HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Right now you're enjoying free cooling.
What motors?
Since you're spinning 12" props, is it safe to assume you're not running stock DJI 2212s?
From my previous post above:

I have built a medium size Y6 with axi 2814/22, nex5n, 2x5000mah,naza, gps.

- Weight 3850 gram.
- M2M 72cm
- I have read the gouge
- I have tried with Nex on and off.
- I have tried with VTx on and off (5,8ghz)
- I have done the magnetic calibration.
- X & Y cg is dead on.
- Z value is -12cm from CG to GPS
- I have tried different Z-values: -10, -8, -14 without luck.
- I have the Nex mounted below frames.
- The MC distance from CG is -3,5cm
- I have the batteries mounted above frame, covered in alu tape.
- I have used a compass trying to find any magnetic problems - no major movement of the compass needle.
- Everything worked great when I had my smaller Y6 (MT2216).
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:16 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,944 Posts
Sorry...

I read right over the first line...
And when Hellseige started talking about 10" vs. 8" props, my mind went to stock DJI...
Please excuse my garbled brain...
You should have quite an industrial strength rig there!
Let us know how it finally sorts out...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Feb 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:16 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
You know, I've changed a lot on my 450 including brand and size of battery, GoPro/No GoPro, gimbal/nogimbal, LED lights on or off.... and haven't noticed any need for recalibration. No TBE, flies straight, doesn't drift. I'm inclined to say if it ain't broke don't recalibrate. If its flight characteristics change, then recalibrate. Disclaimer, my GPS/compass is on a full height mast with nothing else close by.
A lot does depend on your installation. Generally the biggest influence on the compass is going to be the closest motor(s), so provided you do an initial calibration the effect of any subsequent chages is probably going to be slight.

However calibration doesn't take long, so personally I would do it if I made a significant change. I've just got some 8000 mAh packs to replace my 5400s and I will do a recalibrate before I fly (the pack is on the top and so reasonably close to the GPS/compass unit).
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:32 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Pictures

No problem TJ!

Here are two pictures of my Y6.

The GPS beside the Naza GPS is an eaglee tree and I have tried flying without it - no diff. My Y6 is not finished so not all cables are tied up or routed the corrct way yet.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:42 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,944 Posts
Batteries & GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
The GPS beside the Naza GPS is an eaglee tree and I have tried flying without it - no diff. My Y6 is not finished so not all cables are tied up or routed the corrct way yet.
That IS nice!
Just your motor investment tells me you are serious about your planned mission...

FWIW your problem with TBE may be from the GPS being so close to the lipos.
As Bill Glover stated, the ESC/motor system is a big contributor to interference.
The battery is also.
On my F450, my lipo is very near the GPS module = TBE.
On my F550, my battery is well away from the GPS module =/= TBE.
If rotation of the GPS module does not seem to help, you might resort to shielding and/or distance from the lipos...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
That IS nice!
Just your motor investment tells me you are serious about your planned mission...

FWIW your problem with TBE may be from the GPS being so close to the lipos.
As Bill Glover stated, the ESC/motor system is a big contributor to interference.
The battery is also.
On my F450, my lipo is very near the GPS module = TBE.
On my F550, my battery is well away from the GPS module =/= TBE.
If rotation of the GPS module does not seem to help, you might resort to shielding and/or distance from the lipos...
Actually the round plate where the GPS is mounted is thin CF - to act as a shield from the batteries (and other things), worked great on my little Y6. (I havent had time yet to rotate/turn the GPS...)

Those motors are AXI 2814/22 droidworxs edition, same price just looks nicer ......!
No better factory balanced than T-motors .....
Last edited by tritan; Feb 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:59 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
You know, I've changed a lot on my 450 including brand and size of battery, GoPro/No GoPro, gimbal/nogimbal, LED lights on or off.... and haven't noticed any need for recalibration. No TBE, flies straight, doesn't drift. I'm inclined to say if it ain't broke don't recalibrate. If its flight characteristics change, then recalibrate. Disclaimer, my GPS/compass is on a full height mast with nothing else close by.
I'm with kallend on this matter

I calibrated the GPS once, before the 1st flight, back in november, then I flew like 25 packs, added FPV, flew 20 more packs, then wasted the whole thing in a river, rebuilt the whole frame (including all motors and ESC, moved the GPS), then flew 6 more times, then removed the FPV gear and moved everything around once again, and flew about 10 more packs. During all this I RTH about 15 times, it always worked, and I fly outdoors in mountains, often very windy, rarely the same place, sometime I carry a GoPro, other times not, I changed like 5 times the location of the GPS ,and the lenght of its pole, etc, and the GPS always worked fine.

-------------------

Quote:
Right now you're enjoying free cooling.
Free cooling is good !
Last time I flew it was -9C, spinning 10" graups with T2216 motors.
After you land, by the time you remove the gloves to touch the motors, the temperature is already back below 0C

Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Feb 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:15 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,944 Posts
Whatever Works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Actually the round plate where the GPS is mounted is thin CF - to act as a shield from the batteries (and other things), worked great on my little Y6. (I havent had time yet to rotate/turn the GPS...)

Those motors are AXI 2814/22 droidworxs edition, same price just looks nicer ......!
No better factory balanced than T-motors .....
You might get lucky and be spot on once you rotate the GPS module.
Experience substantiates that each airframe/set-up is different.
How do those very pointy landing gear do?
Personally I like blunt things that don't catch grass, asphalt, etc. if I come down with a little lateral velocity...
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:12 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSouthGA View Post
Hey guys! This is my first post in this thread but I would appreciate any help I could get.

I'm working on my 4th NAZA + GPS build right now (so I'm pretty familiar with naza settings, tuning, ect.) but this my first setup with a 1.2/1.3Ghz (1280 I'm pretty sure) vTx on my frame too. I usually run 5.8 Ghz.

My Problem-
I can't get a GPS lock when my vTX is on as it is interfering. I know because I've tested with the vTX off and on. The flashes are typical NO SAT flashes Green, Red, Red, Red with it on and I get a full sat lock almost immediately without it on.

When I put a 1500 low pass filter on my vTX the GPS Flashes Greenx2, Redx3, Greenx2, Redx3 and so on in GPS mode.
In Atti mode it flashes Yellow x2, Red x3, Yellow x2, Red x3, ect.

Any ideas, and can a NAZA GPS antenna function with a 1.3Ghz Tx onboard? What the heck are the two green flashes? I have not seen this in the manual.

PS I also am running a 400-430 Mhz FC Tx/Rx.
Straight from Wikipedia (so take it for what it's worth)... "All satellites broadcast at the same two frequencies, 1.57542 GHz (L1 signal) and 1.2276 GHz (L2 signal)."

If you've got a high power VTx in the 1.3GHz range, you might be saturating your GPS receiver with VTx transmissions. The GPS signal that we receive here on the ground is comparatively very low power... a 1W Vtx mounted anywhere on the copter may just be too much.

Personally, I'm using a 5.8GHz VTx, just to get away from the GPS frequencies, and haven't had any problems.
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:32 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
For me, Manual to ATTI to GPS to ATTI to Manual counts as one. I do this 10 times and wait for a second or so and the Naza enters the Compass calibration mode, not GPS. Do the DJI dance and you are done.
OK! I was able to get into calibration mode! After the NAZA "dance" what do you do immediately after the dance is complete and what indicates success? Let's assume I've entered calibration mode with my 3 position switch ending in manual position. Thanks!
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:38 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,944 Posts
Follow The Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypup View Post
OK! I was able to get into calibration mode! After the NAZA "dance" what do you do immediately after the dance is complete and what indicates success? Let's assume I've entered calibration mode with my 3 position switch ending in manual position. Thanks!
Here's a copy of what the latest (v2.5) Naza Manual says...
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
You might get lucky and be spot on once you rotate the GPS module.
Experience substantiates that each airframe/set-up is different.
How do those very pointy landing gear do?
Personally I like blunt things that don't catch grass, asphalt, etc. if I come down with a little lateral velocity...
The landing gears actually flex a lot - unfortunatly more sideways than vertically ..And then these are the modified, improved version according to Mikrokopter.

There are like a small bent "shoe" at the bottom of the landing gear to avoid getting caught in grass.

But they are lightweight, about 25 grams each.

I have a card board with me whenever I fly for take off and landing - avoiding FOD for electronics, camera, props etc so the landing gear cant get stuck there.

I prefer the inverted T-style landing gear which I had on my small Y6, much better.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:09 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Here's a copy of what the latest (v2.5) Naza Manual says...
TJ...thanks a lot. I had the old manual. Printed out the new version
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:13 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
After calibration?

Once the compass is calibrated I can then initialize the NAZA system in any mode of my choosing? ie manual, att or gps? Is this correct?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:16 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,944 Posts
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypup View Post
Once the compass is calibrated I can then initialize the NAZA system in any mode of my choosing? ie manual, att or gps? Is this correct?
That is if your definition of "initialize" is power-up...
Site Sponsor