HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:14 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Can't image I was flying my first Naza 14 months ago .....
After watching Ferdinand, I took the same airframe & Naza out and did a 15 minutes flight in the backyard; only difference, there is snow on the ground while I was wearing shorts in China then.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:02 AM
--
United States, WA, Ravensdale
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
5th or 6th flight...

Hey Guys,

I've been playing around with getting a new quad setup with the Naza+GPS setup. It's my 3rd quad with the Naza+GPS setup (so I'm fairly familiar with the setup), but this one is a FPV Manuals QAV500 and my first foray into FPV flying.

I've put up a short video... flown with the FPV gear on board, but all flown by visual means. I've got a FPV camera, but also have it wired to take video directly from the GoPro camera... just have to change out the plug on the Video Tx.

I wasn't aiming for anything in particular with this video... still just trying to get a feel for the quad, and determining what adjustments I wanted to make to the Naza gains. You may notice that the maneuvering gets a 'bit' more aggressive as the movie progresses.

Has anyone tried using dual/triple gains with the Naza? I looked through the manual and didn't see any reference to it... but after watching the video, I'm thinking that lower rates would definitely help make the video a little smoother...

Anyways... enjoy the sunset at Lake Havasu...

Just a short video of Lake Havasu (FPV Manuals, QAV-500 Quad, with GoProHero2) (7 min 56 sec)
Cobra68 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra68
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:07 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,266 Posts
cobra, it would be nice if you put a link for your video. I like your description but can't watch it.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:17 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
cobra, it would be nice if you put a link for your video. I like your description but can't watch it.
Sorry... try again.. it should be up now.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:30 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,266 Posts
I saw it. You picked a perfect setting at a great time of day as the sun was coming up. There were parts of the video that were fantastic. However, I would offer some advise. Add some expo into your Elevator and Aileron controls. I use 30% for normal flight and up to 50% with 80% D/R for fine movements. You can make those adjustments in your Tx. That will slow down the stick movements so you are not getting so much jerky movements. The other thing that I can offer is to allow the quad to drift. Start it in a direction at then let it move without your intervention. The video will be much better and smoother. You choose a great location to shoot. It looks like a wonderful place to be. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your video.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:23 AM
--
Joined Jan 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
I saw it. You picked a perfect setting at a great time of day as the sun was coming up. There were parts of the video that were fantastic. However, I would offer some advise. Add some expo into your Elevator and Aileron controls. I use 30% for normal flight and up to 50% with 80% D/R for fine movements. You can make those adjustments in your Tx. That will slow down the stick movements so you are not getting so much jerky movements. The other thing that I can offer is to allow the quad to drift. Start it in a direction at then let it move without your intervention. The video will be much better and smoother. You choose a great location to shoot. It looks like a wonderful place to be. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your video.
Thanks Tahoe Ed... I do appreciate your comments. The one thing that I didn't mention, was that this was all flown at 100% travel, and without any Expo. My other two quads were pretty docile with the Naza+GPS, and didn't really require dual rates/expo... but weren't being used for aerial photography either. This one flies just great without any DR/Expo... but I think I'll need to mix some in for that jerkiness in the video that you talked about.

Thanks,
Sully
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:41 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,266 Posts
It is a different animal doing A/P. What you can get away with in general flying and FPV does not work for A/P. It all has to be smooth. That is why I have multiple settings on my Elevator D/R and my Aileron D/R. It does help. We all learn here.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:33 AM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post
Hello,

short video of my new Naza quad maiden today:

https://vimeo.com/56595837

Motors: Tiger 650KV
Props: foxtech 14x7
ESCs: hobbywing quattro 20A
AUW: 1300gr
Battery: 4S5800 (for this flight, 4400mAh recharged)
Flighttime to be determined, this flight was 30min.

best regards

Ferdinand
Ferdinand, as I'm also interested in long flight times - could you please give me more information on the motors? Are these the MT3506 ones?
And where did you get the foxtech 14x7 props from? Can you recommend them against the Graupner 14x8?
ralfrcgroups is offline Find More Posts by ralfrcgroups
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:01 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,423 Posts
The copter was some sort of recycling components around. The motors are the MT3506 ones. On most of my other copter I am using the Graupner 14x8 and I am very happy with them (and get reasonable flight-time). This was the first time I tried the 14x7 foxtech, and they are also good. Which one are better is hard to say, this would need a direct comparison, which I have not done yet.

A first indication on the prop-eta is the sound of the prop, the more "silent" the better, in this criteria, the 14x7 foxtech are very good.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:34 AM
NJ
Joined Oct 2007
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Barrao View Post
Yesterday was a lot of fog here in my town and I decided to try a fpv video over it. Here is the video. Impresive view !!
For te descent, I used the RTH, ( very long waiting, very nervous), but everything was ok. Instead the fog, there day was windy, ( between 20-25 km/h).
Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhYhVHYodbk

Regards.
Félix
That my friend was awesome! I honestly don't know if I would have had the courage to do that.
FixedWing172 is offline Find More Posts by FixedWing172
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:44 AM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
254 Posts
@Ferdinand
TX!
Are you online at fpv-treff at the moment?
ralfrcgroups is offline Find More Posts by ralfrcgroups
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:53 AM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedWing172 View Post
That my friend was awesome! I honestly don't know if I would have had the courage to do that.
Yep, me too - thoroughly enjoyed it.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:46 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,423 Posts
@ralfrcgroups
I step in from time to time.
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:20 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Whenever possible go to a large field without powerlines nearby. Yes remove your keys, cell phone etc. Whenever you go someplace new palce to fly or change your equipment, the location of existing equipment or your software, do a new calibration. Some guys calibrate before they do their first flight of the day every time they fly.
If you recalibrate each time do you have to calibrate or re set up any of the settings in the assistant? What are the benefits of recalibrating?
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:43 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,995 Posts
Compass Recalibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2215 View Post
If you recalibrate each time do you have to calibrate or re set up any of the settings in the assistant? What are the benefits of recalibrating?
It is done independently of the Assistant settings.
The compass calibration relates to external forces/influences affecting compass accuracy only.
If you change flying locations, your compass might read directions differently.
If you are around anything causing compass interference, a recalibration causes the compass to operate within that influence.
That interference could be metal in the ground, power lines, buildings, natural anomalies.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Jan 02, 2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Trying to be clear...