u/c a little further forr'd. I have done this a few times before when I'm trying to avoid adding lumps o the church roof
sparks
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
*Silicone = elastomer; silicon = sand. /pedantry off
More pedantry: actually, sand is silica
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
I think that the origins are all Silicon / Silica anyway
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
One other thought Colonel; I noticed earlier that you were having trouble with the ESC/lipo connection wires not being long enough meaning that you would be fishing about trying to connect in the fuselage - not very convenient. Just to say don't dismiss the idea of making your connections external,
Good idea - but the 'latest' ESC position is fine for the Lipo connection.....but I'll keep that one in the 'tool box'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *jj View Post
More pedantry: actually, sand is silica
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
I think that the origins are all Silicon / Silica anyway
Not sure whether being corrected is akin to being outpedanted... either way I'm fine with it!!

Wikipedia says
"Silicon ( /ˈsɪlɨkən/ sil-ə-kən or /ˈsɪlɨkɒn/ sil-ə-kon) is a chemical element with the symbol Si and atomic number 14. Not to be confused with the silicon-containing synthetic polymer silicone...." which I think says it all
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,474 Posts
Meanwhile, up in t'loft......

I now feel that forward motion has resumed....

Peeled the Rx from the front bulkhead - although I mentioned earlier that hot glue stuck like the proverbial, the good thing about it is that by the application of firm and constant pressure, it peels off things pretty cleanly. Fitting it to the ESC 'platform' necessitated moving that item to one side, so off that had to come also. In fact, at this point, the only item which hadn't changed its position was the electrodonkey out the front, so I fleetingly toyed with idea of making it a pusher so it wouldn't feel left out

The Corona (synthesised) Rx had to be fitted on its edge, which would also make it so that the LED and setting button could be reached if I left a small window in the fuz side. So its an ill wind... Set the failsafe on the Rx so that loss of signal would move throttle to zero and servos to neutral. So it should then simply revert to free flight....!!

Connected the battery to test the system, and to set the Rx frequency. Wonders never cease - not only had I connected the servos to the correct channels, but the prop turned in the correct direction!! Now we're really cooking with gas.

Because I'm only running a 6A ESC and I am bound to throw a 7" prop on at some time, I decided that a bit of direct cooling wouldn't do any harm. Hacked a hole just under the nose which will run airflow directly over the ESC. The Lipo hatch had a couple of combined cooling air exit & finger holes added. Added the magnets and by Jove, does it make a satisfyingly solid 'click' when you shut it! Threaded the Rx antenna via a rather roundabout route down the fuz so that only about 8" hangs out the back. There does seem to be quite a lot of wiring - it's probably an illusion created by the minimal structure compared to more modern or even vintage power models. I think that I will use Raf_Bob's black tissue cockpit windows on this one.

Girded my loins and taped it all together for another balancing session; with only the covering, hinges, 2" servo linkages and horns, and nose block missing it at last balanced just a bit nose down. Phew.............. If it's out at the finish, it should only take a minimal amount of weight to get it sorted.

This evening I drilled, hacked, and sanded the inside of the nose block so that it fitted over the motor and tack glued it on. It's currently a Work In Progress.
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jul 29, 2012 at 04:52 PM.