HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:49 AM
Advanced n00b
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Mar 2012
214 Posts
Rant
Why you should not buy a DJI product second hand.

It is now my mission (one of many) in life to make sure that anyone buying a second had DJI product know that the company does not stand behind it's product and will do it's best not to help you out. I can not speak for those that bought directly from an "authorized" DJI dealer but I can give you my experience as a second hand owner of now 2 DJI products and what I have experienced from this company.

I bought a DJI WKM rig second hand from another RCG member, here is the deal thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623805 and I knew going into it that there was some sort of issue with the GPS and that I may have to replace it. The fact is that the GPS has never worked since I received it.

Now, I have been trying to purchase a GPS antenna for a replacement from DJI. Initially I emailed a couple of "authorized" vendors and had no response. ( BTW: I have emails to back up this entire thread ). I then emailed DJI directly and have no response. So I posted in the classifieds that I was looking for this item and had a response from a fellow RCG member that seems to have some sort of close ties with DJI (shall remain nameless for now). I was told that I should contact the vendor that it was originally purchased from.

That vendor replied to my request and I was told that the replacement cost would be $700. $700 for a GPS antenna that does the exact same thing as the NAZA GPS that they are preselling for $169. I posted my disgust regarding this fact in my classified thread and that I would rather just go on using it as an FC that is even less than a NAZA. A Naza w/ GPS costs ~$400

So at this point I have now contacted 3 authorized DJI dealers, none of which could give me a price or even details. The only reseller that did give me a price is not an "authorized" dealer and his price is $700. DJI is not responding to my requests, I have emailed their sales and "fiona" along with someone else that communicates with fiona on a regular basis. All I have is an email saying that I should "have knowledge when buying from others in a forum". How does that help me get a replacement GPS?

Do I want a free GPS replacement? Heck yes, doesn't everyone? Do I expect it to be free? The answer is no, I do not expect it to be free and if it is $700 to replace it I feel sorry for all the users that have a $1100 WKM because my $400 Naza w/ GPS can now do the same thing (supposedly) as my and your $1100 WKM.

Because they are ignoring me and calling me foolish for dealing with other RCG forum users it is now my mission (one of many) to make sure I deter other users from buying second hand DJI items. Thanks DJI!
iscgdave is offline Find More Posts by iscgdave
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:55 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,920 Posts
I was quoted $800 for a GPS replacement. So what you were quoted is not out of line with my experience. You have a couple of options, go after the seller or pay the price. You can write off the loss and purchase a Naza plus GPS. It is your choice.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:01 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Why don't you (yourself or the seller) send the gps module to the distributor or DJI directly and ask for a replacement?
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Feb 2009
565 Posts
At digitech they are 200 euro.
rwijnhov is offline Find More Posts by rwijnhov
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:17 AM
Australia, New South Wales, St Leonards
Joined Aug 2009
368 Posts
not just you, even the local Chinese customer complaint about high cost of replacement GPS antenna, that why I never mount it on the pole.
All of our SH user will be getting our GPS unit replaced, maybe there are few second-hand GPS available very soon, just wait for few weeks
piccoloflyer is offline Find More Posts by piccoloflyer
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:24 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Well this totally sucks. How can the Naza GPS be $160 but the WKM GPS be $800 or $700

WTH?

WKM users are getting the major shaft.

What happens if in a crash the GPS is damaged.....

$800

Damn I should sell my WKM now (mine is second hand as well)
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:27 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
HoverFly had an issue with sourcing their GPS antenna after people broke them when crashing and so they rewrote the firmware to use the normal antenna that all the OSDs use that you can get for under $100 at diy-drones or many other places

Put a FREAKING plastic case around it and you get a $700 MARKUP!!!!

Holy Hell...... That is actually ridiculous.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced n00b
Joined Mar 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Well this totally sucks. How can the Naza GPS be $160 but the WKM GPS be $800 or $700

WTH?

WKM users are getting the major shaft.

What happens if in a crash the GPS is damaged.....

$800

Damn I should sell my WKM now (mine is second hand as well)
Pretty much my point exactly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced n00b
Joined Mar 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I was quoted $800 for a GPS replacement. So what you were quoted is not out of line with my experience. You have a couple of options, go after the seller or pay the price. You can write off the loss and purchase a Naza plus GPS. It is your choice.
I choose option 3, kill the resale value on the wkm

Obviously I do not expect / want to do that but I don't like to have my options limited.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by iscgdave; Jun 08, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:46 AM
Prog Rocker
Down South
Joined Jul 2009
336 Posts
I wouldn't buy a DJI product firsthand.
Camelboy is offline Find More Posts by Camelboy
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:29 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
wow!

crash your rig..break the GPS antenna and you have to fork out $700 to $800 to get a replacement?

cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
so bad!!!!
GOOD luck man.
SunnyHK is offline Find More Posts by SunnyHK
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2009
565 Posts
again at digitech they are 200 euro 280 dollar.
rwijnhov is offline Find More Posts by rwijnhov
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:39 AM
Total newbie
Joined May 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
again at digitech they are 200 euro 280 dollar.
Link?
ToniCH is offline Find More Posts by ToniCH
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:48 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
Contacting DJI my self to see if I can get the price. I just can't believe $700 is the price for a replacement GPS Antenna since that is getting close to what I think the dealers buy an entire WKM system for, it has to be wrong. $200 - $280 sounds more in line with that it should be. If it is in the $700-800 realm then damn thats insane specially seeing timecop's teardown of the parts in the GPS Antenna do not equal anything close to that price.

Talk to Robert at UAVProducts, if he doesn't get back to you soon call'em since I know he has had email problems in the past. He is a good guy and always glad to help when he can. There might be a communication issue where they (DJI) think you want to buy an entire WKM replacement or something, I hope?
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dolby; Jun 08, 2012 at 12:02 PM.