SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:08 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,055 Posts
Mo, you'll do just fine
Just remember to get a FB when you go for maiden, give him the stick's while you video the event ! (like what I normally do, he-he). If you look at my build, the nose section is a bit longer, helps with battery installation and give's a bit of flexibility to use different lipo sizes. There's very little down-thrust built in, and with control surfaces at zero incidence it flies quite well. I know you will be back to tell us how well it goes. Are you covering with packing-tape to beef it up a bit ? No matter, they are easy to build and doubtless I would make some mod's if I was building another (like bigger front fuse to get bigger batteries in). Don't forget to post some pictures of your finished model
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:18 PM
Corsir Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
How long did it take to get your motor shipped?
I am worried it won't be here soon enough to get the rest of the build done.
Headsuprc is in Florida and usually ships same or next day.
Could you look at their site and recommend a motor, esc and prop from them. I would really appreciate it.
http://www.headsuprc.com
Mopower71 is offline Find More Posts by Mopower71
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:25 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
1,055 Posts
Mo,
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
This is the motor I started with, moved up to a bit more power once I had the hang of it. A 7x4 prop and 18-20A ESC is okay with this.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-19%29/Detail
This motor could be a bit juicy with a 6x3 prop. Save all the fussing, just get a 25-30A ESC and when you 'mod-up' you will only have to change the motor & prop
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:56 AM
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Funbat

Mo, I have built 5 Funbats and they are a blast. I am running the same motor you are using. I had a battery drop out of mine so I made a hatch which is working wonderfully.
kc2pxp is offline Find More Posts by kc2pxp
Last edited by kc2pxp; Jul 19, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Funbat folded wing KF Airfoil

I saw someone that asked how to fold the main wing and I wanted to give my suggestion. I have built 5 of these Funbats and I have learned a little with each build. At first I was using a razor blade to tediously cut a trench along the lenght of the wing and using packing tape on the opposite side. This was inconsistent. I still use packing tape along the fold crease (leading edge of wing) but on the inside, I used my soldering gun to burn a trench along the fold line. I find that this does not "remove" material but melts it, making is a little stronger. I then use a carbon fiber spar or bamboo. I use hot glue to adhere the wing once its folded over. This works great and makes for a strong leading edge on the wing.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
1,055 Posts
Kc2.. Interesting concept using a magnet to keep hatch open
On my build, battery hatch is on top, room enough because the nose on mine is closer to 120mm (5") from LE. Still, I 'spose inverted flight could present me the same potential problem ! BTW, nice colours
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
RW Data, Thanks for the response. Why did you extend the nose? Was it to get a better CG with your motor? Was it to improve flight? Just curious. I am new to scratch builds and always looking to learn something new.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
1,055 Posts
kc2.. My funbat wasn't exactly to plan, but during pre-cut I was looking at what battery I would want to send up. Having a number of 3s 850 - 1300mah I rather fancied the option to run any of them depending on weather conditions. Also based on a FB's build where he noted that a bit more nose-weight could improve flight. So with the power setup I intended, it seemed logical to extend the nose a bit, fit a battery hatch on top and have a good range of battery options. Sorry to go on, but in answer, I suppose to get better (or more variable)CG and hence improve flight characteristics. I posted pic's of my build on p13 if it helps. It's interesting how a build can be done so many ways
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Where can I find your pics? What can I search for to find p13. this discussion only goes to p3.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:55 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
1,055 Posts
Post no13 on 1st page
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Very nice job. I like the colored packing tape. I also like how you put the elevator servo inside the fuse. the extended nose looks great. I may have to use that on my next build. Thank you.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2pxp View Post
Very nice job. I like the colored packing tape. I also like how you put the elevator servo inside the fuse. the extended nose looks great. I may have to use that on my next build. Thank you.
That's what it's all about A FB once flew his 'dart' in adverse conditions and broke a wing off, half-hour later he had a new wing made of correx with a different shape and dihedral. Flew great too !
No plans, just a stanley-knife, 2mm correx & some hot-glue. It was a bit (okay a lot) heavier, but was such a buzz to just knock something up with 'TLAR' theory.
You are sure to be pleased with flights off the funbat, I fly mine in windy conditions when almost everything else is grounded, what a joy
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Rw how many of these have you built?
I still have not ordered a motor/esc from a closer place. I hope it doesn't take two to three weeks to get here. I won't be ready for the combat if that happens. My local hobby store only has two motors an neither are even close to what I need. You would figure with all the plane parts they would have a few more choices of motors. And the local RC hobby store we use to have closed about two years ago.
Mopower71 is offline Find More Posts by Mopower71
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
1,055 Posts
Mo, it's not great here for model parts either ! Our LHS doesn't really do component parts (esc's, servo's & motors) just ARF kits and some airframe only. I get most supplies on-line, some of which I have to order from US, so you should be in a better position with a few on-line options. Funbat - just the one at present, but might be about to expand the squadron with a 16" wingspan version. Trouble is when I order bits, I feel the need to take more kit than I need to make best use of the postage scale ! The other-half hasn't figured yet that I sometimes have to order two servo's but to make up the weight I get a motor & two batteries as well Talking 'combat', well a FB and I were going for it with our funbats a few weeks back and couldn't get close ! I even stayed slow, flat & straight while my FB tried to cut my paper streamer off the back, nope... it wasn't happening. 2 weeks later and I drive my simple delta up to the back of his flying wing, announce I'm coming in like a refuelling manoevre and I scored a hit. He carried on flying, mine without prop by now had a glide back down and I put it on the deck about 10ft from me, pleased with that considering
Can I post supplier links, or is someone going to be less than happy ?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:58 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Would a 60amp esc work with a motor only requiring a 15 amp?
Motor
C2822/25

Size
KV(rpm/v)

Power(W)
Wire Winds
Resistance(mO)
Idle Current(A)
Shaft diameter A(mm)
ESC(A)
Motor length B(mm)
Cells Ni-Cd/Ni-MH