HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:41 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Phoenix Simulator Dongle ?

hello guys i was browsing hobby king's website and i noticed that they were selling this product http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14304. I was wondering if this product came with the full Phoenix simulator?

Thanks if so i'm going to buy one
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Isn'tt it a shame that companies sell products to help you steal software?
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Isn'tt it a shame that companies sell products to help you steal software?
jeffpn, I have to agree with you completely here. There seems to be quite a proliferation of similar thread and postings in threads regarding this illegal software and techniques to cheat hard working people out of their money. I'm sure the software engineers that created and continue to refine this fine product worked and continue to work hard on giving their customers value for their hard earned dollar. I am myself a software engineer and Architect and even though I don't write software for direct sale to the public, it is still how I make my living.

When you use such products you are doing much more than merely stealing software, you are taking away a potion of someone's income. Imagine going o work on payday and having the boss tell you that someone stole half the payroll money so you would only be paid half of your check this week!

The people at Phoenix software even give you free (yes FREE) updates to their software after you PURCHASE it to the latest version and as I understand it have been doing so since the beginning. I can't think of many software companies that do so.

It would seem to me that there should be some way to invoke copyright infringement on such companies that sell these products and make it too expensive for it to be worth their while to sell them however as I understand it there are no copyright laws in China.

Fortunately for the rest of us, there are enough HONEST folks that PAY for what they get to keep Phoenix in business otherwise we would still be working with Phoenix 1.0

Just my two cents.
jcmors is online now Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmors View Post
jeffpn, I have to agree with you completely here. There seems to be quite a proliferation of similar thread and postings in threads regarding this illegal software and techniques to cheat hard working people out of their money. I'm sure the software engineers that created and continue to refine this fine product worked and continue to work hard on giving their customers value for their hard earned dollar. I am myself a software engineer and Architect and even though I don't write software for direct sale to the public, it is still how I make my living.

When you use such products you are doing much more than merely stealing software, you are taking away a potion of someone's income. Imagine going o work on payday and having the boss tell you that someone stole half the payroll money so you would only be paid half of your check this week!

The people at Phoenix software even give you free (yes FREE) updates to their software after you PURCHASE it to the latest version and as I understand it have been doing so since the beginning. I can't think of many software companies that do so.

It would seem to me that there should be some way to invoke copyright infringement on such companies that sell these products and make it too expensive for it to be worth their while to sell them however as I understand it there are no copyright laws in China.

Fortunately for the rest of us, there are enough HONEST folks that PAY for what they get to keep Phoenix in business otherwise we would still be working with Phoenix 1.0

Just my two cents.
Nice to see your views. I'm merely asking if comes with the package because it's not stated clearly.

So before you start giving me all your stealing stuff listen to what i have to say. It's being sold by Hobby King a well reknowned and i feel trustworthy place to buy.I'm pretty sure Hobby King wouldn't take the risk of stealing software and hence being liable to being sued. If hobby King sells it and i want it i'll buy it. If the price were say £100 nobody would claim it were stealing. Do you see my point? I'm more than willing to listen to what you have to say but things like accusing people of stealing when they're asking a question i feel is a bit much. So if you could keep this thread on topic i.e answering the question im posing to you then i'd be more than grateful to hear what you have to say if not then find another thread. Simple.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
381 Posts
FWIW Hobby King is riding the edge of legality. They are not selling stolen software (if indeed the software is not included in the package and for this reason I would assume it probably isn't). What they are selling is a means for you, and others to USE illegal copies of the software. It SHOULD be illegal, if it were a US based company it WOULD be illegal and the company would be hit with a law suit.

And yes, even if HobbyKing were charging 100 dollars for it and it wasn't as a legitimate dealer for Phoenix, it would still be stealing.

If I steal your car and it was worth 1000 dollars, would it make you feel better if I sold it for 900 instead of 90 dollars? Would you somehow feel less ripped off?

Sigh...
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Just browse the HK site a bit more and your question is answered.....

This is not legit! Check the Phoenix site and see the price differences, even a replacement dongle is not this cheap.....the dongle is the license.

So do the right thing and buy it from a legit retailer.

Cheers.
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
FWIW Hobby King is riding the edge of legality. They are not selling stolen software (if indeed the software is not included in the package and for this reason I would assume it probably isn't). What they are selling is a means for you, and others to USE illegal copies of the software. It SHOULD be illegal, if it were a US based company it WOULD be illegal and the company would be hit with a law suit.

And yes, even if HobbyKing were charging 100 dollars for it and it wasn't as a legitimate dealer for Phoenix, it would still be stealing.
Just check the comments from users who bought it........software included.....they even sell an all in one version.

Really surprised people even wonder if this is legit.........sigh indeed
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
381 Posts
Actually I did go and look at the comments... some seem to say included and others seem to have not gotten it. Looks to me as though the more recent reviews say it came without software...
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Actually I did go and look at the comments... some seem to say included and others seem to have not gotten it. Looks to me as though the more recent reviews say it came without software...

Yeah but still illegal
If a site sells the all in one dongle.....they wrong
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
i don't know why you guys are taking this to heart . Don't worry i will buy it from Phoenix so you guys can quit with the stealing stuff. I respect what you guys are saying and as i said in my first post was just browsing the Hobby King website when i came across it and asked everybody if it came with the software. If i went to Hobby king and saw a package for Phoenix for $100 i'd buy and think it's legit. But because it's being sold for $8 makes me question if the software it comes with the package. I at that point am unsure so i turn to the wonderful people of RC Groups who turn around and call me a THIEF, look down at me and make it seem as if i've killed somebody.

To use an example I go into Ferrari and want to but an Enzo. Ferrari are selling it for $1,000,000 and my freind's cousin is selling a brand new one same as the official one for $100,000. i buy a lot of things from my freinds cousin and they all work well but because this one is so cheap i question it. I then go to my Ferrari Froum and pose a question if it's the real deal. And i get the response i do here.

I'm all for keeping buisnesses alive in fact i ran a fund raising event for my LHS and bought extortionately highly priced things just to keep them afloat. I then go to a WELL RESPECTED ONLINE STORE and BROWSE and see a bargain deal querie it and get looked down upon.

And i thought RC Groups was a hate free place .
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
Yeah but still illegal
If a site sells the all in one dongle.....they wrong
I agree 100%. It looks to me as though HobbyKing wised up, perhaps their legal department told them to stop sending out the illegal copies of the software itself.

Things like this make me think about not dealing with Hobby King at all. They have some fantastic legitimate deals on helis and parts but seeing they sell the means to use illegal software copies makes me think I should be taking all of my rc business elsewhere.

Jim
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
I agree 100%. It looks to me as though HobbyKing wised up, perhaps their legal department told them to stop sending out the illegal copies of the software itself.

Things like this make me think about not dealing with Hobby King at all. They have some fantastic legitimate deals on helis and parts but seeing they sell the means to use illegal software copies makes me think I should be taking all of my rc business elsewhere.

Jim
Who says it's illegal , may be they're making a huge loss and doing a deed by selling it to you for dirt cheap. I know it's most likely untrue but i was always taught never acuse unless you have proof. It's a shame others don't abide by that.

Sigh.....
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
i don't know why you guys are taking this to heart . Don't worry i will buy it from Phoenix so you guys can quit with the stealing stuff. I respect what you guys are saying and as i said in my first post was just browsing the Hobby King website when i came across it and asked everybody if it came with the software. If i went to Hobby king and saw a package for Phoenix for $100 i'd buy and think it's legit. But because it's being sold for $8 makes me question if the software it comes with the package. I at that point am unsure so i turn to the wonderful people of RC Groups who turn around and call me a THIEF, look down at me and make it seem as if i've killed somebody. ...
RCT, I apologize if you took my response to jeffpn (yes my original response was to him) as calling YOU a thief. That was NOT my intention. If it has been brought to light to you and others that may read this thread that this is not legitimate then that is great. If I came on too strong and made you feel that was directed at you, then I apologize to you for not being clear, but I will not apologize for being appalled that a seemingly legitimate retailer, even if they are in Hong Kong/China and beyond the reach of copyright laws would knowingly sell something like this. YOU may not have known any better but Hobby King certainly does!

I meant no ill will or hatred directed at you.

Jim
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Thanks, i'm going to get it from Phoenix themselves anyway. I looked on HK's website and they don't seem to send the CD anymore. No need to apologize especially when your views are right.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Who says it's illegal , may be they're making a huge loss and doing a deed by selling it to you for dirt cheap. I know it's most likely untrue but i was always taught never acuse unless you have proof. It's a shame others don't abide by that.

Sigh.....
Proof? They sell the all-in-one dongle, yes?
There's your proof.

Otherwise mail Phoenix support :-)