HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Who's hating who? I see no "hate" here. Well except of your use of a buzz word designed to stir the masses, even when nothing is there. This is just a forum.

The other points I would've made in response to some posts, we're already made by others, like a particular price that means its ok. That makes no sense to me.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:49 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
China has no patent laws so that would make the sale of that item in China completely legal. Everywhere else it is illegal, because it is stolen technology. If you were to try to sell that here or probably even e-bay you could get hit with at least patent violation. You are dealing with hardware, hardware is patented not copyright. The software itself is copyrighted and licensed. I suppose the software running on the device that handles the licensing is copyrighted.

When you purchase your sim from Phoenix you don't purchase the software itself, you never own software even if you possess a physical disk, you own a license to use the software. In this case that license resides on the dongle.

I'd suggest getting a free one if you must have one, as I agree with it being theft. If you've indeed downloaded a pirate copy, you should buy the software and support the developers, and then you will be entitled to all the benefits that go with it.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:57 PM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
China has no patent laws so that would make the sale of that item in China completely legal. Everywhere else it is illegal, because it is stolen technology. If you were to try to sell that here or probably even e-bay you could get hit with at least patent violation. You are dealing with hardware, hardware is patented not copyright. The software itself is copyrighted and licensed. I suppose the software running on the device that handles the licensing is copyrighted.

When you purchase your sim from Phoenix you don't purchase the software itself, you never own software even if you possess a physical disk, you own a license to use the software. In this case that license resides on the dongle.

I'd suggest getting a free one if you must have one, as I agree with it being theft. If you've indeed downloaded a pirate copy, you should buy the software and support the developers, and then you will be entitled to all the benefits that go with it.
Words from you must be wise . I've decided I'm going to get it from Phoenix themselves. What I don't think people understand is that I was browsing the website when I see a bargain which I think can't be for real and query it here, the next thing I know I'm being told I'm stealing Im al against stealing but when somewhere like hobby king are selling it you feel it must be legit. Obviously I'm wrong. Doesn't matter anyway I've contacted Phoenix to let them know about the hobby king dongle via their support centre and have ordered it from Phoenix. All's good
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Doesn't matter anyway I've contacted Phoenix to let them know about the hobby king dongle via their support centre and have ordered it from Phoenix. All's good
Good to hear!
Be so kind and remove the url in your first post?

Cheers!
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I already reported the first post. I hate to see it advertised here. Not the first time and won't be the last. Mods used to remove that link fairly quickly.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
I already reported the first post. I hate to see it advertised here. Not the first time and won't be the last. Mods used to remove that link fairly quickly.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
You reported me !!
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Yeah, but don't take it personally.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Yeah, but don't take it personally.
But why ? I asked if a product came with the software from HK this sites sponsor.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
23 Posts
Now I totally see what you guys are getting at with all this stealing talk, but did he ask for your opinion on whether or not it would be morally wrong to buy the product?

To answer the OP, no this dongle will not come with the software. This dongle is to be used in collaboration with say a cheapo usb TX and a pirated version of Phoenix, the dongle will trick the program into thinking you've got a proper TX and dongle setup that comes with the actual product, thus allowing cheap aftermarket TX's to be used, such as a dynam 6ch usb TX.
GrandpappyToke is offline Find More Posts by GrandpappyToke
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
It used to be that discussion of piracy like this was not allowed. Sad, sad thread.

Why did I report it? Simply because of the link you posted. I don't like (some would say "hate") seeing that link posted here, making it easier or more appealing to steal sofware.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpappyToke View Post
Now I totally see what you guys are getting at with all this stealing talk, but did he ask for your opinion on whether or not it would be morally wrong to buy the product?

To answer the OP, no this dongle will not come with the software. This dongle is to be used in collaboration with say a cheapo usb TX and a pirated version of Phoenix, the dongle will trick the program into thinking you've got a proper TX and dongle setup that comes with the actual product, thus allowing cheap aftermarket TX's to be used, such as a dynam 6ch usb TX.
Some say the do get software with this dongle.......
And PhoenixRC is sold without TX, the protection is inside the dongle......so sadly these cheap dongles allow you to use all TX out there. Why you think they even add a bunch of cables??

@ RC Trainer plane
Do edit the first post and remove the url.
I too reported your post. Nothing personal, just dislike the url used......
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Aug 2010
36 Posts
The good thing about having the software licence built into the dongle rather than the software is you can use your dongle on many PC's. If people insist on pirating the hard work of software developers, companies like phoenix will be forced into more rigourous anti-pirate protection, forcing the one PC / one licence rule. No more flipping from one PC to your TV or Laptop.!
ModelGuard.com is offline Find More Posts by ModelGuard.com
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
Joined Mar 2001
352 Posts
The sad part of this is that when sales of the pirated dongles get too common Phoenix will likely stop development as it will no longer be profitable. Then those who came to Phoenix through the back door will have to steal something else.
lenrev is offline Find More Posts by lenrev
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Nice to see your views. I'm merely asking if comes with the package because it's not stated clearly.

So before you start giving me all your stealing stuff listen to what i have to say. It's being sold by Hobby King a well reknowned and i feel trustworthy place to buy.I'm pretty sure Hobby King wouldn't take the risk of stealing software and hence being liable to being sued. If hobby King sells it and i want it i'll buy it. If the price were say £100 nobody would claim it were stealing. Do you see my point? I'm more than willing to listen to what you have to say but things like accusing people of stealing when they're asking a question i feel is a bit much. So if you could keep this thread on topic i.e answering the question im posing to you then i'd be more than grateful to hear what you have to say if not then find another thread. Simple.
Renowned and trustworthy? Are you kidding me? Better surf the site a little more and check out the counterfeit chargers and Spektrum receivers. They even sell a "genuine" and "counterfeit" I-Max charger, worded exactly that way on their site! Not trustworthy in my book.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:19 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
Well is it illegal (morally/legally) to use the dongle in question as an adaptor for a tx which doesnt use the spektrum trainer port?
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey