HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, NJ, Lincoln Park
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10kevin View Post
What exact model of receiver do you have? As someone mentioned earlier, some receivers have failsafe modes that just return the sticks to center. Others have failsafe modes that set the sticks/switches to your preferences. You need the latter for the Naza to work in failsafe.
The AR6210, the one Horizon themselves told me to get over the phone. Although that wouldn't have changed anything. I had the flight mode switch set to activate RTH. I never got as far as shutting the radio down.

Will
RC_Kid is offline Find More Posts by RC_Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Kid View Post
The AR6210, the one Horizon themselves told me to get over the phone. Although that wouldn't have changed anything. I had the flight mode switch set to activate RTH. I never got as far as shutting the radio down.

Will
I know nothing about Spek... just giving out the info and trying to learn.
Quote:
SmartSafe Failsafe
The AR6210 features SmartSafe failsafe. SmartSafe is ideal for most types of aircraft. With SmartSafe,
when signal is lost the throttle channel only is driven to its preset failsafe position (normally low
throttle) while all other channels hold last command.
Prevents unintentional electric motor response on startup.
Eliminates the possibility of over-driving servos on start-up by storing preset failsafe positions.
Establishes low-throttle failsafe and maintains last-commanded control surface position if the RF
signal is lost.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Lt Col, USAF, Retired
United States, IL, Swansea
Joined Jan 2010
283 Posts
Quote:

Will
I may be mistaken, but the 6210 will only preset the throttle channel, not any other. That will be an issue if you actually loose signal and a failsafe is triggered. The Naza will not know that a failsafe has occurred. To verify, set the failsafe on the AR6210 with the throttle around 40% and the failsafe switch in failsafe. Then hook up the Naza to the assistant (radio on, PROPS OFF) and turn off the radio. Does the slider on the assistant show failsafe and the throttle at 40%ish? If so, yo are good to go.
kc10kevin is offline Find More Posts by kc10kevin
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:52 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,843 Posts
MC's Right AFAIK

I fly JR/Spektrum.
I'm pretty sure TahoeEd does too.
So, he can confirm this (or correct me if I'm wrong)
You have to upgrade to at least an AR7010 to enjoy the Preset Failsafe feature.
I don't own a 6CH JR/Spektrum reciever that has Preset Failsafe.
The new DSMX might, but I don't recall seeing it listed as a feature.
FWIW, the Preset Failsafe feature is not really promoted like you'd think in the AR7010 instructions.
I know it's there because I've been using the 7CH receivers for some time now...
I think RC_Kid said he went through the Preset Failsafe bind procedure.
But he did not say whether or not he checked it on the Assistant like kc10kevin suggests.
Always check, guys...
And, RC_Kid, watch how much you trust a telephone person working at HH. They probably know as much about using their product on a Naza as anyone else you meet on the street...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
68 Posts
Does Somebody know if it's comes an update for dji naza soon?
stein3247 is offline Find More Posts by stein3247
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
443 Posts
Quote:
The NAZA was responding fine, as the light was indicating that I was out of failsafe mode. It also continued to respond via LED once in the tree, but would not let me shut the motors.
The rapidly flashing light going out just means the radio link has been restored. It does NOT mean you are out of failsafe. You still have to toggle flight modes to exit failsafe.

Did you really toggle flight modes before the craft hit the tree? If you did, did the receiver tell the NAZA to do as expected? Could you tell that the LED changed color (amber and/or green) or went out (manual mode) indicating flight mode change before meeting the tree AND you then moved the sticks to try and prevent the crash? These things can be difficult to do correctly when the craft isn't operating like you expect and you don't have much time.
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I fly JR/Spektrum.
I'm pretty sure TahoeEd does too.
So, he can confirm this (or correct me if I'm wrong)
You have to upgrade to at least an AR7010 to enjoy the Preset Failsafe feature.
I don't own a 6CH JR/Spektrum reciever that has Preset Failsafe.
The new DSMX might, but I don't recall seeing it listed as a feature.
FWIW, the Preset Failsafe feature is not really promoted like you'd think in the AR7010 instructions.
I know it's there because I've been using the 7CH receivers for some time now...
I think RC_Kid said he went through the Preset Failsafe bind procedure.
But he did not say whether or not he checked it on the Assistant like kc10kevin suggests.
Always check, guys...
And, RC_Kid, watch how much you trust a telephone person working at HH. They probably know as much about using their product on a Naza as anyone else you meet on the street...
Actually the AR7000 will work but... the Batt channel has to be labeled "Batt/Data".
The AR7000's labeled with just "BATT" will not have Preset Failsafe.
gww528 is online now Find More Posts by gww528
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,843 Posts
Who Knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein3247 View Post
Does Somebody know if it's comes an update for dji naza soon?
We got one 8/30/12.
I'm not aware of any rumors.
With DJI, you never know.
FWIW, there are not too many posters complaining about unaddressed issues.
There have been before past releases...
They are probably using all their brain-trust on the WK/GPS catastrophe...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:14 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehx View Post
The rapidly flashing light going out just means the radio link has been restored. It does NOT mean you are out of failsafe. You still have to toggle flight modes to exit failsafe.

Did you really toggle flight modes before the craft hit the tree? If you did, did the receiver tell the NAZA to do as expected? Could you tell that the LED changed color (amber and/or green) or went out (manual mode) indicating flight mode change before meeting the tree AND you then moved the sticks to try and prevent the crash? These things can be difficult to do correctly when the craft isn't operating like you expect and you don't have much time.
I did toggle between rate mode (manual) and GPS several times. No response. I do know the manual mode was working, as that's what I almost always fly in and the LED changed as I moved the switch. I had some 10-15 seconds before it went into the tree, and I even tried re arming the FC in that time. No luck.

@ T J Gilbert: I was also under the assumption that only the 7+ channel RX's had full fail safe. THe rep said he was looking at the specs page when he said it. (Shows how well you can trust them) I also didn't test it yet, as I was just testing the RTH function with he switch that flight.

Will
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:34 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
I am wondering if someone can help me with my Naza and RTH. I have searched a bunch of pages and can't find an answer.

I set my transmitter switch to have three modes: manual, GPS, and RTH. As well as that, I have it set to RTH when the radio is shut off.
I was test flying the quad in GPS mode and it was perfectly stable. I decided to go about 30 some feet away and switch to RTH. Once in RTH, the light flashed fast orange. It hovered for a few seconds, and started to climb. At that point I returned the switch to GPS, and the light went back to it's normal green flash. The problem is that it continued to climb. It climbed to about tree top level, started flying backwards, and then descended into the trees behind me. The whole time I was switching between manual and GPS trying to regain control. Despite the LED telling me I had control, it continued to do it's own thing.
As of now the quad is outside my house still not responding, up side down buzzing away full throttle with broken props while in that tree.

Any idea's on this, perhaps a software bug?

Thank you for reading and any help.
Will
I'll throw my 2c in here (sorry if this has all been covered):
  • I have heard of people having wierdness issues with RTH if it is activated inside ten meters (33ft) of the take off point. I tried to find the posts, but no luck.
  • If you don't have atti on a switch (you stated "three modes: manual, GPS, and RTH") I don't know if Naza will behave correctly if there are switch mixes not present. In other words, without it set up with MAN, ATTI, GPS, in that order it may not want to get out of FailSafe.
  • Quickly switching things around in a semi-panic can do funny things in terms of programming course lock or compass calibration.
Also, did you get a confirmation when you calibrated the compass (did you calibrate the compass?).

Also, Also, With some Spektrum receivers you must "double bind" to be completely programmed for failsafe. The first bind is as noted in the Spektrum manual and the second bind is different as you pull the bind plug after powering up the RX but before powering up the TX. I found this to be true at least with my DX7 and the AR9100 RX's I use on my gassers.

FWIW I have used (tested) RTH twice using the switch, once on each quad I have put a Naza in and it worked flawlessly landing about 4 feet from home point. In both cases I started at about 100 feet out. I have no reason to do it again and as has been stated here, I would never test by turning off the TX because that IS Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun!
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:46 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Just tested RTH (switch) for the first time during lunch today. Had been flying for a while, but was waiting until I would get to a very large field with short grass before I would have to guts to try it. So anyway, it's truly mindblowing! I had seen many youtube video, but seeing your own quad being a spec in the horizon, going up, turning around, and coming back to land on the same spot is truly impressive. Mine landed within 2 feet! This does add some much confidence in the hardware, knowing that if you loose the signal, it would come back)
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
I'll throw my 2c in here (sorry if this has all been covered):
  • I have heard of people having wierdness issues with RTH if it is activated inside ten meters (33ft) of the take off point. I tried to find the posts, but no luck.
  • If you don't have atti on a switch (you stated "three modes: manual, GPS, and RTH") I don't know if Naza will behave correctly if there are switch mixes not present. In other words, without it set up with MAN, ATTI, GPS, in that order it may not want to get out of FailSafe.
  • Quickly switching things around in a semi-panic can do funny things in terms of programming course lock or compass calibration.
Also, did you get a confirmation when you calibrated the compass (did you calibrate the compass?).

Also, Also, With some Spektrum receivers you must "double bind" to be completely programmed for failsafe. The first bind is as noted in the Spektrum manual and the second bind is different as you pull the bind plug after powering up the RX but before powering up the TX. I found this to be true at least with my DX7 and the AR9100 RX's I use on my gassers.

FWIW I have used (tested) RTH twice using the switch, once on each quad I have put a Naza in and it worked flawlessly landing about 4 feet from home point. In both cases I started at about 100 feet out. I have no reason to do it again and as has been stated here, I would never test by turning off the TX because that IS Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun!

I did calibrate the compass. I did a few times so I could get the hang of it and be smoother with the rotations. The copter did fly towards me (Home) and didn't over shoot by much.

I believe the RTH was working well. I just think it is a huge safety hazard not being able to at least cut power. Why would they make it like that, I have no idea. I don't like it though, too dangerous. There are also a few other things about the NAZA I don't like, but that is more personal preference than an actual fault. I will not mention what they are so i am not bashing DJI, here :P

Will
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,843 Posts
The Mythical Character, Naza

He's watching you guys playing with his weapons...
Better beware!
RTH is not a flying feature.
It is an emergency feature.
We've all warned you.
And I'm pulling out my old friend...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Just tested RTH (switch) for the first time during lunch today. Had been flying for a while, but was waiting until I would get to a very large field with short grass before I would have to guts to try it. So anyway, it's truly mindblowing! I had seen many youtube video, but seeing your own quad being a spec in the horizon, going up, turning around, and coming back to land on the same spot is truly impressive. Mine landed within 2 feet! This does add some much confidence in the hardware, knowing that if you loose the signal, it would come back)
It occurs to me your screen name is perfect!
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:04 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
It occurs to me your screen name is perfect!
LOL, well, I had to try it, but I definitively don't want to ever use it again! I'm just glad to know it's there and it's working. I wish it would go higher than 20 meters though... That doesn't seem high enough for some of my flying spots.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler