SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:03 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
The receiver can have an ignition module glued to it and it won't care. The ignition module can affect the servos though... so, if you have an ignition kill plugged into the receiver, the receiver bus could be noisy because of it and pass that noise to the servos. If the servos don't have filtering, then they could have issues. Most digital servos don't have any issues... it's the older analog servos that could present a problem.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:20 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Jim, what would you recommend for a simple, inexpensive telemetry setup with the expander - lets say all I want is flight pack voltage and RX voltage.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
Fly inverted, it's more fun.
Joined Apr 2006
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Jim, what would you recommend for a simple, inexpensive telemetry setup with the expander - lets say all I want is flight pack voltage and RX voltage.
Good question, I would also like to have that with my A9 Hitec.
tholmes345 is offline Find More Posts by tholmes345
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:49 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
The Rx voltage is standard with the expander, but the flight pack voltage requires a sensor for that. I plan to switch the telemetry data stream to be the same as JR's DMSS... since it is basically our system anyways. This would open up the sensor availability for our customers, and also open a market for producing less expensive sensor options for JR customers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:10 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
So I will see Rx voltage on my A9 with the expander + RF?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:51 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The Rx voltage is standard with the expander, but the flight pack voltage requires a sensor for that. I plan to switch the telemetry data stream to be the same as JR's DMSS... since it is basically our system anyways. This would open up the sensor availability for our customers, and also open a market for producing less expensive sensor options for JR customers.
JR do not have any Vario sensor, as Eagletree has. What about your ealier statement about i2c konverterer and Eagletree sensors....
Doffen24 is offline Find More Posts by Doffen24
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:42 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,416 Posts
Don't rush things. It's only four years since it was announced

Anyway, does the expander have any relation to telemetry? Does it have sensor ports and send data to the RF part?

Edit: Never mind. Found out that it does.
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:27 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
So I will see Rx voltage on my A9 with the expander + RF?
You can see the Rx voltage right now with our module and 8 or 10 channel receivers! This will be no different with the expanders.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:28 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doffen24 View Post
JR do not have any Vario sensor, as Eagletree has. What about your ealier statement about i2c konverterer and Eagletree sensors....
JR does have a Vario... but it's $89 MSRP - a reason to make one.

I heard that Eagletree is making a Eagletree->JR converter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:29 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen View Post
Don't rush things. It's only four years since it was announced
Yes, and people have been using telemetry for 4 years too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Quote:
You can see the Rx voltage right now with our module and 8 or 10 channel receivers! This will be no different with the expanders.
Great! I've used only Nanos since I switched over from the Hitec stuff, so I didn't know this capability already existed on your other RXs.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined May 2002
246 Posts
if a servo shorts out connected to the expander, lets say signal to ground, will it set the receiver into binding mode, will it effect the other servos or receiver in any short config?

The most important part of telemetry to me is knowing the lowest cell voltage in my powered glider when the cell goes down to a user set limit. (a voice saying "battery cell at 3.7 volts",would be ideal). What combinations of receiver to expander would allow this and what selected outputs (XPS,PWM,PPM,or other)
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:33 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,416 Posts
Quote:
Yes, and people have been using telemetry for 4 years too.
Maybe, but not with Eagletree sensors, which was the topic.
In addition to JR and Eagletree, you should maybe consider the FrSky range of sensors. They even have 6S cell voltage sensors that can be chained for monitoring up to 12S.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:45 AM
Fly inverted, it's more fun.
Joined Apr 2006
246 Posts
Quote:
How does that work? Is it a direct communication that shows up on the A9 screen?

Thanks

Tom
tholmes345 is offline Find More Posts by tholmes345
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grich View Post
if a servo shorts out connected to the expander, lets say signal to ground, will it set the receiver into binding mode, will it effect the other servos or receiver in any short config?

The most important part of telemetry to me is knowing the lowest cell voltage in my powered glider when the cell goes down to a user set limit. (a voice saying "battery cell at 3.7 volts",would be ideal). What combinations of receiver to expander would allow this and what selected outputs (XPS,PWM,PPM,or other)
If the signal wire shorts to ground, the only affect would be that the shorted servo would no longer work. We have a separate "B" (bind) port just for this reason on the Nano receivers. The expander has a physical push button that is required to be pressed in order to enter binding and programming modes.

I am not aware of any telemetry sensors that show independent cell voltages - and you are the first to request this. It's certainly possible.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread