HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:22 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Ralf, would you mind posting a picture or two of your quad (in the avatar). Bit OT, but hey, there's a Naza controller on it. Seem like an interesting folding pattern.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:22 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I've only had one car as my daily driver with ABS in my entire life (wife always gets ABS). I know what to do when something like that comes up and have avoided a few crashes in my day (drive in Houston for a day and you'll know). I know to never smash the brakes but then again I also know to follow at a safe distance. Tech is used to make up for stupidity way too much these days.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:37 AM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Ralf, would you mind posting a picture or two of your quad (in the avatar). Bit OT, but hey, there's a Naza controller on it. Seem like an interesting folding pattern.
No problem - here they are..
The picture in the avatar was taken just to demonstrate that this frame is foldable - it looks a little bit different by now. It's a modified 'Quadrixette 40' frame by eyefly.info - I modified it in a way that it folds close to DinA4-size. It folds in a way that the front arms first are turned to the back and then the back arms are turned towards the front. Of course you have to unscrew some screws and it won't be done in a minute, but to take it with you in a rucksack or a small box during a trip by bike or car, it's easy enough to be done. And btw, It's a fantastic flyer also for FPV with or without a GoPro. Eyefly now has developed a new frame - called Goliath which is also foldable (maybe because of me asking for it ;-) ) . Have a look at it, if you are interested - the frames are expensive, but it's great craftsmanship and worth ever penny. (AND - no, I'm not a member of eyefly and I won't get anything for this 'advertisement :-) :-) )
ralfrcgroups is offline Find More Posts by ralfrcgroups
Last edited by ralfrcgroups; Nov 16, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:50 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,640 Posts
To Failsafe, Or Not To Failsafe?

Looks like you guys aired out the failsafe stuff last night.
I'm kind of glad that I went to bed and missed it.
FWIW, the only thing that's changed is the names of the posters.
I respect anyone's wish to test/demonstrate/play with failsafe.
And, you should feel confident that it works.
Naza is usually simple application of complex hardware/software.
It's great!
But understand, there's a lot more to complex than most of us realize.
There are hundreds of variables and things that can go wrong with no redundancy.
We fly at our own risk with anything RC...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: BMPCC/Z15 Transport
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,640 Posts
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Funny you say that. I read close to 100 forum pages about APM board and was about to buy one last year around Xmas time. That's when I hear the Naza. And I held my purchase for the APM. Those guys at Ardupilot forum did (and still are doing) a great job. I admire their willingness to work and help others, but I couldn't see myself going through all that hassle and tinkering with PIDs etc.
Naza didn't come with GPS first, but I knew that DJI would eventually release the GPS addition. So I waited. I am glad I did
You are more optimistic than me about Naza. Look at you; how many incidents yuo went through and still flying it. If I see a glitch on mine one day, I wonder what I will do.
I thought about it many times, and I think I can take anything as long as it is NOT a fly-away. That's the only thing I cannot handle!.. (But is it up to me?..)
Knock on wood; so far so good

BTW, yes I like this RCG very much. My favorite forum obviously...
Golf does not hold a candle to RC flying when it comes to teaching patience.
I've done both, and RC gets my endorsement.
We all complain and rant when something goes wrong, but you'll see us crawling back almost every time.
I think the only ones who try it and leave it are the ones that never manage to experience that first, exhilarating solo flight. Then, you're hooked...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyWavey View Post
Really Mark? This is based on what? Not the Naza Manual forsure!
Firstly every multicopter on the planet is flying under total control of the flight controlller. The pilot is merely politely ask the quad to move in X direction, climb and/or decent.if that controller wants to hold your copter at 45 degrees and fly off it can happen at any time.

Secondly, RTH is basically a one waypoint mission. Is DJI waypoints (ok Wookong not Naza but hear me out) for emergency use only? Of course not. Hell even position hold is computationally the same as RTH, it's juat that "home" is where you're at. Is position hold for emergency use only? I think most would say no. Then you have the chances of pilot error versus code/gps error (variable at best)....

With respect, you don't seem to know enough about computingor real-world objective risk assessment to be making such bold sweeping claims.
Based on...
I am a 58 year old Design Engineering Director in a fortune 500 Industrial equipment company. I have spent years working on control system (analog and digital) safety and root cause analysis to mitigate unintended motion issues that arise even in the most sophisticated and critically sourced components. Believe me when I tell you I have seen the worst that can happen when a control system does not perform as designed. I think I am more qualified than most to speak to control system safety concerns.

My point was/is about shutting off the transmitter and thus removing all direct control as a means to fly home. I think I was fairly respectful in my write up but obviously not clear enough.
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mark_q; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:32 AM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,900 Posts
Which radio?

I am thinking of replacing my Eclipse 7 with a different radio for my new DJI 550. I am wondering which radio seems to be working well with fairly user friendly programming? I looked at a futaba 8fg and can't say I like their programming. I have used most brands over the years. Thanks for the suggestions.
skypup is online now Find More Posts by skypup
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,640 Posts
Use Your Personal Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypup View Post
I am thinking of replacing my Eclipse 7 with a different radio for my new DJI 550. I am wondering which radio seems to be working well with fairly user friendly programming? I looked at a futaba 8fg and can't say I like their programming. I have used most brands over the years. Thanks for the suggestions.
Since you've been flying Hitec, what about the Eclipse 7 makes you want to leave Hitec for Futaba?
I don't recall any of the "namebrand" transmitters with 7+ channels not working with Naza.
If you go to your LHS, you'll most likely get to see Futaba & JR/Spektrum in person...
Make the salesperson demonstrate the programming (if he can... ).
Transmitters are really personal preference things.
They're all pretty good.
Don't trust one of us to decide for you...

I just thought of one criteria that you might look for.
2 3pos switches are nice.
You'll have one for FM and one for IOC...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added switch comment
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,890 Posts
Quote:
I love my older Eclipse 7.
Here at the shop we are building a bunch of thee every month and are mostly equipping them with the Spektrum DX8 and AR8000 or the Futaba 8FG and Dbus.
Very easy set up with both systems.
Cliff
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Since you've been flying Hitec, what about the Eclipse 7 makes you want to leave Hitec for Futaba?
I don't recall any of the "namebrand" transmitters with 7+ channels not working with Naza.
If you go to your LHS, you'll most likely get to see Futaba & JR/Spektrum in person...
Make the salesperson demonstrate the programming (if he can... ).
Transmitters are really personal preference things.
They're all pretty good.
Don't trust one of us to decide for you...

I just thought of one criteria that you might look for.
2 3pos switches are nice.
You'll have one for FM and one for IOC...
I will use the eclipse 7 if possible but need to understand the programming with gps a little more. I'd like to fly in ATT with ATT plus gps and RTH. Can I do this with my Eclipse 7....it is on 2.4 ghz.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,640 Posts
Mmmmm...Probably

Quote:
I will use the eclipse 7 if possible but need to understand the programming with gps a little more. I'd like to fly in ATT with ATT plus gps and RTH. Can I do this with my Eclipse 7....it is on 2.4 ghz.
Remember what I said? Transmitters are a personal thing. I'm a JR/Spektrum guy.
I've only seen one Hitec transmitter in my 62 years.
I think anything with 7Ch should provide what you want.
And Hitec's hype is their versatility.
Come on, Hitec Pilots, give the guy a hand!

BTW, Hitec servos are the only brand I use for that component...
I really like their Karbonite gears!
My gimbal servos are HS-485HB's.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Comments...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Remember what I said? Transmitters are a personal thing. I'm a JR/Spektrum guy.
I've only seen one Hitec transmitter in my 62 years.
I think anything with 7Ch should provide what you want.
And Hitec's hype is their versatility.
Come on, Hitec Pilots, give the guy a hand!

BTW, Hitec servos are the only brand I use for that component...
I really like their Karbonite gears!
After brown outs with spektrum and expensive heli crashes I got away from them. I have used Futaba in the past but have stayed with my Eclipse 7 starting on 72 MHZ and converting it to 2.4 ghz. It has been reliable for years. Hitec tech didn't think I could use the 3 way switch for what I need for a quad. It isn't flexible enough. I'm just not sure yet. I hate to buy another radio and go through the learning curve on a new machine.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,640 Posts
Flexibility of 3pos Switch

@skypup...
If it's an endpoint/midpoint adjustment thing, TahoeEd talks about setting the midpoint with subtrim and adjusting endpoints from there. Does that ring a bell?
I personally don't have to do it.
As for me, I "trick" my JR9303H into giving me 4 FM's by using heli programming.
The pitch curves determine the U channel, and TH is Failsafe.
It's been talked about some here lately. Check my blog for an explanation...
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,900 Posts
Quote:
@skypup...
If it's an endpoint/midpoint adjustment thing, TahoeEd talks about setting the midpoint with subtrim and adjusting endpoints from there. Does that ring a bell?
As for me, I "trick" my JR9303H into giving me 4 FM's by using heli programming.
Thanks. So it IS ok to set up in heli mod vs acro (airplane mode)? I thought that all trims needed to be set to 0 and everything programmed by the CU?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:40 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,900 Posts
Quote:
@skypup...
Thanks for your help. I just read your blog entry concerning this and printed it. I thought of this approach but after talking with the tech yesterday I thought I couldn't use it. I will explore this route. Thanks again!