HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:10 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,396 Posts
One other thing that should be mentioned is the sunlight issue.

Try putting black electrical tape on both sides of your naza to protect it from any

excessive sunlight coming in and disturbing the components that are

sensitive to sunlight.

there are quite a few posts about it. It could be part of your issue, or not, but

it is a good practice...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:43 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,995 Posts
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
If it climbs when you YAW left and drops when you YAW right then it's your thumbs. Buy a micro quad to teach yourself not to do this.
If you were talking to me and not Maddawg2012, my transmitter tray pretty much fixes my problem.
It's caused by arthritis in my hands...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Feb 14, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:36 PM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
GPS related features like RTH, HL, and CL have details that remain mysteries.

After some debate on the part of SindeyW, TahoeEd, and I, Ed was able to substantiate that RTH works whether you are in Atti or GPS when it is activated on the Phantom (requires turning off transmitter = not good).

I've not had good enough weather to do some tests that I want to perform.
Damn wind won't die down, and when it does, it's raining.
Perhaps you could shed some light...
1. Does RTH (switched, not transmitter off) work on a standard Naza in Atti as well as GPS?
What about Manual?
2. With a standard Naza, if you take off in Atti, is a home position recorded?
Or do you need to be in GPS?
TJ,

To answer your questions... RTH does work if you are in ATTI, and it does work if you take off in ATTI (so home position is recorded).

I discovered this more by accident a few weeks ago. Most of my flying is within line-of-sight, so I'd say that I take off about 50/50 in GPS/ATTI. Regardless... after flying around for a while, I wanted to test the switched RTH... my quad did just as expected until I got it back overhead and wanted to regain control. I reached for the switch to put it in ATTI and realized that it had been in ATTI the entire time. I was able to switch to GPS and back to ATTI and get control back... but it was reassuring to know that if you lose your Tx/Rx link in ATTI mode, it should still come home (if programmed to do so).
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:51 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,995 Posts
@Cobra68

Thanks!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:53 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra68 View Post
TJ,

To answer your questions... RTH does work if you are in ATTI, and it does work if you take off in ATTI (so home position is recorded).

I discovered this more by accident a few weeks ago. Most of my flying is within line-of-sight, so I'd say that I take off about 50/50 in GPS/ATTI. Regardless... after flying around for a while, I wanted to test the switched RTH... my quad did just as expected until I got it back overhead and wanted to regain control. I reached for the switch to put it in ATTI and realized that it had been in ATTI the entire time. I was able to switch to GPS and back to ATTI and get control back... but it was reassuring to know that if you lose your Tx/Rx link in ATTI mode, it should still come home (if programmed to do so).
Thanks!! Good info. I think it was TJ our maybe someone else mention that they were fairly confident RTH works just fine in manual mode also. As you mention, it might make a difference if you took off in manual and didn't have a home lock recorded. Does it record a home lock if in manual mode? So many questions, so little time
melsailsnorth is online now Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:19 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
Thanks!! Good info. I think it was TJ our maybe someone else mention that they were fairly confident RTH works just fine in manual mode also. As you mention, it might make a difference if you took off in manual and didn't have a home lock recorded. Does it record a home lock if in manual mode? So many questions, so little time
Mine works fine in any mode, the requirement, IMO, is that the GPS is connected, if so, RTH will work. Same as setting home position, regardless of flight mode selected, if the GPS is connected, (and seeing sats) it will set the home as soon as you raise the throttle.

There are many variables I'm seeing though, mainly with how folks are programming their radios...
Haych is online now Find More Posts by Haych
Last edited by Haych; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: GPS must see sats
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:23 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,242 Posts
Manual, ATTI, GPS - Yes, Yes, and Yes as long as you have satellite lock and home position is set at takeoff. Now, one more time, this is called a FailSafe feature for a reason. It is when you loose Tx signal, the craft just does not fly off. This is especially for those that want to turn their Tx off or use Tx/Rx combinations that do not support preset fail-safe. Yes you can set up a mix in your Tx to force FailSafe and the craft will return to a close approximation of the starting point. This is helpful for guys that are flying FPV and need some help. It is a poor demonstration tool when it doesn't work and flies off. I can see trying it once to make sure that it works in an emergency, but guys are talking like, I flew it out and just flicked the switch to watch it come back while I sat on my butt. Not cool in my opinion.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Manual, ATTI, GPS - Yes, Yes, and Yes as long as you have satellite lock and home position is set at takeoff. Now, one more time, this is called a FailSafe feature for a reason. It is when you loose Tx signal, the craft just does not fly off. This is especially for those that want to turn their Tx off or use Tx/Rx combinations that do not support preset fail-safe. Yes you can set up a mix in your Tx to force FailSafe and the craft will return to a close approximation of the starting point. This is helpful for guys that are flying FPV and need some help. It is a poor demonstration tool when it doesn't work and flies off. I can see trying it once to make sure that it works in an emergency, but guys are talking like, I flew it out and just flicked the switch to watch it come back while I sat on my butt. Not cool in my opinion.
very cool in my opinion

each to their own mate.
Haych is online now Find More Posts by Haych
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:51 AM
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post

Why not?
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:48 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,242 Posts
Because if it is not set up correctly and you go to failsafe, the craft flies off and you go "it just flew off, DJI makes crappy products." We have seen this way too many times. I understand that guys will do what they want but don't come whining here if it happens to you.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:22 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey98four View Post
Im presuming you have a futaba radio as i have tried to do the same but on my spektrum DX8 i cannot bind to two model memorys at the same time.
No this is with a Multiplex. You may well be right ... the Spektrum 'model match' stuff could block this approach.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
Mine works fine in any mode, the requirement, IMO, is that the GPS is connected, if so, RTH will work. Same as setting home position, regardless of flight mode selected, if the GPS is connected, (and seeing sats) it will set the home as soon as you raise the throttle.

There are many variables I'm seeing though, mainly with how folks are programming their radios...
I don't think that it's just the raising of the throttle that sets the home point, but initial battery power connection too. I remember changing a battery in the field after a flight, then flying on forward for a hundred yards or so, whilst walking behind, then landing and taking off again without cycling the power. When I initiated a switched RTH, it turned around and flew off behind me to where I had originally connected the battery.
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:16 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflyrv View Post
Why not?
Maybe because "failsafe" implies that it is meant as a safe response to failures, and not as a normal mode of operation.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2007
142 Posts
I use a DX8 with my Naza and would be curious to see someone's (who has had 100% success with RTH in all modes) DX8 config file as to how they have it set. I use the flap/gyro switch like most others with this Tx for GPS/ATTI/Manual and use my Bind/Trainer button to engage RTH/Failsafe. I have had mixed results with 2 different Naza units. Both ultimately had issues leading to fly aways and a crash. Each time I had a problem I could tell the Quad had switched to RTH because it would "twitch," become level, go up 20m or so, and "attempt" to fly home and land. On one such occasion the Quad was right above it's landing spot about 20ft up, but then just started drifting off into the horizon and I could not regain control.

I'm hoping all of these issues are just user error and can be resolved, but the inconsistencies I've seen reported here are a bit unnerving. I fly 50/50 LOS/FPV and would just like the piece of mind of RTH working 100% whether it's because I lose orientation, bad Tx link, or want to just "show off" my cool piece of technology to a friend.

I have also had conflicts and inconsistencies using OSDs with the Naza. I have used the IRC EzOSD, the TBS version EzOSD, and the Hornet OSD all seeming to create issues with either A) causing excessive drift in GPS mode B) not getting accurate alt, speed, home location etc C) possibly causing RTH to fail.

I know RTH works and have had some success, but the inconsistencies are maddening!
PeterGriffin is offline Find More Posts by PeterGriffin
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:47 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,242 Posts
Part of you issues may be with interference from the electronic components. I would remove or move components one at a time and see the effect. By elimination, you may be able to isolate the problem. Most of my quads with Naza GPS fly without extra additions, the exception is my F450 which is set up for FPV and has eLogger with OSD Pro and GPS mounted along with a vTx, Mondo Stinger 500mw 5.8gHz. The extra GPS is mounted on the opposite arm from the Naza GPS and the OSD Pro and eLogger are mounted on either side of the lipo in the center of the top plate. The vTx antenna is mounted pointing down from the top of the bottom plate. The RC Rx and satellite are mounted on the rear arms. It works in RTH without interference. I may be lucky or it is just the placement of the components.
Site Sponsor