SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:13 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
The Naza can't run the motors below that power setting. Your setup won't be efficient if it's almost hovering with the motors at slow idle anyway, so you have a fundamental problem and need to make some changes.
Agreed, you are grossly overpowered if your copter is taking off at the lowest idle setting. If you are having these sort of issues the most logical thing to do would be to simply add a 2nd 5S lipo. It should give you enough weight to keep you on the ground and also you'll see the benefits since your copter clearly has the power reserve to fly it.

If you don't want to try that you can recalibrate your ESCs with about 5-8 clicks of up trim on your throttle. That will tell your ESCs that the higher pulse from the Naza is actually a lower throttle setting in reality. So before 1150us pulse would essentially be 15% motor speed for example, where now calibrating with uptrim could make it 5% motor speed.

You'll lose throttle range but it might give you a slower rotation to not worry about take off.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, OK, Erick
Joined Aug 2011
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxedout View Post
This might raise some eyebrows, is there anyway of reducing the motor idle speed below the min setting in NAZA assistant ?. My DIY hex is trying to hover at the lowest idle setting which clearly isn't ideal. Is there some sneaky way of lowering the idle speed that someones come across ?
Yes, reducing the prop size will get around this vexing problem, but then I'm already running smaller props than optimal for the motor combo, dropping down to 4s batts from 5s will also help but again this will decrease the efficiency of the power system. A way of programming in a more controllable throttle curve to suit the power system is what I'm looking for if anyones got any suggestions.
Just read you post regarding idle speed. Have seen this quite often with old simonk firmware or an incorrect fw match to esc. To resolve this issue reflash escs to newest fw. Apropriate for esc. Make sure that you dont flash wrong fw or esc will be dammeged with a lipo plugged in. AlwYs test newly flashed esc with a 4.8 rx batt first.
Fwiw .......this has happened to me a few times and is not limited naza.. a simple lookup at the wiki rapidesc data base will show info regarding most common or like escs.
I bought a few newly flashed escs from ppl online and this happened. I simply found correct simonk fw file and reflashed and alls good. Theres a 99%chance this is the case. Pm me for more info and i would be willing to help you anytime .
Steve
crash8384 is online now Find More Posts by crash8384
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:37 PM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,128 Posts
Hello,

I am facing a rather strange problem with my Gimbal outputs. F1 output will not move the servo which is already passing through another gyro. (Ecilop style gimbal) If i connect it to port F2 it works ok. My reciever has 7 channels. first for are the basic A E T R the fith goes on the U 6 channel goes on X1 and 7 channel on X2. X3 port is occupied by the Naza Ubec.

Am I doing anything wrong here?
panos2408 is online now Find More Posts by panos2408
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:40 PM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
The Naza can't run the motors below that power setting. Your setup won't be efficient if it's almost hovering with the motors at slow idle anyway, so you have a fundamental problem and need to make some changes.
Yea, looks like I built it to light !
Maxedout is offline Find More Posts by Maxedout
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:45 PM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
You have not told us much about your set-up other than it's probably large because you're running 5S.
That being said, you're probably not running DJI ESCs.
Have you calibrated your ESCs?
I'm running Dualsky ESC's and have calibrated them, but maybe they aren't that compatible with the NAZA.
Thanks for the other suggestions folks, I'll give them a try and let you know what happens.

Jim
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:01 AM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Agreed, you are grossly overpowered if your copter is taking off at the lowest idle setting. If you are having these sort of issues the most logical thing to do would be to simply add a 2nd 5S lipo. It should give you enough weight to keep you on the ground and also you'll see the benefits since your copter clearly has the power reserve to fly it.

If you don't want to try that you can recalibrate your ESCs with about 5-8 clicks of up trim on your throttle. That will tell your ESCs that the higher pulse from the Naza is actually a lower throttle setting in reality. So before 1150us pulse would essentially be 15% motor speed for example, where now calibrating with uptrim could make it 5% motor speed.

You'll lose throttle range but it might give you a slower rotation to not worry about take off.
It's already got two 5s lipo's strapped to it & increasing the throttle trim just exacerbated the problem. Dropping down to 13' props from 15" didn't help so I strapped 2kgs of lead to it, that did the trick, but clearly not a suitable solution.
Re-flashing the ESC's with a suitable fw looks like what's needed.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:12 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,577 Posts
if i fly around in atti mode, with throttle lock on 50%, should it hold the same altitude?
or does this only work while hovering?

mine always seems to decend as i start going forward.
AliB is offline Find More Posts by AliB
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:44 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Try upping your Atti gains 10%. If it gets better go up more till it gets worse or makes other negative changes to the way it flies. If it gets worse the drop it 10% from its current numbers.

You should expect a little change esp when in prop wash. If you are getting a big change in altitude the put a piece of black elec tape on the side of the Naza. It's barometer is sensitive to light and this sometimes helps
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:18 PM
Westland Michigan.
Joined Jan 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokizo View Post
F1 and F2 its for 2-axis gimbal but it is possible to make some mixes and when you click switch that you have manual movement of your gimbal?? (that i control camera )

and question no 2

when i wanna set new home point do i need to switch few times fast from HOME LOCK to COURSE LOCK or
from HOME LOCK to OFF or COURSE LOCK to OFF
Regarding the Gimbal. I think this guy on YouTube has what your looking for because I'm looking for the same thing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IhxHZd-dhQs
mikemijal is offline Find More Posts by mikemijal
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:01 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxedout View Post
It's already got two 5s lipo's strapped to it & increasing the throttle trim just exacerbated the problem. Dropping down to 13' props from 15" didn't help so I strapped 2kgs of lead to it, that did the trick, but clearly not a suitable solution.
Re-flashing the ESC's with a suitable fw looks like what's needed.
Drop it to 4S. 5S is only more efficient if you are running in the sweet spot of the motor and the ESC as a system. Idle is not the sweet spot which is, as a rule of thumb, 40% - 50% of max current. So 4S will be far more efficient and controllable running where it is happy than 5S struggling to control near idle.

Pictures and specs would be cool!
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Naza - Strange behavior? Or not?

Been a while since I took out the Naza/Hex -so went to practice some FPV. Everything seemed okay, then the hex started acting very strange. Wasn't descending very quickly but started jerking around (around 2:40 in the video). Mode was GPS/Atti. Maybe need to lower roll a bit though not sure why it would have happened all of a sudden. ??

FPV with Naza and GoPro (4 min 16 sec)
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Clear Air Turbulence? Some conditions will allow this to "hang around" for a remarkably long time. I noticed that when you dropped below tree level it smoothed out.

Just a guess
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:35 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
I've had that happen.

One thing that seems to be comforting, is that it does not flip like the Wookong.

(I have personally witnessed a Wookong flip, and it is frightening)

The thing about this glitch, is that the copter can fight you, and you wonder if you will be able to get it back.

It only happens a very small percentage of the time, but it is enough to make you so that you cannot completely trust it.

The rest of the time it seems to be fine.

One thing that I started doing, and I noticed others are doing, is to plug it in, and get a good gps fix, and then unplug it, and do it again before flight.

That seems to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
Been a while since I took out the Naza/Hex -so went to practice some FPV. Everything seemed okay, then the hex started acting very strange. Wasn't descending very quickly but started jerking around (around 2:40 in the video). Mode was GPS/Atti. Maybe need to lower roll a bit though not sure why it would have happened all of a sudden. ??

http://youtu.be/3zbXTQTb_us
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I've had that happen.

One thing that seems to be comforting, is that it does not flip like the Wookong.

(I have personally witnessed a Wookong flip, and it is frightening)

The thing about this glitch, is that the copter can fight you, and you wonder if you will be able to get it back.

It only happens a very small percentage of the time, but it is enough to make you so that you cannot completely trust it.

The rest of the time it seems to be fine.

One thing that I started doing, and I noticed others are doing, is to plug it in, and get a good gps fix, and then unplug it, and do it again before flight.

That seems to help.
I have to admit that I did not have a full Sat Lock before taking off - still had one slow red. Lots of trees and hill side here that blocks full sat coverage. Maybe that causes this behavior. Though, it should have locked onto all sats way before the wobble happened (I would think)? In any case, I will try in an open field soon and try your plug, unplug and plug process and see if all is well. I must say, overall, I have really liked the Naza. Easy to setup and easy to fly and very stable (usually).
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:32 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
I have to admit that I did not have a full Sat Lock before taking off - still had one slow red. Lots of trees and hill side here that blocks full sat coverage. Maybe that causes this behavior. Though, it should have locked onto all sats way before the wobble happened (I would think)? In any case, I will try in an open field soon and try your plug, unplug and plug process and see if all is well. I must say, overall, I have really liked the Naza. Easy to setup and easy to fly and very stable (usually).
I often wonder about the hills and trees affect. My local field is in a "hole" with big hills all around and huge thick trees. I'd like to see some way to upgrade to a better antenna for Naza because the annoying thing for me now is Naza doesn't always get full lock but my Quadrino quad with the new Quadrino GPS typically gets at least 9 sats and very often 11 and very quickly. I've tried dis-abling the Vtx and camera and left the GoPro turned off to see if that helps but it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

Anyone heard of an antenna upgrade for Naza?
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing