HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
228 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Getting Started in Electric RC Airplanes (Make sureTo Download my PDF Guide in Post1)

Hey,

I would like to share a document I put together detailing supplies a brand-new beginner will need to get into RC. I have been fascinated by airplanes since I was a little kid, and first wanted my own RC plane probably by age 4, but couldn't afford it until age 11 after raising and selling several cows with my dad's help. It cost me $550 (the equivalent of almost $900 today assuming 3% annual inflation). I know that there are many kids out there who would just love to get into RC, but either don't have the $350-$550 necessary to get started using a local hobby shop, or just don't know where to begin.

Modern electric Radio Control changes all that, however, and vastly-improved overseas manufacturers now make very high quality parts at a fraction of the cost of what it used to be.
A beginner in RC can now get a fully functional 4 channel airplane with Transmitter, Receiver, battery, charger, etc.--all for only $150-$250!!! I find this incredible. I have ~16 years RC experience and again, just want to share my love of RC and help more young people get into it for ***much*** less money than I spent to get started!

Please feel free to share this document with others, including friends, kids, neighbors, etc, and help grow this very enjoyable, worthwhile, and educational hobby. Let's get more kids off the video games and doing something more worthwhile with their time!

Please see these links for the file I am talking about.

I'm not affiliated with any of the links/companies I recommend. I just love RC. To the skeptics: If you don't believe me, please *open your eyes* and look at all of the many links in the documents I have posted, and you'll see dozens of different companies and links, from TowerHobbies to RadioShack to Nitroplanes, HorizonHobby, HobbyKing, etc.

Please click link directly below to download the PDF to learn more and share with others (I've put it on a free Google Sites website for easy updating). Once you get to the website, click the link above the PDF and go to File --> Download.

https://sites.google.com/site/electricrcaircraftguru/
Note: I will someday post another document which contains more "traditional," expensive name-brand airplanes from places like TowerHobbies, Parkzone (HorizonHobby), etc, but just haven't been able to get to it yet. However, this plane document isn't even my focus anyway, as distributing the ebook below (if there is even any interest from people in seeing it) is my primary intent.

...So, here is the primary document I've been working on, which I aspire to be an informational ebook about some of the more obscure details of RC aircraft which can be difficult to come by. It also has a download link directly above the PDF once you go to the website:

https://sites.google.com/site/electr...raftguru/doc-2

Thanks!
panther3001 is offline Find More Posts by panther3001
Last edited by panther3001; Sep 13, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:56 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,576 Posts
Quote:
Let's get more kids off the video games and doing something more worthwhile with their time!
Good luck.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,015 Posts
Is this an advertisement for your a business you are starting? If so you may want to put this in the classifieds section. Good intentions, but not really the place for it I think.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2010
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Is this an advertisement for your a business you are starting? If so you may want to put this in the classifieds section. Good intentions, but not really the place for it I think.
No, not a business. I seriously just want to help people out.

I get the same questions time after time after time, and I finally summarized it all in one document so I can help someone know what I'd recommend to order. I've done ~350+ hrs research online out of shear interest in the last couple years, and literally just want to share what I know. If you notice, the links in the PDF are to Nitroplanes, xheli, towerhobbies, hobbyking, amazon, walmart, radioshack, etc. You really think someone can be affiliated with all those companies? Nothing for me. No money for me. just sharing what I know.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Dec 2010
228 Posts
PS. I"m also writing an ebook I will post at some point in the future. Again, for free. No money; not a business. Just finished a couple degrees and want to spend more time in RC sharing what I know.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,015 Posts
Cool. I agree, It is time to get kids out in the air instead of stuck in a room looking at a PC monitor or TV. With the Hobbyzone introduction of models like the Champ and the Firebird Stratos, flying RC is really affordable now. Maybe your post will entice new flyers out there.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Dec 2010
228 Posts
I got tired of how long my book was taking, and I'm finally just posting this to get something out for the public. I'd like to have them posted on some free website, but I haven't looked into that so for now I'm just putting the documents online in forums like this. Read the PDF and you'll see i'm just answering the same old questions experienced pilots get time after time after time. If people think this is useful at all, I hope it can even be made a sticky post to help out the beginner.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3001 View Post
I got tired of how long my book was taking, and I'm finally just posting this to get something out for the public. I'd like to have them posted on some free website, but I haven't looked into that so for now I'm just putting the documents online in forums like this. Read the PDF and you'll see i'm just answering the same old questions experienced pilots get time after time after time. If people think this is useful at all, I hope it can even be made a sticky post to help out the beginner.
You obviously need to get off your backside then and get out flying

Isn't a big part of the reason that the computer is so popular is that, you don't have to spend money on models, you can meet all your flying 'buddies' online, plus you don't have to wait for the wind and rain to stop while surfing.

So why an I on here ?, it's raining, we have an amber warning for strong winds, and I have to wait for the glue to dry before building the next bit.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3001 View Post
... Let's get more kids off the video games and doing something more worthwhile with their time!
Mine move more playing on the Wii then I do while flying.

But I still got them some Guillows models to build so that in the end I have new planes to fly.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:28 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Mine move more playing on the Wii then I do while flying.

But I still got them some Guillows models to build so that in the end I have new planes to fly.
That's either sadistic, or your kids are pretty good at building.

My son bought me a Guillows B-17 for one birthday. Just opening the box and seeing all that printed wood, and vac formed plastic worried me. By the time I had cut all the pieces out, there was just no enthusiasm left to build it. Sadly I sold it on.

50+ years of building, and a Guillows kit had me running scared.

But I do hope your kids enjoy the build, along with your help . My son only ever built one model, an electric glider many years ago, some are builders, some are watches.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:28 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,664 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159179
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
228 Posts
Yep, seeing that link of the Guillows reminds me why I love foamies! I'm a flyer. Building is a part of flying, but I build to FLY! --Some people love to build so much they fly to build---or just build.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Dec 2010
228 Posts
What's My Motivation???

PS. FYI to anyone who reads the first post and wants clarification on why my intro may sound a little odd at first (ie: why am I doing this--what's my motivation???), so here goes on a brief background of why I am doing this:

What I'm doing was instigated by two independent events.

1) My former professor at the university where I graduated asked me to help him teach his students about electric RC in their aeronautical engineering senior design class so that the students could choose the *right components* and put together a flying model they designed. This led to the full-blown 80+ pg ebook I'm close to finishing and "publishing" on RCGroups in a thread just like this.

And 2) I volunteered one night and a weekend a few months back to do an "RC Airplane Hobby Night" presentation and flight instruction on my buddy box for the young men's youth group at my church. That led to the development of this 6 pg. document (again, which is posted here in Post 1 of this thread) so that I could answer their questions and help them get started. I purposefully looked for ECONOMICAL solutions to help them get into the hobby.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:16 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,133 Posts
Two things -

What are you trying to solder that a 25 watt iron won't handle? For most work I use a $6 temperature controlled iron which is the size of or smaller than my non-temperature controlled iron 25 watt iron.

Second - get a proof reader, especially if you want it in English rather than American. To start with, the title has an "of" missing.

Otherwise - YES, something like this is good to have.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:00 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,096 Posts
This is a good initiative, and could be useful for many new to the hobby. It's a lot to learn in the beginning. And if someone bother to read, maybe the start could be less stressful.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu