Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:29 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUAD4EVER View Post
Regarding the metal duct tape (Reflectix Insulation tape) -

It doesn't block radio signal.

I had the same idea of using the metal tape. But, I performed a simple test first. I wrapped my cell phone with a layer of cooking aluminuim foil and tried to call my phone. The phone started ringing. Tried two layers of cooking aluminuim foil and the phone could not recieve a signal when I tried to call the phone.

Next, wrapped the phone with a single layer of the metal duct tape. Call the phone and it ringed. Crap. The metal duct tape is a lot thicker than the cooking aluminuim foil. I would estimate that the metal duct tape is the same thickness as three layers of cooking aluminuim foil.

Tried a double wrap of the metal duct tape. This is approx same thickness as 6 layers of cooking aluminuim foil (I estimate). The phone ringed. So, I decided that the metal duct tape is a FAIL for interefernce protection.
Awesome test, thanks
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Zeta FX-61 Phantom FPV Wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,089 Posts
What about adhesive copper foil tape?

Allot of music shops sell it so you can shield the back of guitar pickups makes for a cleamer sound.

i bought some from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

im sure copper would work better than aluminium foil

Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Westland Michigan.
Joined Jan 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitez View Post
just make a shield out of aluminum foil and duct tape. my gps is about 2" away from the gopro and i get full lock. you can see the tray the gopro goes on right in front of the rubber bands.

i also have all the gps mounting on velcro per another persons suggestion and it works fine. i can easily adjust to get rid of toilet bowl
I was curious if the GPS was any more or less sensitive to the GoPro 3 than the GoPro 2? Or are they about the same.
mikemijal is offline Find More Posts by mikemijal
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Seemed about the same, each would cause loss of GPS signal when in close proximity to the antenna
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QAV400, 6,300' distance flight
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
73 Posts
Testing out the new green vibration pad from vibrationmounts.com. I went from horrible jello-filled 1080p using earplugs to crystal clear 1080p using the green vibration dampening pad. These things are expensive but worth every penny (especially if you have a friend that is willing to split the cost with you).

FPV - At the Park / TBS Discovery (3 min 0 sec)
labcopilot is offline Find More Posts by labcopilot
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
I've had success with fairly inexpensive dubro foam rubber from the LHS. Here's some of my footage from over the weekend.

New Park Adventures (3 min 30 sec)
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
I've had success with fairly inexpensive dubro foam rubber from the LHS. Here's some of my footage from over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iFw...e_gdata_player
Looks good. And a hell of a lot cheaper than the green vibration pad. May have to pick some of that up for the frakenquad I'm going to build this winter.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:55 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcopilot View Post
Testing out the new green vibration pad from vibrationmounts.com. I went from horrible jello-filled 1080p using earplugs to crystal clear 1080p using the green vibration dampening pad. These things are expensive but worth every penny (especially if you have a friend that is willing to split the cost with you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PixAwTktptc
Do you mean this one? You weren't kidding about the cost but the video looks great. I've had pretty good luck using the foam earplug method... it's not perfect but it drastically reduces the vibration.

**edit** I've also tried Moon Gel but didn't have much luck with it.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mike_Then; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added Moon Gel
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Do you mean this one? You weren't kidding about the cost but the video looks great. I've had pretty good luck using the foam earplug method... it's not perfect but it drastically reduces the vibration.
Actually , this is the one I use. The web page shows a blue one but the bottom of the page gives you different options. The green one is supposedly tuned to the types of vibrations produced by motors in the 900 kv range. $90 is steep though. The pad is big enough for 2 gopro cameras though so you could split the cost with a friend.

http://www.vibrationmounts.com/RFQ/VM08009.htm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Hello,
does anybody now if there is replacement part, the top cover of the Naza GPS. After a serius crash , by a mistake I did, Destroyed many things in my f550. The top cover is Scratched ... and I like to change it... if anybody knows something let me know!

Regards to everyone
lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakis21 View Post
Hello,
does anybody now if there is replacement part, the top cover of the Naza GPS. After a serius crash , by a mistake I did, Destroyed many things in my f550. The top cover is Scratched ... and I like to change it... if anybody knows something let me know!

Regards to everyone
If it still works, sand the scratches and paint it. I do not think you will be able to find a replacement unless someone has one that is dead.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:34 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
If it still works, sand the scratches and paint it. I do not think you will be able to find a replacement unless someone has one that is dead.
I was going to say... the scratch shouldn't affect the operation, correct? If it works, the scratch is cosmetic. But if that's not good enough, then yeah, sand it down and paint it. I'm not aware of just the cover for the puck being available for purchase.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
Battle Scars

As long as they don't look like my cat chewed them, I like to leave my dents, dings, scratches as is.
The airframe looks like it's well broken in, and not babied.
The white finish on My GPS has the black plastic showing through in a couple of spots.
A nice, shiny, new looking rig is nice, but it won't stay that way long if you plan to fly it.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:55 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
251 Posts
Ok I have a question, if I connect ony naza + gps + receiver, without out any esc on the naza, and I go out. If I will open it on gps mode, can it lock the satellites and light green? because I see 3 reds one Green...
Is there anyway to check the gps module if it is ok with out frame?
lakis21 is offline Find More Posts by lakis21
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
5,000 Posts
GPS Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakis21 View Post
Ok I have a question, if I connect ony naza + gps + receiver, without out any esc on the naza, and I go out. If I will open it on gps mode, can it lock the satellites and light green? because I see 3 reds one Green...
Is there anyway to check the gps module if it is ok with out frame?
Based on testing I recently did trying to debug a new Naza (which turned out to be bad), I'd say you're fine testing without ESCs connected.
You're getting communication since you see 3 reds & 1 green LED flash.
I'd try another location to test GPS.
Remember that you pretty much need open sky above and around your test site.
Finding GPS satellites won't happen if conditions are marginal.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor