Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:25 AM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Discussion
Y6 Design & Build

Hi All.

As I'm close to finalising my first Y6 design, I'm at a loss how to calculate the best length of arms and what should be considered while making this decision.

I'll be using SunnySky 2216-12 800kv motors with ACP 10x3.8 slow fly top props and APC 11x5.5 electric bottom props.
I guess its trial and error with working out the optimal length of arms but if anyone has a rule of thumb or a calc of some sort, please share!

I'll keep a build log and will update this thread with as much info as I can so others can benefit.

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, UT, Cottonwood Heights
Joined Mar 2012
185 Posts
I know with quads and hexa's it's 1 blade width between blade tips. So if your biggest blade on a quad is 12 inches, you'd want a minimum of 24 inches center of motor to center of motor. On a Y6 I guess the rule of thumb would be wide enough to not cut off your landing gear.
tstrike is offline Find More Posts by tstrike
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:34 AM
Norge, Vestfold, Tønsberg
Joined Apr 2010
86 Posts
In general, short arms are best for acro, and long arms are best for AP/FPV/Smooth flying. When that is said you can adjust parameters that will change flying characteristics in the FC (depending on type of course) so the general rule is for gyro only systems like the KK.

I would think like this:
Long enough to get unobstructed view from camera, if you plan on flying FPV/AP
Short enough to avoid flexing, and extra weight
Long enough to accept the propeller size you need to carry the craft
As short as possible to handle the wind conditions you fly in

My 3200 grams Y6 is 740mm between the motors, and I am very happy. Takes 12 inch propellers without problem.
JanHenning is online now Find More Posts by JanHenning
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:07 AM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike View Post
I know with quads and hexa's it's 1 blade width between blade tips. So if your biggest blade on a quad is 12 inches, you'd want a minimum of 24 inches center of motor to center of motor. On a Y6 I guess the rule of thumb would be wide enough to not cut off your landing gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHenning View Post
In general, short arms are best for acro, and long arms are best for AP/FPV/Smooth flying. When that is said you can adjust parameters that will change flying characteristics in the FC (depending on type of course) so the general rule is for gyro only systems like the KK.

I would think like this:
Long enough to get unobstructed view from camera, if you plan on flying FPV/AP
Short enough to avoid flexing, and extra weight
Long enough to accept the propeller size you need to carry the craft
As short as possible to handle the wind conditions you fly in

My 3200 grams Y6 is 740mm between the motors, and I am very happy. Takes 12 inch propellers without problem.
Thanks guys, all makes sense!

This will be an AP rig so I'll go with longer arms. Jan I'll start with around your Y6 arm length as the prop sizes are similar.

Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Proto near ready to go, just a tad worried about frame weight.

Frame comes in at just under 1kg with 6x 2216 SunnySky 800kv motors strapped to the arms, will be putting another 500g on with esc's, controller and lipo.

Bit to heavy?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, AZ, Snowflake
Joined Dec 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylite View Post
Proto near ready to go, just a tad worried about frame weight.

Frame comes in at just under 1kg with 6x 2216 SunnySky 800kv motors strapped to the arms, will be putting another 500g on with esc's, controller and lipo.

Bit to heavy?

Depends on how much more weight your landing gear, AP camera, gimbal, servos, etc are going to add. Are you going to run 3S or 4S on the battery? With those 6 motors you should be able to get over 5500g thrust. with right props and battery - even with 20% co-ax loss.
kgreylgrey is offline Find More Posts by kgreylgrey
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
I Like Popcorn
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreylgrey View Post
Depends on how much more weight your landing gear, AP camera, gimbal, servos, etc are going to add. Are you going to run 3S or 4S on the battery? With those 6 motors you should be able to get over 5500g thrust. with right props and battery - even with 20% co-ax loss.
There will be another 500g max on the airframe all in.
I'll be using 4s and 11/5 props on top and 12/6 on the bottom or there about's.
Hoping to be able to put a 1.5/2kg payload on and still be able to hover.