HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:12 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Dusty no longer...

My shop has been a mess for way too long, I finally really cleaned it up.

Spent the better part of 2 weeks off and on cleaning out old junk, sweeping up and painting the floor with epoxy. Floor turned out great, easy to sweep and really dressed up the shed.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:09 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post

Spent the better part of 2 weeks off and on cleaning out old junk, sweeping up and painting the floor with epoxy. Floor turned out great, easy to sweep and really dressed up the shed.
SaWWEEEEEEETT! Gotta feel good about the size of that space.
yarsmythejr is offline Find More Posts by yarsmythejr
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:16 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,687 Posts
We are building a new house to be completed in January. It'll have a 3-car garage with a 10' extension. I'm walling off the back 10' x 30' area for my 'new' hobby shop. I'll post photos of the progress after they pour the slab next month.

For now, I'm stuck in the corner of the garage (one bay). Here's a current BEFORE photo before I upgrade. My son, Ryan, is working hard on something...makes me smile.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:17 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPockets View Post

That secretary is a beauty. The chair looks familiar. What kind of epoxy finish did you use for the floor?
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:32 AM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
I don't recall where I got the idea for the chair. Stronger than you might think but hard on your backside.

Floor finish is Rustolium 2 part epoxy. Pretty easy to find.
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:17 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
The chair is Reitveld's "Z" chair (RIETVELD Gerrit, 1888-1964 (Netherlands)). He did a few hard-on-the-bottom chairs. It can be made more comfortable (but not a lot) by sloping the seat down at the back a little more than usual. It always scared me off with the tenuous structure.

Thanks on the Epoxy ref!
Last edited by Ron Williams; Sep 06, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Jan 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoVent View Post
You asked for it ......
Good Shop work men!
kleberrios is offline Find More Posts by kleberrios
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:25 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Workshop proud

We built this about 8 years ago and I've posted it here on other theads. The building itself is fairly advanced being built out of OSB/EPS panels. The walls are 6" thick and the roof twice as thick.

It's heated during the winter by the 1600 watts of fluorescent lights which are on 24/7. The windows to the South and West are larger than the windows to the colder side of the building and have black venetian blinds in the lower parts of the openings; they absorb winter solar heat which helps warm the building.

The floor is double insulated (under and above the concrete slab) and the doors are insulated. The large doors have a smaller "man door" in one of them so they don't have to be opened in really cold weather or when there's a lot of snow on the ground.

The terrace on the South side is brick which absorbs heat and makes it a favorite hangout for the local cats in cold weather. The canopy is translucent fiberglass which allows sun light in to the south windows. The temperature is usually around 60 - 65 F during the winter which is great when doing physical work but chilly when the work's not so physical. In the summer opening two doors cools the place off in seconds and the upper level windows are arranged to help cooling, too.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
Cadflyer
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
My shop

I built this 16x16 shop several years ago and it was deemed too small 1 week after i moved in. It is cluttered with my collectibles and my airplane building area.

cva69 is offline Find More Posts by cva69
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
635 Posts
I have room, good lighting, tables to work on, heat and I spend alot of time out there. It's called the dog house.
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:39 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
I have room, good lighting, tables to work on, heat and I spend alot of time out there. It's called the dog house.
Nice big space there. Congrats!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
98 Posts
Occasionally I will find great "free" items on Craigslist. One was a very heavy wood desk, in near new condition. The owner just wanted it gone. Other items were free wood cabinets, a scroll and sander table, and working shop lights.
Jake
Sonsight is online now Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:15 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,780 Posts
I wouldn't know how to function, in some of the clean, fancy, shops that are posted here.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,265 Posts
My shop is 36x28. About every three weeks I have to do a tool clean up or I loose them and buy more. Got a build bench, and engine bench, and electronics bench. Then theres the storage and charging bench. All wood is stored under the central build bench with the B-25 on it. Then there is the small barn out back with all the carcasses up in the loft. It IS a life time accumulation.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:20 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
My shop is 36x28. About every three weeks I have to do a tool clean up or I loose them and buy more. Got a build bench, and engine bench, and electronics bench. Then theres the storage and charging bench. All wood is stored under the central build bench with the B-25 on it. Then there is the small barn out back with all the carcasses up in the loft. It IS a life time accumulation.
Edwin
Now THAT'S a hobby shop!!! You should be proud of that bad boy. I can see myself working in there for hours.