HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by michaelghammer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:36 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
558 Posts
Discussion
The 5 th. manual axis and box

Hi All

The nature of the CNC Foam Cutter design dictates a raised work area. So I made a plywood box with the help of my CNC Router. The box contains the stepper driver board (cheap TB6560 type from Ebay), stepper motors powersupply (second hand from old thermo label printer) and hot wire power supply (home made). All wires exit two rather large holes and can be tucked back in when not in use. Holes also act as carrying handles.

When cutting foam fuselages you most likely need sections of different length. So you end up cutting foam blocks to the correct length, rotating, aligning and then cutting shape. A lot of time is "wasted" rotating and aligning. Not a big deal if your fuselage consists of 4 segments, but if you´re making a complex scale fuse you might have 20 segments or more...

So I made a removable 90 degree rotating top for the box. Built in plastic rollers (plastic beads from my daughters stash) reduce the friction of the top. A grid pattern of holes and matching pins help align the foam block. Works like a charm

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is online now Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Last edited by michaelghammer; Jun 08, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts