HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I had a recent crash due to a switch in the wrong position/stupid mistake while flying FPV and hit a tree and fell to the ground. The GPS protector broke off at it's base but it may very well have saved my GPS. I epoxied the stem to the base and all is good. Great product and small investment to protect an expensive part. Thanks for making it. I have one on both of my multicopters!
Thats great!!!!
lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, WV, Harrison
Joined Jul 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I had a recent crash due to a switch in the wrong position/stupid mistake while flying FPV and hit a tree and fell to the ground. The GPS protector broke off at it's base but it may very well have saved my GPS. I epoxied the stem to the base and all is good. Great product and small investment to protect an expensive part. Thanks for making it. I have one on both of my multicopters!
Keep in mind I replace either part for $5.00...
wdelarme is offline Find More Posts by wdelarme
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,490 Posts
Go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Question-
Is there any reason the GPS antenna can't be replaced? I've done this with my Osd and now get a full sat lock in under 30 seconds inside my shop

Surely someone has tried this before?

Here is the component I used on my Osd:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8975?
I've seen these go as low as $24 which is a lot less than a new Dji unit.

Enquiring minds want to know!
If it will fit.
I don't see why not.
It's probably surface mount soldering if you are proficient in that skill...

After checking farther, I agree with wdelarme & ehx. Way too complicated & it's a crapshoot if it will work when you've gotten it connected. And you still have to get the old one loose from the conformal coating...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
Lt Col, USAF
United States, IL, Swansea
Joined Jan 2010
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdelarme View Post
Keep in mind I replace either part for $5.00...
Just purchased 2 of them from you! Thanks.
kc10kevin is online now Find More Posts by kc10kevin
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
340 Posts
Naza wont start.

Hi fellas , been flying fine since I put the Naza on my Qaud but found a problem on the r/x so cleared the model to reset for another r/x which would not talk to the Naza so fixed the problem on the original r/x and put it back on but now the Naza wont have that either!! I did all the Binding and the r/x seems to be fine if I put a Servo directly on a chanel but otherwise Nada!.

I'v treid the assistant but it says there is a fault on the T/x???

Any ideas? please.
Cheers MIKE.
micarus is offline Find More Posts by micarus
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, WV, Harrison
Joined Jul 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
If it will fit.
I don't see why not.
It's probably surface mount soldering if you are proficient in that skill...
I looked into getting mine fixed...The original one is epoxied in place so it cannot be removed. I'm not an EE so I asked one and he said no way buy a new one
wdelarme is offline Find More Posts by wdelarme
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:41 PM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Question-
Is there any reason the GPS antenna can't be replaced? I've done this with my Osd and now get a full sat lock in under 30 seconds inside my shop

Surely someone has tried this before?

Here is the component I used on my Osd:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8975?
I've seen these go as low as $24 which is a lot less than a new Dji unit.

Enquiring minds want to know!
If you truly mean just the antenna, it's possible, but way beyond most hobbyist's abilities. You would have to find the same or a very similar OEM antenna. A different antenna might not "play well" with the compass in addition to perhaps not being an ideal match to the receiver.

The Sparkfun product referenced is a full GPS receiver, not just the antenna. Even if you could find the same OEM GPS receiver DJI uses, DJI is likely to have a proprietary firmware.

In short, the answer is no. But this is just an educated guess as I haven't took one apart - yet.
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:54 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, The Hague
Joined Mar 2012
150 Posts
gps antena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakis21 View Post
I open it there is something like crack...

i think after the frame, the gimbal, the len and the display of the GoPro2 also the gps maybe went faulty ....

I dont know if this can replace!! the pic look like similar with dji naza gps

GPS Ceramic Internal Antenna 20 x 20 x 7mm

- Dielectric Antenna
- Center Frequency:1575.42 MHz±3 MHz
- V.S.W.R:1.5:1
- Bandwidth:±5 MHz
- Impedance:50 ohm
- Polarization Type:R.H.C.P

- LNA/Filter
- LNA Gain(w/o cable):28 dB Typical
- Noise Figure:1.5 dB
- DC Voltage:2.2~5 V
- DC Current:5~15 mA

- Mechanical
- Size:20*20*7mm
- Mounting:Internal
- Cable Length:40mm
- Connector:IPEX Connector
- Weight:9.6g

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/gps-ceram...20x20x7mm.html

cheers

Indra
indra9110 is offline Find More Posts by indra9110
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:47 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,490 Posts
Recheck this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by micarus View Post
Hi fellas , been flying fine since I put the Naza on my Qaud but found a problem on the r/x so cleared the model to reset for another r/x which would not talk to the Naza so fixed the problem on the original r/x and put it back on but now the Naza wont have that either!! I did all the Binding and the r/x seems to be fine if I put a Servo directly on a chanel but otherwise Nada!.

I'v treid the assistant but it says there is a fault on the T/x???

Any ideas? please.
Cheers MIKE.
What type receiver do you have selected? Traditional vs. Sbus
What brand receiver are you using? Some are quirky
Are you sure of the channel assignments? Not all brands are the same
Are your three wire plugs oriented correctly? DJI jumpers are tabbed, but you may have had to modify or change the ones going into your receiver
Are your plugs pushed in all the way on Naza and your receiver? They are a tight fit sometimes
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 20, 2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Thought of more...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
I dont know if this can replace!! the pic look like similar with dji naza gps
Wow, it has the same number even. Very interesting. Am I reading correctly that it costs about $5???

How does the the compass business work in the DJI GPS? Is it just part of the GPS antenna or is it in the Naza?

Definitely worth investigating. The DJI GPS is crazy expensive compared to any other GPS. I have a Tiny OSD with GPS on my quad. The whole OSD with current sensor and GPS costs $107. This little GPS locks on much quicker than the DJI GPS and often gets an extra satellite.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,477 Posts
The Naza GPS is a combined GPS/Compass unit.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Does anyone have any experience or instructions on setting up the F450 Naza FC and GPS with a DEVO 10 TX and RX1002 2.4Ghz 10ch? The reason I am asking is because I'd like to know if they are experiencing any unique problems or is there anything I should know before I began to calibrate. Thanks in advance!
Malinois1 is offline Find More Posts by Malinois1
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Sep 2011
38 Posts
Hi guys, was looking for some expertise on how the Naza's failsafe is supposed to work. I've been using the Naza w/ GPS since it's realease without any problems, but I've noticed something strange when the Naza kicks into failsafe from a loss-of-signal. The Naza will temporarily switch to failsafe until the receiver regains signal again and then I will suddenly have control of the quad without flipping the mode switch. If I turn the transmitter off and then on again, I have to flip the mode switch to regain control.

This issue can be pretty scary when flying in manual mode, lose signal, then unexpectedly have control again without warning. I was wondering why the Naza reacts differently from a temporary loss-of-signal than when I turn the transmitter off? I have an Aurora 9 radio w/ an Optima 9 receiver. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
MidwestRob is offline Find More Posts by MidwestRob
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:52 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,120 Posts
Rob, I have never has a loss of signal so I cannot comment. How did you. Way far out or ???
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Rob, I have never has a loss of signal so I cannot comment. How did you. Way far out or ???
I've had it happen a few times over the last several months. It has only happened while flying FPV. The failsafes are usually caused by harmonic interference with my video transmitter and radio receiver. Once it happened when I flew behind a row of trees that blocked my signal while flying FPV.

The Naza will go into autopilot, then suddenly give control back over to the radio when it has signal again. It doesn't do the same thing when I turn the radio transmitter off and then on again. I have no clue why it acts differently because both situations are essentially a loss-of-signal failsafe.
MidwestRob is offline Find More Posts by MidwestRob
Last edited by MidwestRob; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:26 AM.