HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:07 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
954 Posts
Discussion
Taking pics from a quad, how do you acquire?

Howdy all aerial photographers. Well I must say after gas planes, helis and a host of other flying contraptions I really like what the quad has done for AP. I have been going up LOS 100 or so feet, not much more, and taking pictures with my pentax and an IR trigger. I usually just canvas by having it shoot every second. I have a FPV setup with a CCD cam that transmits the video feed. But thats not from the camera that takes pictures. I was toying with the idea of having a video switch so once I got up I could engage loiter and switch to my pentax. I am starting to feel like one of those circus acts where the guy is playing the drums, flute, guitar and other instruments all at the same time. I was wondering what others do who shoot AP with a multirotor to get their images.
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
I just guess !

Taking oblique shots of the scenery is not that difficult after a while.
I have my cameras auto triggered, via a servo, every 7 seconds.

Recently I have needed to do vertical shots of a smallish area. These are more difficult but still doable by guessing the quads actual position. It gets better with practice.

The benefit of the quad is its stability. Just hover and gently rotate the quad to get several shots at different angles. Taking 1 shot every second is going to generate a lot of images I find one every 7 seconds is plenty.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:27 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,230 Posts
I take photographs using a video link and an LCD screen which sits on the ground. Most the time I'm looking up at the vehicle making sure it's in a stable hover, and then once every few seconds I'll look down to the screen to make sure the image is composed correctly. If it is I'll flick a switch on my transmitter that causes the camera to take three shots in quick succession (ensuring I get at least some shots which are sharp).

This system works well for me, and I haven't changed it much in the 6 or so years I've been doing AP I've also got a backpack which sends the video up to a single eyepiece (meaning I just have to glance away from the vehicle slightly to see the video feed), but for convenience I tend to stick with the screen on the ground, as the screen is in the lid of the flight case where the vehicle is stored

It sounds like you've got much the same setup, you just need to feed the output of the Pentax into the video transmitter ... what model of Pentax do you have? Does it have an analogue video output?

Hope this helps

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:27 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
954 Posts
Thanks guys, yep your info definitely helps. Also makes me feel better taking shots the way I do. Its really interesting to hear how others do it. I'v got a Pentax A30, some noise but generally pretty good. Full manual control over everything. I do like the idea of getting a ball park video image of what you are about to shoot. I think that sounds good to the customer if you are doing it for that happy extra buck, but I know no one cares about that (Bob Ross quote). Maybe just use the live a/v (the pentax has that) and use that, forget the ccd fpv cam.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:07 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
I just aim the multi rotor. I use an intervalometer to fire off an image every 3 seconds. The camera is taking pictures from take off to landing. I get about 150 pictures per 6 minute flight. I just aim the multi rotor and adjust the distance to the subject for the desire shot. After a while it becomes second nature. I can pretty much tell you what the image is like while I am flying.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:55 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
I just aim the multi rotor. I use an intervalometer to fire off an image every 3 seconds. The camera is taking pictures from take off to landing. I get about 150 pictures per 6 minute flight. I just aim the multi rotor and adjust the distance to the subject for the desire shot. After a while it becomes second nature. I can pretty much tell you what the image is like while I am flying.
+1, but i also fly my rig in FPV and aim it and track what i want to shoot...

not that i have a big portfolio or anything
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:57 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
954 Posts
Adidas, do you fly FPV from a separate cam? Then shoot with another cam pointed at like an angle pointed down? I think shooting ever second or 7 or what every is going to be one of the best ways. Its hard to fly and shoot at the same time!!
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:47 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Yeah I use a pixim seawolf 690 CCD camera mounted on the frame.

I know some of the guys fly off a CCD on their gimbal, but they don't use the gimbal for roll just tilt.

And they are way better pilots than me.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Last edited by 2MacGyver; Feb 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
954 Posts
Thanks fellow VT'er, 2MacGyver. Yea I really need to get my FPV gear going. LOS is difficult because the aircraft is symmetrical, after a hundred feet I am completely disoriented. I almost wonder if its because Im dyslexic, those sorts of things really confuse one with that. I know what you mean about lining the shot up, with my plane I go really good lining stuff up. The other thing is since Vermont is filled with trees you need to get up over the tree line, FPV would be great for that as long as you didn't get to far way. There are a bunch of nice town greens I want to shoot that way.