SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
Sure... I found that with the stock motors and 8x5 props, when at high power settings (i.e. climbing aggressively to clear an obstacle) in MAN that I was getting a stuttering - kind of like trying to climb a hill in too high a gear in a car. I tried messing with the vertical gains but it didn't help. In ATT it didn't happen cause it just doesn't climb very fast in that mode.

I resolved the problem by going to bigger Avroto 2814 motors, while staying with the stock DJI 30A ESCs. I tried 10x5 Graupners, but found that the lower "wing" loading made the MRC a little less smooth and more susceptible to turbulence. I settled on Graupner 9x5 as a good compromise over the 8".
I am thinking about moving from 10x4.7 and trying maybe 9" props. What KV is that Avroto motor? 3S or 4S?
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,349 Posts
question about calibration:

is it necessary to do the calibration in order for the GPS to work? And im sure i just missed this in the manual...but how can you tell that you have a gps lock?

I have set up al my switches and can get it to go into all modes...i have a dx6i but was able to simulate a 3 pos switch using mixes...

any quick advice would be awesome...thx!!
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Another two hours trying to program a simple fail safe over ride switch with my A9 without sucess. I guess I can go into the garage and eat some paste because I just cant figure it out. I've watched the videos and read all the posts on how to program it on this or that radio.

I went ahead and programed my radio for heli mode and got everything to work. Gyro is on switch E. I programed a mix with the gyro to AUX 2. I adjust the end points and can get my fail safe switch to over ride AIT and GPS modes but not manual.

I would really like to drop the F bomb here about 20 times and smash my head into a wall right now.
Why do you have it in Heli mode? I have an Aurora 9 and it was pretty simple to do. First make sure your 3 position switch for flight mode is set up correctly, i have mine in CH5/AUX1 with Switch C and i just had to adjust the Travel Limit to +86% and -83%

Then i added a Programable mix (Blank -> AUX1 ) in wich i set the offset of -54% and assigned it to Switch B. This way i override the failsafe with Switch B.

Hope it helps
urbankuest is offline Find More Posts by urbankuest
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
I am thinking about moving from 10x4.7 and trying maybe 9" props. What KV is that Avroto motor? 3S or 4S?
770kv and 4S 4200mah. Around 1620g AUW.
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
question about calibration:

is it necessary to do the calibration in order for the GPS to work? And im sure i just missed this in the manual...but how can you tell that you have a gps lock?

I have set up al my switches and can get it to go into all modes...i have a dx6i but was able to simulate a 3 pos switch using mixes...

any quick advice would be awesome...thx!!
No, it will work without doing a calibration but it works much better if you do it. The GPS is fully locked (7 satellites) when the red flashes stop. It will work OK with just one flash (6 satellites) but I wait until it has 7 before flying.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
My F330 does the bounce thing on RTH landings, got it on video uploading to Youtube now. Went FPV flying today to test out the new setup on the F330 and get some goggle time. Very windy but the little 330 flew amazingly well even in the wind, and the position hold is amazing. I'll post the link to the video once Y/T gets done with it...

One thing I did have to do was to turn the GPS alignment about 3/8 of an inch to the right to get it to stop the TB effect, once I did that it now locks in solid and doesn't move

The GPS for my F450 was delivered today, got that setup and did a couple test flights in the backyard. The VTX doesn't seem to affect this one like it does on the F330, have to swap the TX for an AR 7000 so I can setup RTH before I can really give this one a good test flight.
COOL,
I really need to remember what the 330 is for, I dont really care that it is doing the bounce, I need to get my FPV gear on it and have some fun!!

Now when i get the GPS for Hexa i sure hope it dont do the bouncing game
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:19 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbankuest View Post
Why do you have it in Heli mode? I have an Aurora 9 and it was pretty simple to do. First make sure your 3 position switch for flight mode is set up correctly, i have mine in CH5/AUX1 with Switch C and i just had to adjust the Travel Limit to +86% and -83%

Then i added a Programable mix (Blank -> AUX1 ) in wich i set the offset of -54% and assigned it to Switch B. This way i override the failsafe with Switch B.

Hope it helps
Blank mix? Ugh....I guess I'll have to try again when my TX pack is charged up.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,349 Posts
Quote:
No, it will work without doing a calibration but it works much better if you do it. The GPS is fully locked (7 satellites) when the red flashes stop. It will work OK with just one flash (6 satellites) but I wait until it has 7 before flying.
ok so it flashes red 7 times and then stops and then its got GPS lock? what does the LED do after? ive seen red flashes and then they stop and then i just see the green blink...or whatever it usually looks like when its in Atti....

Also i seem to be having an issue getting it into calibration...any tips on this? I am flipping between manual and gps fast like it says...but it just wont seem to get into cali mode.

Does it have to pass through atti as well? i know they say to put this on a 3 pos switch...but since im only on dx6i..it goes directly from manual to gps,,,i have to flip a 3rd switch to get it into atti,,,,
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Mar 2010
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Blank mix? Ugh....I guess I'll have to try again when my TX pack is charged up.
by blank i mean empty
urbankuest is offline Find More Posts by urbankuest
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
770kv and 4S 4200mah. Around 1620g AUW.
YEah I think I am going to go to 4S and smaller props. I am trying the custom esc firmware in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678 to see if I can get better performance and to get rid of the turnigy esc arming issue. Just need to go testfly.
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
I have an Aurora 9, and with the help of another member here, got it set up on a 9 channel Rx. I then set up another aero on it with a 7 channel rx, using 6 of the channels . One 3 position switch for GPS, Att, Man. One 3 position for off,
and the other flight whatever it's called toward or away from you thing.. and a third 2 position switch for failsafe.I'll try to write the setup tomorrow, when I can make more sense .
Web000 is offline Find More Posts by Web000
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
COOL,
I really need to remember what the 330 is for, I dont really care that it is doing the bounce, I need to get my FPV gear on it and have some fun!!

Here's the video, thanks to BostonFlyGuy for assisting today and handling the camera while I watched through the goggles...

20120616114317.MTS (1 min 43 sec)
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:34 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbankuest View Post
by blank i mean empty
Didn't even know it was possible.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,750 Posts
Quote:
Here's the video, thanks to BostonFlyGuy for assisting today and handling the camera while I watched through the goggles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35eVoHEINSY
That looks just like mine
cant wait to get my fpv stuff on mine
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, NY, Huntington Station
Joined May 2012
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit View Post
COOL,

I agree. Don't kill yourself over trying to get the 330 working. I think it's the prop too close to the NAZA's baro sensor and affecting it's altitude detection.

Which hexa you have? The failsafe landing works really well for my Talon hexa 625.

NAZA GPS on Turnigy Talon Hexa - Fail Safe Landing (1 min 17 sec)
chuenwe is offline Find More Posts by chuenwe
Last edited by chuenwe; Jun 17, 2012 at 01:41 AM.