HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
I'm building my first F550 now as we speak

check here for manuals + software, you may have to update your software for the GPS to be recognized

http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...tor/downloads/
Hi Pete,
welcome here!
The first thing to start with - my opinion - is download the latest manual and then RTFM....; Naza assistant software should be updated to the latest version and if necessary you should do a firmware upgrade to the naza. Then - when GPS is plugged in correctly at the FC - you should be able to find gps-modi-options in the assistant. As you still own and have flown a Naza you should then be able to set the correct parameters. Believe me - it's quite easy!
ralfrcgroups is offline Find More Posts by ralfrcgroups
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
I'm building my first F550 now as we speak

check here for manuals + software, you may have to update your software for the GPS to be recognized

http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...tor/downloads/
Thanks for the link! Looks like I have to basically reconfig the entire system after the update. I'll look more into that area. Thanks!
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
...I don't even know where to start...
Pete - Plug the gps into the naza - mount it as far away from any electronics on the quad - set any 3 position switch on your radio using the naza software to M - ATT - and GPS - that's it - go fly when you get a green only blink in GPS mode.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:35 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfrcgroups View Post
Hi Pete,
welcome here!
The first thing to start with - my opinion - is download the latest manual and then RTFM....; Naza assistant software should be updated to the latest version and if necessary you should do a firmware upgrade to the naza. Then - when GPS is plugged in correctly at the FC - you should be able to find gps-modi-options in the assistant. As you still own and have flown a Naza you should then be able to set the correct parameters. Believe me - it's quite easy!
Thanks! I will be "tinkering" with this today.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie James View Post
Pete - Plug the gps into the naza - mount it as far away from any electronics on the quad - set any 3 position switch on your radio using the naza software to M - ATT - and GPS - that's it - go fly when you get a green only blink in GPS mode.
Thanks. I really was hoping it was that easy. It's not from what I have been reading. I however will give it a bit to work on. After I finish my AR9200 Power Box install on my 40% Edge today. I will start on this GPS project. Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:50 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
Joined Sep 2009
853 Posts
Don't believe what you have been reading. It is that easy. Sometimes "drama" is the norm instead of "flying" .

Go fly that monster - and you are welcome. And by monster I meant the quad
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie James; Dec 29, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:18 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to the multi rotor forum ...

Pete
Welcome to the forum Pete!

One note of caution - please don't do your set-ups or testing with props on. There have bee several unintended startups with the assistant plugged in and it can get pretty dangerous.

Enjoy and thanks for posting!
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,437 Posts
OK, so I set up my NAZA with switchable failsafe so I could test without turning off the Tx. Works just as advertized in atti mode.

So today I decided to try it in GPS mode. According to p21 of the manual (yes, I have RTFM) it should exit enhanced failsafe mode if I switch back to atti or manual.

Well, the failsafe worked, the F450 climbed as it advertized. So I switched back to atti and it didn't come out of enhanced fail safe. Which would have been fine had there not been a tree between it and "home"!!!

Fortunately the damage was minimal.

Any ideas?
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2012
228 Posts
kallend -

Disengaging RTH and regaining control from switch-induced RTH is a two step process: 1) move the transmitter switch for activating RTH back to normal position 2) then, flip to a different flight mode (MAN / ALTI / GPS). Did you reposition your RTH switch back to normal before trying the different flight modes to get it out of RTH?

Regarding the tree - it was a 65+ foot tree?
QUAD4EVER is offline Find More Posts by QUAD4EVER
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:43 AM
Zaragoza (Spain)
Joined Jan 2005
91 Posts
Yesterday was a lot of fog here in my town and I decided to try a fpv video over it. Here is the video. Impresive view !!
For te descent, I used the RTH, ( very long waiting, very nervous), but everything was ok. Instead the fog, there day was windy, ( between 20-25 km/h).
Hope you like it.

FPV Sobre la niebla (6 min 4 sec)

Regards.
Félix
Felix Barrao is offline Find More Posts by Felix Barrao
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER View Post
kallend -

Regarding the tree - it was a 65+ foot tree?
Oh yes!
And I was unable to shut anything down while it was thrashing itself up there.
I am surprised the damage was so light, not even a broken prop.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:14 AM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
Joined Sep 2009
853 Posts
Great job Felix!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:18 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Well, the failsafe worked, the F450 climbed as it advertized. So I switched back to atti and it didn't come out of enhanced fail safe. Which would have been fine had there not been a tree between it and "home"!!!
I have had this happen twice, both on actual failsafes initiated by a problem I am having with my RX. Both times I tried to take over manually it kind of went out of control, once flying sideways till it hit a tree 60 feet up and got stuck in the tree for a while till it fell out and hit the barn roof. The second time it more or less crashed near me. The third time it went in RTH I let it land. It landed EXACTLY on the spot it took off from. Still can't figure out my problem but I am getting a lot of RTH excitement. It comes back fast and looks like it is going to overshoot and then lands perfectly. I am thinking if you try to come out after FFF before it really gets a good hover going Naza can't deal with it. Anyway, I am going to go with autolanding all the way.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:42 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,482 Posts
Rth

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I have had this happen twice, both on actual failsafes initiated by a problem I am having with my RX. Both times I tried to take over manually it kind of went out of control, once flying sideways till it hit a tree 60 feet up and got stuck in the tree for a while till it fell out and hit the barn roof. The second time it more or less crashed near me. The third time it went in RTH I let it land. It landed EXACTLY on the spot it took off from. Still can't figure out my problem but I am getting a lot of RTH excitement. It comes back fast and looks like it is going to overshoot and then lands perfectly. I am thinking if you try to come out after FFF before it really gets a good hover going Naza can't deal with it. Anyway, I am going to go with autolanding all the way.
On one of my crashes (June) I was not able to regain control. After that, much posting/discussion occurred about properly exiting Failsafe, exiting while in FFF, maybe switching back and forth from FM to FM to "wake up" the Naza, Failsafe throttle settings, etc. I don't think anyone has ever figured out why their particular "locked in RTH" occurred. Everyone admits that there's a lot going on in a tense situation.
That being said, I'll restate my view on RTH:
Failsafe (RTH) works most (95%+) of the time, but occasionally it doesn't (just like everything on the Naza). Failsafe is an emergency feature, not a FM. By all means test Failsafe on the bench and at your flying site. Be forewarned that demonstrating it repeatedly is asking for trouble.
I have not used Failsafe in weeks or even months...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
589 Posts
from what i have read when switching out of rth to you need to go to gps and then back to atti. it has worked flawlessly for me and i even tried it again yesterday and it worked perfect.

also got home lock working on my flight mode switch. if you loose orientation just got to home lock and when you pull back on the stick it will fly back to home no matter which way it is facing
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Quadcopter Pid Tuning