HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,672 Posts
With the Naza, if you are flying, i.e., the throttle is above 10% and hit a switch to force failsafe you will be fine regardless of the capabilities of your receiver. However, if you loose signal and your receiver does not support preset failsafe on all channels, your craft is going down. The best way to check is to connect to Assistant and turn the transmitter off. If the mode goes to failsafe, the other sticks are centered and the throttle is above 10% you are also ok. If the throttle goes to 0 and the sticks are not centered, try this while deflecting one of the sticks. Most receivers that do not support preset failsafe will hold the last stick position, then you have a problem.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
He's watching you guys playing with his weapons...
Better beware!
RTH is not a flying feature.
It is an emergency feature.
We've all warned you.
And I'm pulling out my old friend...
Wow, you guys are killing my confidence in the GPS "emergency" feature. What kind of emergency feature is that? Can you imagine buyng a life jacket that not only may or not float when you need it, but may also randomly drag you to the bottom of the ocean. Wouldn't it be safer to just use the rx failsafe and let the quad drop rather than risk it flying away uncontrolled? I'm seriously considering disabling the RTH.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I'd say most of the fly always are from user error or a setup problem. It's rare that something goes wrong but when it does you hear about it constantly. People don't post when it works flawlessly, only when something went wrong.

That being said I have NEVER tested mine. I have set it up to the best of my ability and triple checked everything. Hopefully I never have to see that I did it right. If I put it in the air I put it on the ground.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:13 PM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,561 Posts
tested mine today. pretty scary. went up,,, stopped, turned round very quickly then came back to me quicker than i expected.

tadaaa. ha. glad it worked.
AliB is online now Find More Posts by AliB
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
IPeople don't post when it works flawlessly.
This is my post, "it works flawlessly!"

Thank you
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,936 Posts
Eclipse 7

I'm looking for help setting up my new 550 with gps using a hitec eclipse 7 radio. If anyone has experience with the eclipse 7 and can help I would appreciate it.
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:53 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
All this talk about failsafe prompted me to test both my quad and hex on Assistant. I knew that I had set up failsafe properly, except I wasn't sure I had set the throttle. Turns out on the quad I did, but on the hex I didn't. Fixed that. Now when I turn off the transmitter the throttle moves to near mid throttle on Assistant. I am glad this topic came up and glad I checked. I am very careful about making sure I have a good GPS lock before I take off. If I don't have one, I don't do any FPV flights and only fly close visually, and stay close. I've made it a "rule" for myself. I am also careful to postion "home" a decent distance from obstacles.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:01 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
One comment: Home lock work beautifully as well, so before you test RTH, try it. It does give you the confidence to flip that RTH switch. When you see "home lock" bringing the airplane back to you while spinning or in any orientation, you know that direction won't be a problem anymore and it can easily find "home". Everything else is simply how well you did setup your failsafe so there's some throttle available when you go RTH. (and sure enough, that can AND SHOULD be tested with the assistant first!)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
The above link talks about using the "Idle Up" switch for FM and the "Throttle Hold" switch for Failsafe.
That's your standard Naza programmed in heli mode configuration.
I've been flying Naza that way since I started (almost a year).
BTW it works great!
How to is at my blog...
I knew this was discussed before, but I wanted to share the link once again here. Because this thread became a maze with few thousands of posts. If someone is looking for something here, I would wish him a good luck.
I followed the steps provided in the link I posted because my Rx (R617FS) wasn't giving me a presetable failsafe for channels other than throttle. In other words, it was impossible for me to set up RTH in case of a loss of radio link. I didn't care about using idle up switches or throttle hold function for the RTH in other words standard heli programming.
Even now, if I had an Rx that gives me programmable failsafe for all channels, I would go back to standard wiring where I plug Naza throttle into throttle channel in the Rx and Naza u-channel into any open channel that can be programmed to 3-way switch. I like it better this way.
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:44 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,844 Posts
A Vast Wilderness

From iskoos: "Because this thread became a maze with few thousands of posts. If someone is looking for something here, I would wish him a good luck."

I know it's bad. I've been here as it grew and did my part to make it worse.
The Manual is still pretty good if you take the time to understand it.
I have to respect the fact that there seems to be no erroneous information in the manual.
The Gouge is also a very good resource.
The links at the beginning of the threads help.
I personally frequent these three areas before I start through the threads.
Don't forget that the threads are full of opinions, and not necessarily facts.
I have tried to post things that I've said which I thought were worth keeping on my blog.
And I try really hard to substantiate the things that I post about. I'll warn you that my opinions ARE on my blog...
I've edited my blog post titles to make it easier to navigate.
Several pages back, my friend, u2builder, summed up why the threads are so long. It's at my blog too, so I won't rehash it.
FWIW, 95% of the information you'll need is less than a hundred pages back because the subject matter recycles as new posters join us.
There are a few really astute posters that have come and gone. It's unfortunate that they don't continue (testfly is one that comes to my mind. Go back and find his posts)

I still prefer these RCG threads over some like Multirotor Forum. You actually see a lot of posts there that send posters over here for better answers...

I hope you enjoy the RCG experience...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 15, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:03 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
447 Posts
I have heard of quite a few issue with RTH not working properly. I have personally tried it 4 times. 2 times on F450 and 2 times on F550. It worked flawlessly every time. I never turned off the Rx (No reason to take that risk), and I only tried to regain the control once. When I was trying to regain, I just turned the F/S switch and tried to control the quad, it didn't respond. I remember my heart-rate skyrocketing. It didn't respond because I forgot to toggle the flight-mode switch between GPS and Atti. As soon as I did that, I had the control. I never tried to interfere with the RTH process after that.
I don't use the RTH anymore because as some mentioned here it is not designed as a flight-mode. It is good to know that there is one more chance if something goes wrong. Other than that, we really should not play with it other than testing it on the assistant software.
I have been using Naza/GPS since May. I never had any issue (except that autoland wasn't functioning well in the beginning but then it started working well once I raised the platform). All of the functions worked as advertised.
With all being said, would I trust Naza?
The answer is Really not much. Every time I take off, I say this in my head "Will this come back in one piece?"
But there isn't anything better at the same price level currently. Funny thing is that their more expensive (Pro version. They say. How ironic is that?) is lot worse than Naza. It is like being screwed double: Pay twice as much and buy headaches... I was about to buy the WKM. Thank God, I did NOT!.. Thank God...
Anyways, Naza it is now. If something better comes up one day at a comparable price range, I won't ever think twice...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,844 Posts
@iskoos

AAhh SSooo!
Naza train you well, Grasshopper...

Before GPS came along, I'll bet I played Autoland about twenty times...

I think I've tried RTH less than 5 times.
One was in June, and I (like most of us) was not aware of the switch steps to disengage Failsafe. FWIW it was in the Manual ( I just went back and checked).
TBE, which also contributed, was not very well documented yet either.
A bad crash resulted, and it scared me and some of my AMA club members.
I've been overly cautious with RTH ever since.

As far as wondering about whether the airframe will come back in one piece, I'm even more nervous when I take the GoPro up...

I agree that Naza is about the best out there as far as features for the $. That's why I'm still here. I've had an Arducopter board parked since I discovered Naza. I was resigned to learning Arduino coding and all of that. Naza let me cut to the chase and fly right away...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 15, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
994 Posts
I've used failsafe-RTH many times as I tend to fly too far out and have to have help (old eyes) coming back. I never have to do any FC switching other than just flip the failsafe off to regain control. This has worked this way on both my F450 and F550. I have also tested the failsafe by switching off the TX on both and always works perfect. I set up my buddies F450 and his works the same as mine, every time.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:11 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
447 Posts
@ t j

Funny you say that. I read close to 100 forum pages about APM board and was about to buy one last year around Xmas time. That's when I hear the Naza. And I held my purchase for the APM. Those guys at Ardupilot forum did (and still are doing) a great job. I admire their willingness to work and help others, but I couldn't see myself going through all that hassle and tinkering with PIDs etc.
Naza didn't come with GPS first, but I knew that DJI would eventually release the GPS addition. So I waited. I am glad I did
You are more optimistic than me about Naza. Look at you; how many incidents yuo went through and still flying it. If I see a glitch on mine one day, I wonder what I will do.
I thought about it many times, and I think I can take anything as long as it is NOT a fly-away. That's the only thing I cannot handle!.. (But is it up to me?..)
Knock on wood; so far so good

BTW, yes I like this RCG very much. My favorite forum obviously...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Feb 2006
28 Posts
I have a Gaui 300x and a DJI Flamewheel 450 with Naza/GPS using DX8 with AR8000 and AR7010 rx's. I have performed well over a dozen RTH's! Some initiated by shutting of the TX others with a programmed switch. I have aborted some in the middle of execution just to see if I could and allowed the rest to land. I have NEVER encountered a problem with the RTH function in either installation. I have flown the Flamewheel over 50 full battery cycle flights and the Gaui over 20. They both have alway flown flawlessly.

I have a friend with a Flamewheel 450 controlled with a Futaba FASST setup, he routinely shuts off his TX to perform RTH, also flawlessly.

Just reporting my experience, yours may very!
cooperd is offline Find More Posts by cooperd