HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:27 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Discussion
Tweety Birdy/Dirty Birdy 20 Build Restarted

I finally restarted the Tweety Birdy project that I began back in January, but stopped after framing up the fuse and wing/stab/tail to finish an e-Super Pacer build. Have a bunch of flights on the SP now and really enjoy flying it.

Tonight, I started the e-retracts install and will provide photos as I proceed. Below is a photo of the airframe when I stopped.

Just because I am very happy with the Super Pacer (which is also a vintage patternship), I have posted a photo of it for those of you that missed the ones I posted in another thread.

My Tweety Birdy project is a melding of the design with the Dirty Birdy 20 with the main difference in that the DB 20 has a built up air foiled stab which turned out quite a bit lighter then the solid stab. The other difference is the wing of one of them is a little more narrow, but longer. I am using the shorter/wider version. The TB fuse was a little simpler to build, so I built it.

I do plan on installing the rudder/stab servos conventionally inside the fuse, as I want a cleaner look for this plane, but will install the two aileron servos embedded in the bottom of the wing instead of using a torque tube. I also think I will build wing fillets....a vintage pattern ship certainly deserves them.

I really debated with myself on whether to stay with nitro or convert to electric, and after the experience I have gained building and flying the e-SP, I am glad I went the electric route. Don't plan selling all my nitro engines, though, as I still like working and flying them. I presently fly a Sportster 20 with a K& B .28 and an OS .40 powered Fiesta 45 quite regularly.

Could not find a photo of the completed Super Pacer by itself. The foamy is a Regal Bipe, and usually take it out with the SP. A real fun contrast in flying going from the fast SP to the slow flying bipe.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
ONEHANDRC
United States, WI, Genoa City
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
My Tweety - RIP

Tail dragger with retracts, electric power. Lost it to a radio failure. Can't find another one
gallfer is online now Find More Posts by gallfer
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Sorry you lost your real nice looking Tweety Bird.

Why don't you just build another one from scratch? It really isn't that much harder then the kit. All you have to do is select the correct sized balsa, spend a night or two cutting out the parts to make a kit. The ribs will take the most time, but really, once you get started, it goes pretty quickly. I like the 3 bladed prop.

Anyway, If I see a kit on eBay or somewhere else, I will alert you.

The e-retracts are installed and just need some finishing up and then I will work on the wing tips, center sheeting, cap strips, aileron bays etc.

SpadCat
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:48 PM
ONEHANDRC
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
I actually had 8 kits made up from the plans. Was a bit pricey but kept one kit and sold the rest for about $80 each, still lost a bit of $. Building up the Kaos 40 now to keep some balsa dust in my veins
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallfer View Post
I actually had 8 kits made up from the plans. Was a bit pricey but kept one kit and sold the rest for about $80 each, still lost a bit of $. Building up the Kaos 40 now to keep some balsa dust in my veins
Well, I guess you need no advice from me about scratch building! Sorry to be so presumptive! .

Coincidentally, I will be building a Kaos sometimes in the future, probably .25 sized like the Tweety Bird and Super Pacer.

I understand the high cost of balsa, and fortunately for me, a major manufacturer of balsa planes here in town went out of business a number of years ago, and I was able to pick up a bunch of balsa for pennies on the dollar.

SpadCat
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Tweety Birdy Project Restarted-Again!

After a few months of delays, I restarted the e-Tweety Birdy project again a couple of weeks ago and am almost done with painting. Just need some yellow on the fuse and I am hoping to find cartoon Tweety Bird artwork to use that would finish the plane off. The tail wheel is built into the sub-fin similar to the Super Pacer.

All I have to do is install electronics, control surfaces and position and glue the canopy. Then glue tail surfaces and do a little filling. The motor and retracts are in and I might have it ready to fly by next weekend. Attached below are a couple of photos.

SpadCat
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:37 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
715 Posts
SpadCat,

Nice work. The tweety bird looks very nice.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:48 PM
ONEHANDRC
Joined Dec 2007
626 Posts
Outstanding color scheme SC!

Building a Kaos 40 now, ain't much larger than my dear departed TB.

Gino
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:33 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,834 Posts
SC,

Good job, particularly on the front end. Did you use a kit glass cowl or did you build it up? I'd be interested in seeing your equipment and radio layout.

A couple of weeks ago I drew up the ply templates for a reproduction glass cowl. While not as smooth as a uniform joined front end, my idea was that the cowl would be magnetically removable and supported by a 1/8" lite ply ring at the junction. This would make access and installation of the motor very easy.

For original trike LG setups, an option for exposing the ESC to wind flow would be to mount it in the fuse top just aft of the wing LE former. Using a DB like canopy, the ESC would be concealed but air could still be allowed to pass over it. For conventional LG, the unit can go under the tank area unless it's being used for swapping batteries.

There are my grandiose ideas...

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
With old man winter coming, I hope to get back on mine. Most of my framing is done, just need to assemble.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker View Post
With old man winter coming, I hope to get back on mine. Most of my framing is done, just need to assemble.

John
It's just the opposite here in the desert....build all summer in a cool shop and fly all winter!

SpadCat
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
SC,

Good job, particularly on the front end. Did you use a kit glass cowl or did you build it up? I'd be interested in seeing your equipment and radio layout.

A couple of weeks ago I drew up the ply templates for a reproduction glass cowl. While not as smooth as a uniform joined front end, my idea was that the cowl would be magnetically removable and supported by a 1/8" lite ply ring at the junction. This would make access and installation of the motor very easy.

For original trike LG setups, an option for exposing the ESC to wind flow would be to mount it in the fuse top just aft of the wing LE former. Using a DB like canopy, the ESC would be concealed but air could still be allowed to pass over it. For conventional LG, the unit can go under the tank area unless it's being used for swapping batteries.

There are my grandiose ideas...

David
Thanks David,

I know about those grandiose ideas....I have plenty myself, but few are implemented when I find out what kind of effort it takes.

The cowl is built up just like the fuse. I start with cutting out the lite ply nose ring to match the spinner and clear the motor and shape into the internal corner balsa triangle strips to match the fuse. One can build it right along with the fuse, or after the fuse is formed and then attached using a mounting system or just glue it on.

Since it is rare that I need to pull the cowl off for service of an electric motor unless there was an accident, I found it easy enough to cut the cowl off with a Dremel just in front of the motor mount bulkhead, then glue it back on and refinish. Of course, if this were a contest model where servicing needs to be done quickly, I would use a detachable cowl.

I don't have the capability to build a fiberglass cowl, but I might buy one from someone such as yourself for some projects. In fact, I picked up a framed up Sig Liberty Sport project recently that is missing the stock fiberglass cowl, and I might purchase one from a company that makes it. Although, at one time I built a Bud Nosen 1/4 scale Champ, and one of the most enjoyable parts was building up the cowl...of course, this was a kit with the more difficult parts cut out and notched, etc.

In regards to the ESC, since I live in a hot climate, I have found going up to a larger rated one usually solves the heat problems. Of course, if there are weight or other issues, that may not be an option. Your canopy idea is a good one, and since I do not have the TB's glued on yet, I may use that area for the ESC. For my Polaris 120, I used a Radio Shack finned heat sink that sticks out in the airstream and actually looks cool on this plane. Of course, a float plane has to be sealed, so internal airflow is a problem.

Lon
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Ready to Fly!

AUW is 53 oz which is close to what the e-SuperPacer weighed in. Balance is right on the money. Tested power with a 10x6 cut down to 8.5 x 6 giving me over 400watts with a static pull test at 46.6 oz. Curiously, on the Super Pacer, the same power train with the same prop pulls at 50 oz. Maybe because the Tweety Birdy Lightning .25 motor is brand new and needs a little break in? Do electric motors have a break in period.? Can't be much because there are only a couple of bearings (I am assuming they are ball, not bushings, but I could be wrong.

From you Tweety Birdy pilots out there, what would you recommend for elevator throw? Not worried about aileron.

I really am pleasantly surprised how good she looks as a tail dragger. I am a fan of that set up except when it comes to vintage pattern ships. I did purchase a nose e-retract, but decided not to use it, mainly due to the battery needing that location. Anyway, she sits really nicely on the ground and still has that Dirty Birdy "attitude" that I always have loved about that plane.

Hopefully will get to maiden her tomorrow, depending on winds.

SpadCat
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Maiden Flight!

Yesterday, took Tweety Birdy to the field and after preflight, taxied to the runway and added power and she tracked straight and true on the ground and into the air. After lift off and a little bit of trimming, flew her around admiring that Dirty Birdy shape. A little too much elevator as she would snap at the top, and rolls were a little slow. Nothing a little adjustment won't cure. I always leave retractable gear down on a first flight. Did some slow flight careful with the elevator. Then did several approaches and then a very nice landing. Flight time was 7 minutes.

Hopefully I will be able to take her out tomorrow again and find out what she can do (actually, what I can do, as this plane has more capability than I have ) She is going to be a lot of fun to fly and she looks great in the air. Takes me right back to the seventies.

SpadCat
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Smooooth Airplane

Forgot how smooth and precise an airplane can fly. Had 4 flights this morning, and each flight got better and better. The increase in aileron and decrease in elevator throws really did the trick.

If anybody wants a real vintage pattern ship that can fly in smaller fields, then the Tweety Bird is perfect. It has been a long time since I have flown a .60 size pattern ship, and this one feels just like I remember them. Smooth as silk and precise fast flying....wow...just love it! Makes me want to build its bigger brother Dirty Birdy .60 kit that I have had for years, then hunt for some vintage pattern events.

The only thing I miss is the scream of a tuned pipe nitro engine....the silence of electric power is really eerie.

Also feels great when other pilots come over and are amazed that it is scratch built. Except for a couple flat wing foamies, all the other ships out there this morning were ARFs. Don't have a thing against them, built (put together) a number of them myself.

SpadCat