HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:13 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
The name for the wire between the units could be a Calvin&Hobbes style name, "monsterously uber data connection conductor"... so that when people ask the answer is "it's just a servo extension"...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,681 Posts
I was thinking of something more complex, like "link cable".
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
"what do you mean no "in a world"?..."....

Comedian Movie Trailer (1 min 32 sec)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:17 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The other planned features are still valid though. You could use the channel expander with a Spektrum satellite receiver, or a Futaba S-Bus receiver.
How are channel mapping and fail safe settings entered?
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,681 Posts
Same way as before - wirelessly. Although it would be possible to change the SCU's settings with a USB interface cable (USB<>RS232) since that is how the RFU communications with the SCU.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:24 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Same way as before - wirelessly. Although it would be possible to change the SCU's settings with a USB interface cable (USB<>RS232) since that is how the RFU communications with the SCU.
I was thinking when using PPM from Rx or Spektrum satellite, but I guess it's not relevant then?
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:27 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,681 Posts
The signal output selection is done as part of the binding. Right now, you can choose either normal servo outputs or PPM output. I will be adding several other modes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:34 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,950 Posts
I understand the advantage of physically separating the RF, but I'm still not clear on how the channel expansion works or what advantage it offers. Let's say I have a 9-ch Aurora and I am using a Nano (with updated firmware to connect to the expander) and I buy a 6-ch expander for $25. Do I not still have only 6 actionable channels since the RF link still goes through a 6-ch RX? Let's assume a true 9ch build: Thro, 2 Aile, 2Flap, 1 retract, split elevator (2), Rudd.

Why would I not just buy another Nano for $30 to get my extra channels, or buy a $59 9-ch RX with telemetry instead?

Also, how do you plan to set up existing Nanos so they can function in either role? Do you just rewrite the firmware so that the data stream is outputted through, say, the B channel?
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:25 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,681 Posts
There won't be a 6 channel expander. The prototype I just finished and submitted for prototype boards is 10 channels. That would be the very minimum. The expander can function as follows:

Servo control for XPS Nano & DivBee RF units, Spektrum satellite receiver, and Futaba S-Bus receivers.
PPM to PWM converter.
UART to PWM converter
PWM to PPM converter.
UART to PPM converter.

Our RF units ALWAYS output the number of channels that the transmitter has. So, in the case of an Aurora 9, you would get 9 channels to the expander. Of course you can change the channel mapping of the channels on the expander, reverse the servo direction, and change the offset (match). You can also specify the failsafe type of each channel. Basically, the same features as our receivers. There is a low voltage warning too. You can use multiple channel expanders by using a simple Y-cable.

The Nano used as a RF unit will have just 3 servo pins at one end (right angle facing inwards). It won't be a standard receiver that you can use. There is no enough code space in the current Nano to handle multiple roles. The next generation of Nanos will have enough code space for that as well as supporting JR's DMSS.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:21 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,950 Posts
Ok, so this setup (Nano RF unit and 10-ch board) is in fact your next "Rx"? I use quotes not for disparagement but to denote that it is not a new rx for the purpose of FCC certification. Did I get that right?

If so, how quickly could these be available and do you still plan to produce the 9ch Rx with built in telemetry and pack voltage. Thanks
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:07 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,681 Posts
We won't need to worry about FCC ever again. The DivBee module and Nano will handle every possible scenario that I can come up with.

I am going as fast as possible with the development and testing. I plan to have samples at the AMA show next week. But, there is no release date. I am not sure if there will be a 9 channel stand alone receiver. The more I mention the split system to our customers, the more people want that system. You still get telemetry and such, with sensors plugged into the servo control portion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:10 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
I understand the advantage of physically separating the RF, but I'm still not clear on how the channel expansion works or what advantage it offers. Let's say I have a 9-ch Aurora and I am using a Nano (with updated firmware to connect to the expander) and I buy a 6-ch expander for $25. Do I not still have only 6 actionable channels since the RF link still goes through a 6-ch RX? Let's assume a true 9ch build: Thro, 2 Aile, 2Flap, 1 retract, split elevator (2), Rudd.

Why would I not just buy another Nano for $30 to get my extra channels, or buy a $59 9-ch RX with telemetry instead?

Also, how do you plan to set up existing Nanos so they can function in either role? Do you just rewrite the firmware so that the data stream is outputted through, say, the B channel?
..but to keep in mind that the Nano can already handle and process channels 1-16... just that the output is only restricted by the pin count. the channel expander essentially getting more pins to allow the Nano to output to its potential: two channel expanders on a Y lead out of the Nano and you can output all 16 channels from one Nano.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:11 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,145 Posts
Quote:
The more I mention the split system to our customers, the more people want that system.
...your customers must be a higher form of mammal.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:50 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,950 Posts
OK. Maybe I'm not understanding, but I was hoping for an Rx that automatically gives you Rx pack voltage on the radio's display as the Optima / A9 does, without using up another channel. Perhaps this feature can be adressed with the Divbee Nano / RF V2?

In any case, I like this modular idea and I am happy to hear the FCC would not be involved. These AMA expo samples...would they be take-home-to-test samples?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:55 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
..but to keep in mind that the Nano can already handle and process channels 1-16... just that the output is only restricted by the pin count. the channel expander essentially getting more pins to allow the Nano to output to its potential: two channel expanders on a Y lead out of the Nano and you can output all 16 channels from one Nano.
Right - had forgotten that part
Closed Thread