HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:24 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewert View Post
My buddies and I have had excellent results with these props. In manual mode they have stood up to loops and allot of hard quick turns. Just coming into winter months and flying cold, I would use caution with any lightweight slowfly type props. However, I think these carbon gemfans are stronger than the APC and should work fine for just hovering around, but use your own judgement.
After moving to San Antonio 9 years ago the really cold weather is gone and flying is year round. Never know when the building season is though! I use to fly the LMH helis up north and they only time you would break a blade is in the winter!
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:46 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,531 Posts
Props & Arms

I still like APC, but it doesn't get that cold here either.
I have APC SF and Gemfam Car SF to test on the F550 when I get it flying.
I'll try to report.
I don't think I'd remove any material from the stock DJI arms.
They've already been lightened by the use of webs vs. solid construction.
Way back when this Flamewheel stuff first came out, there were several posters who did not like the amount of flex present in the arms. Quad Addict (suspended now) was one of them and his reviews are still on page one of the FC thread.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,223 Posts
Unfortunately he fabricated his results and no one was able to replicate them unless they loosened the screws on the plate. Can you flex them, sure. But I can flex the AL arms of my MK hexa. The Flamewheel frames fly great and take a lot of abuse.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Name: 20121117_123640.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 158.2 KB
Description:

Name: 20121117_123736.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 181.1 KB
Description:

I had the "great" idea of mounting my $25 value hobby gimbal on top so I didn't have to worry about the extra cost but more importantly weight of LG. For test flight purposes I ziptied a lipo where the camera would sit to duplicate the weight of a gopro hero3 (which I haven't bought yet). The stock dji f550 with 8" dji props flew flawlessly with this setup. The gimbal also operated great. I lost about 2 minutes flight time on my 4S 3300 lipo due to the extra weight which is acceptable.

I threw on a chinese hd dvr that I had laying around to see what kind of video I was going to get from my super expensive gimbal. The problem I encountered was interference with the gps. I was afraid of it the whole time and sure enough, no gps lock whatsoever. I am afraid my "great" idea is only going to be great in manual or attitude mode which sucks.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the gopro will cause the same interference issues mounted in this position above the gps satellite? Any ideas on moving or repositioning the gps elsewhere?

I got a little too close to the house while flying which is why I am missing some props in the pics. This leads to my last question. Is there a good set of 9X4.7 props that fit the large dji shaft without drilling? I just snapped a gemfan while trying to drill it out and of course I only ordered 3 pair
brent278 is offline Find More Posts by brent278
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
593 Posts
it is a known issue that the gopro hero 2 and 3 will cause loss of signal on the naza gps if it is to close. you can either move them far apart or use shielding on the gps and or gopro.

i was using simple aluminum foil and duct tape shield on my hero3 and it worked great and i have also added the naza shield sold by wdelarme

just did a test with no shield on the gopro and even with wdelarme's shield i would still loose signal with my placement. throw the shield back on and i get fast full lock

see my blog posts and photos here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=337366
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:28 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,223 Posts
The GoPro has known issues with interference on the GPS. You are putting right in front of the GPs and you will have problems. You can shield the GoPro but being so close, I am not sure that even that will help. The other issue that I see is having so much mass above the COG. It may cause issues with the flight characteristics.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
The GoPro has known issues with interference on the GPS. You are putting right in front of the GPs and you will have problems. You can shield the GoPro but being so close, I am not sure that even that will help. The other issue that I see is having so much mass above the COG. It may cause issues with the flight characteristics.
I did have worries of being top heavy but I have about 8 flights with this setup which included a lipo battery being secured where the gopro will sit to duplicate the additional weight. The flight characteristics did not change much at all surprisingly. Interference is going to be the only problem with setup and I'm afraid I wont be able to overcome it.

The only thought I have is to move the gps 1 arm to the right but this will put it directly to the right of the naza. I'm not sure if that is even allowed I could also lose the stalk along with moving it to the right, then place the gopro towards the left side of the gimbal tray. This will create a significant distance between the two but of course the gopro will still be higher than the gps. This is alot of work considering I epoxied my stalk.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
593 Posts
just make a shield out of aluminum foil and duct tape. my gps is about 2" away from the gopro and i get full lock. you can see the tray the gopro goes on right in front of the rubber bands.

i also have all the gps mounting on velcro per another persons suggestion and it works fine. i can easily adjust to get rid of toilet bowl
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitez View Post
just make a shield out of aluminum foil and duct tape. my gps is about 2" away from the gopro and i get full lock. you can see the tray the gopro goes on right in front of the rubber bands.

i also have all the gps mounting on velcro per another persons suggestion and it works fine. i can easily adjust to get rid of toilet bowl
I will try this and post results and hopefully video!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
593 Posts
naza gps with gps interference gopro (0 min 28 sec)

NAZA GPS Interference from GoPro2 (3 min 40 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
15 Posts
Interesting that even on the opposite end you still had interference. I will not have the distance you had and even worse my gopro will be higher than the gps. I am going to buy the shielded protector from wdelarme regardless because I like the protection for crashes. I'm just afraid that even with a foil shield on the gopro and the gps shield, I'll still have interference since the gopro is higher. We'll see i guess.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,237 Posts
Good discussions on the interference bit!

There is another useful shielding material to try as well, Reflectix Insulation tape. You can get it at Big Box hardware stores or anywhere that sells foam panel insulation. Basically its like heavy tin foil with an adhesive backing. I buy the two inch (50mm) roll. See pic below.

Also, I see in the picts that the ESC's are close to the center and near the GPS antenna. This is fine but keep in mind, the ESC and its wiring are very large sources of electrical noise and interference. There are many threads here on RCG and elswhere which give advice on twisting and or braiding all ESC wires as well as using ferrite cores. Some even claim "Serious" FPV pilots always braid even the servo wires! (I'm not that "Serious").
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
593 Posts
Thanks for braid tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
Good discussions on the interference bit!

There is another useful shielding material to try as well, Reflectix Insulation tape. You can get it at Big Box hardware stores or anywhere that sells foam panel insulation. Basically its like heavy tin foil with an adhesive backing. I buy the two inch (50mm) roll. See pic below.

Also, I see in the picts that the ESC's are close to the center and near the GPS antenna. This is fine but keep in mind, the ESC and its wiring are very large sources of electrical noise and interference. There are many threads here on RCG and elswhere which give advice on twisting and or braiding all ESC wires as well as using ferrite cores. Some even claim "Serious" FPV pilots always braid even the servo wires! (I'm not that "Serious").
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,531 Posts
Some Brief Answers & Comments

@ TahoeEd: I see now why Quad Addict is banned. I also have never experienced as much flex as he demonstrated. Like you said, a little flex is good...

@brent278: APC 9x4.7 are my choice, but some would rather use Gemfan Carbon-filled. Or you can move to Graupner$, but they are not SF props. It ends up being a personal preference thing. To open prop bores, get a prop reamer. Using a drill bit to enlarge a hole is very inaccurate and irregular. Looks like it can cause breakage as well...

@ You two and yosemitez: My gimbal and GoPro are underslung beneath the bottom plate. I've experienced no GPS interference. FWIW GPS antennas really prefer open sky above them. If there's anything casting a shadow on it (as an example because light's not an issue here) there's probably interference too. Try to get a lock indoors or under heavy foliage/limbs of trees...

@marc_q: My GPS module is on a piece of copper clad PCB from RadioShak. Several say this is ineffective, but then so should be your metallic tape. RadioShak also has some nice, inexpensive ferrite chokes that can be clamped around your GPS wire...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2012
230 Posts
Regarding the metal duct tape (Reflectix Insulation tape) -

It doesn't block radio signal.

I had the same idea of using the metal tape. But, I performed a simple test first. I wrapped my cell phone with a layer of cooking aluminuim foil and tried to call my phone. The phone started ringing. Tried two layers of cooking aluminuim foil and the phone could not recieve a signal when I tried to call the phone.

Next, wrapped the phone with a single layer of the metal duct tape. Call the phone and it ringed. Crap. The metal duct tape is a lot thicker than the cooking aluminuim foil. I would estimate that the metal duct tape is the same thickness as three layers of cooking aluminuim foil.

Tried a double wrap of the metal duct tape. This is approx same thickness as 6 layers of cooking aluminuim foil (I estimate). The phone ringed. So, I decided that the metal duct tape is a FAIL for interefernce protection.
QUAD4EVER is offline Find More Posts by QUAD4EVER