HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:37 PM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
982 Posts
Not sure about hot-glue, it can be a bit too solid, I prefer foam-safe glue like UHU Por. But if you have 'paper-on' you might get away with straight out contact-adhesive. Best to try a stick with some scrap bits and see how it goes. Are you covering with any particular material ? I covered using colour parcel-tape which strengthen's the model somewhat.
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:43 PM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
982 Posts
If it's not too late, maybe consider making a longer nose. My FB and I found it was better to get the battery just about central on LE for best CG and flight performance. But as you can see from my 'unique' build, I did a couple of things a bit different. Elevator control line is inside fuse, hatch on underside for RX & Elev-servo, tal is separate piece and narrower at back of main wing. I'm really pleased with flight, it handles great in just about any conditions. You are sure to be in for a treat when you get yours in the air.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:58 PM
Corsir Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Not sure on covering, but I was thinking about just shooting paint on the paper. I have enough $ foam to build a few of these. So I might build another with a longer fuse.
Mopower71 is online now Find More Posts by Mopower71
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:08 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Would this work for the motor?
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001225001
Trying to pick out a cheap but powerful enough motor/esc for this. VTO would be real cool.

Or this
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224163
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:38 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
819 Posts
Mo power - I hope your plane flies well right off the bat. You're in for a special treat if it does. Very cool to do some cutting, gluing, throw in some electronics and have the thing actually fly.

It's good you have someone to help you along, the rcgroups community seems to be righteous that way.
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:56 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
982 Posts
Mo, the 1600kv should do you well, maybe try a few prop's in the range 7x5 or 8x3.8. Make sure you check max static current draw before you take off. I always aim for esc about 1/3 more capacity than required, then it's going to cope easily. Prop choice comes down to how your new build is required to fly, bigger prop will probably give you gentler acceleration bordering on slow-fly, mine is 7x4 for good acceleration. It's a bit 'try it & see' territory as flying often is.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:45 AM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
This is my corsair motor specs
Motor model: C4038-15 (Old Product NO:301302B)
Dimensions (mm) 4038 Maximum sustained current (A) 13
Shaft diameter (mm) 4 No load current (A) 1.7A
Weight (g/oz) 80/2.8 Internal resistance (mΩ) 85
Output Power (W) 110 Thrust (oz) 24.5
No load KV (rpm/V) 700 Suitable propeller 1047
Batteries 3 cell Li-Po Use for model Aerobatics airplane
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:56 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
982 Posts
If you are putting that on your funbat, it will deffinately go !!!
Only problem I can see is torque-roll, you would want only maybe half-throttle taking off.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:22 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
I was thinking about it. As I already have it. But it is not a high kv motor. I need to just order one. And that 1600 kv one is pre order status right now
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:08 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
982 Posts
Yes, 1600 - 2000kv better so you can keep the prop size in relation to model.
http://www.targethobby.com/hb2822-rc...p-4161589.html
Take a look here, this is what I might have on mine, goes a treat
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:28 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
What was shipping cost from them, also did it take weeks to get?
Looks like they have good combo deals with motor, esc, props, connectors and propsaver.
http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate...p-4162006.html

or

http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate...p-4162005.html
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:57 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
982 Posts
Mo, don't know shipping for US, I'm in UK. Seemed pretty reasonable, I think of it as the whole cost which is often much cheaper than LHS. The same motor off-the-shelf here (if I could get it) would be around 17 (about $24) so if you order bits to make best of postage, you will get it at much less than LHS. We don't have the massive purchase options that you do, so I scrabble around on internet looking for best prices. Some sites are better than others depending what you need, I don't get batteries from Target for instance, but RX's are a steal !
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWData View Post
Not sure about hot-glue, it can be a bit too solid, I prefer foam-safe glue like UHU Por. But if you have 'paper-on' you might get away with straight out contact-adhesive. Best to try a stick with some scrap bits and see how it goes. Are you covering with any particular material ? I covered using colour parcel-tape which strengthen's the model somewhat.
I tried some contact adhesive on a few scrapes. It sticks to the paper real well, but if you pull on it the paper peels off the foam. If you put it on the foam, the foam starts to compress/melt. It cut it;s size in half.

With foam safe ca it's the same with the paper, but foam to foam is ok, just feels more flexible without the paper on.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:12 AM
PowerTower
Joined Aug 2009
982 Posts
Mo, that's where the spar is important, but I also covered mine with packing tape to make it stronger. Also I have a balsa leading edge which helps the wing stiffness. I tried paper-on foam only once, it does have a tendancy to warp especially if it get's wet. Look at the sticky's in scratch-build, there are lot's of tips how to get best results when using these build materials.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
I did order a motor, servos, escape and some props. Just have to wait till they get here.