HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:37 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
Yes,

It could be related to GPS drift.

If your hdop lock is not strong, then you could have a drift in position interpretation.

That was a very radical reaction. It's quite unnerving when it happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
I have to admit that I did not have a full Sat Lock before taking off - still had one slow red. Lots of trees and hill side here that blocks full sat coverage. Maybe that causes this behavior. Though, it should have locked onto all sats way before the wobble happened (I would think)? In any case, I will try in an open field soon and try your plug, unplug and plug process and see if all is well. I must say, overall, I have really liked the Naza. Easy to setup and easy to fly and very stable (usually).
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:27 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,976 Posts
Flew my F450 today with my new Graupner props. I could tell right off the bat that it flies smoother with these props. I also flew with my new Dominator goggles. They are so much clearer than my Aviator goggles! You give up a little FOV for the increased clarity but I was able to pick up a lot more detail with the Dominators. They are better for me too, what with my near-sightedness. I'm sure the less vibration of the Graupner props also helped the clarity.

I also figured out my "black screen" camera problem. It seems to have been a faulty camera cable, the one that goes between the vTX and the camera. Had three 7-minutes flights with no issue.

Next steps are to mount the GoPro camera and move the vTX to the top of the quad to test my range. I'm having a blast with this thing!

I still didn't calibrate the compass. Was too excited to get started. I'll do that this week!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:07 AM
Professional RC Crash Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
444 Posts
Excuse me for butting in here. I'm a new quad flier. The F450 is my second quad and the shop I purchased it from set it up for me this morning. I don't have the GPS. I'm very pleased in that first flight was flawless. I only stayed in a tight confine but it hovered with ease and I was able to move in all directions with ease. Enough about my bragging.
I've read countless pages of this forum plus other forums and I'm looking for a forum or "How to get started" help aid. I see abbreviations that I don't understand and so much of what I read is really Greek to me. Can anyone suggest a beginners area or help aid?
eghershey is online now Find More Posts by eghershey
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:27 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Flew my F450 today with my new Graupner props. I could tell right off the bat that it flies smoother with these props. I also flew with my new Dominator goggles. They are so much clearer than my Aviator goggles! You give up a little FOV for the increased clarity but I was able to pick up a lot more detail with the Dominators. They are better for me too, what with my near-sightedness. I'm sure the less vibration of the Graupner props also helped the clarity.

I also figured out my "black screen" camera problem. It seems to have been a faulty camera cable, the one that goes between the vTX and the camera. Had three 7-minutes flights with no issue.

Next steps are to mount the GoPro camera and move the vTX to the top of the quad to test my range. I'm having a blast with this thing!

I still didn't calibrate the compass. Was too excited to get started. I'll do that this week!
Congrats, Mike

I recently bought a set of Dominators and it took about 1 second to get used to the slightly smaller FOV than the entry level pair I originally bought. The clarity difference more than makes up for the reduced field, not to mention the comfort and rubber eye cups to keep out the light.

I just ordered several sets of the GemFan wooden props and it'll be interesting to see how they work out, both with video vibration mitigation and current draw. I should get them in tomorrows mail and am champing at the bit to see how they work!

Glad you're having a great time!

-bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:27 AM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Drop it to 4S. 5S is only more efficient if you are running in the sweet spot of the motor and the ESC as a system. Idle is not the sweet spot which is, as a rule of thumb, 40% - 50% of max current. So 4S will be far more efficient and controllable running where it is happy than 5S struggling to control near idle.

Pictures and specs would be cool!
It's a foldable design I'm mucking around with, next step from the quad the design started with. 800mm between motors, running Dualsky ESC's and motors. If I can't sort these ESC's out then I'll go back to the Hobbywing units which worked perfectly in the quad.
Maxedout is offline Find More Posts by Maxedout
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:33 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxedout View Post
It's a foldable design I'm mucking around with, next step from the quad the design started with. 800mm between motors, running Dualsky ESC's and motors. If I can't sort these ESC's out then I'll go back to the Hobbywing units which worked perfectly in the quad.
That looks cool! Looks like a fair bit of machine work. Did you really need the GPS antenna on a stalk given where it is located?
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:54 AM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
That looks cool! Looks like a fair bit of machine work. Did you really need the GPS antenna on a stalk given where it is located?
Possibly not, but until I get the kinks ironed out of the rest of the system it's one less thing to cause any grief at this stage, it's not a priority on the refinement list yet.
Maxedout is offline Find More Posts by Maxedout
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke View Post
Congrats, Mike

I recently bought a set of Dominators and it took about 1 second to get used to the slightly smaller FOV than the entry level pair I originally bought. The clarity difference more than makes up for the reduced field, not to mention the comfort and rubber eye cups to keep out the light.

I just ordered several sets of the GemFan wooden props and it'll be interesting to see how they work out, both with video vibration mitigation and current draw. I should get them in tomorrows mail and am champing at the bit to see how they work!

Glad you're having a great time!

-bob
It's a lot of fun, thanks! I'm really enjoying the Dominators so far. Let us know how you make out with the GemFan props.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eghershey View Post
Excuse me for butting in here. I'm a new quad flier. The F450 is my second quad and the shop I purchased it from set it up for me this morning. I don't have the GPS. I'm very pleased in that first flight was flawless. I only stayed in a tight confine but it hovered with ease and I was able to move in all directions with ease. Enough about my bragging.
I've read countless pages of this forum plus other forums and I'm looking for a forum or "How to get started" help aid. I see abbreviations that I don't understand and so much of what I read is really Greek to me. Can anyone suggest a beginners area or help aid?
Welcome to the wonderful world of multirotor flying! If you're looking for some basic help, check the very first page/post of this thread as it has lots of helpful links and tips. Also, there's a DJI Naza FC thread in this same board that also contains lots of helpful links and tips. Check there first and if you can't find what you're looking for, drop back in here and we'll do our best to help!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
Help...

From Mike_Then:
"Welcome to the wonderful world of multirotor flying! If you're looking for some basic help, check the very first page/post of this thread as it has lots of helpful links and tips. Also, there's a DJI Naza FC thread in this same board that also contains lots of helpful links and tips. Check there first and if you can't find what you're looking for, drop back in here and we'll do our best to help!"
Also check out the DJI Wiki.
And, like Mike_Then said, we don't mind newbie questions if you don't mind being referred to previous posts...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
Germany, NDS, Soltau
Joined Nov 2012
12 Posts
Another newbie butting in,just a quick question! after watching the video DJI-h version i see that the gps is mounted on the tail.Can i not fix it on the arm of my quad?hate to break it on my first time out.I have tried a search for the answer ! but with no joy.
John

robinhood66 is offline Find More Posts by robinhood66
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood66 View Post
Another newbie butting in,just a quick question! after watching the video DJI-h version i see that the gps is mounted on the tail.Can i not fix it on the arm of my quad?hate to break it on my first time out.I have tried a search for the answer ! but with no joy.
John1
Pretty sure the DJI-H version is for helicopters. If this is true, then instead of motor output for stabilization you'd have AIL/ELE/PIT servo output.
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:16 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
GPS location

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood66 View Post
John
I think Hellsiege did not understand your question when you referenced the DJI-h.
FWIW, being on the heli's tail probably gets the GPS module out of RF interference range.
The DJI-h will not work for a multirotor.
If you are, in fact, using the DJI multirotor controller, the GPS mudule can be mounted on one of the arms.
Just remember that any mount other than the stalk puts the GPS module into RF noise.
On the arm, the ESC's activity might cause you to have to rotate the GPS module to compensate and prevent TBE.
TahoeEd, I believe, has his GPS module on one of the arms.
Mine is in the front, on an extension of the top plate (F450), or on the top plate itself (F550).
Both of us do that for the same reason you're stating, crash damage prevention...
I would recommend the GPS module stays on the top of the craft.
GPS signals are easily blocked by many objects such as frame parts.
These facts are buried deep in the thread...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:19 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
I suspect the GPS can be mounted almost anywhere, as long as you input the correct X-Y-and Z distances when setting up...... I try and get it close to centre as possible....and have just rebuilt the quad so that the NAZA is on the CofG too
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Germany, NDS, Soltau
Joined Nov 2012
12 Posts
Thank you for the very quick answer!you are right about the accident damage. I think i ll leave it off for the first few flights though. Once again thankyou.
John
robinhood66 is offline Find More Posts by robinhood66
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Just remember that any mount other than the stalk puts the GPS module into RF noise.
I know this has been discussed, but let's revisit it a minute. First off, what frequency is the RF noise. Is it 1.3 gHz? Whatever it is, what is it likely to effect? Does it mess up a 2.4 gHz receiver? Does it mess up a 5.8 mHz VTX?

Do you get more RF with the "GPS Protector" invented by on of the members of this thread? Or less?

If RFI/EMI is a problem does it help to put one of those clamp on "chokes"/RFI?EMI filters?

Anyone want to take a crack at these questions? Curious minds need to know. And retired people in cold climates where the sun is droppping below the trees at 12:38 have nothing else to do but dream up the questions. Did get in a couple flights this moring though, very nice, if a tad on the chilly side. Thanks.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder