Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,938 Posts
Fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfrcgroups View Post
If you remember one of the first NAZA videos published by DJI, you saw somebody throwing a F450 with Naza away like a frisbee and then all of a sudden stablishing it (maybe he switched from man to att then and gave full throttle????). My dealer said it's really possible to do that - so why don't let it have a freefall even with tumbling, switch to att, give throttle and...... wait and see :-) (I won't be the one to test, but would like to know...)
I remember that video.
I also remember someone saying they tossed the airframe several times before they got lucky, and it flew.
I am not trying to get anyone to sacrifice their craft.
I surely wouldn't.
I'm just saying that someone used to doing a free-fall routinely could share a video.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic View Post
Been flying the Naza/gps for a while now and all has been fine. As of late, I have been having a problem with all red blinking lights. Before launch I wait for slow single green blink. Take off and within a minute or two (voltage still around 12v) I get no green, just fast blinking reds as if voltage is low, but it isn't. Anything else cause this error code? Doesn't seem like compass is off - flies straight. Any ideas appreciated.
The Turnigy NanoTech seems to be the problem. With the Hyperions I get a nice slow green blink. With the Turnigy I get slow green before takeoff but as soon as I put a load on the battery I get fast red. The Voltage on all cells balance out and show full charge. Probably only have 20 charges at the most on this battery. Anyone know of a way to recondition the battery? These things get expensive!
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:19 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
As far as I know, once a battery goes it's gone. Some people have been known to make a 4S battery a 3S but removing a cell is tricky.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
If you have tested dropping the throttle to zero in Intelligent mode, and plan to do it again, would you mind documenting it with some video?
I'd personally like to see how long it takes full throttle to "break your fall" so to speak.
Of interest also would be whether the airframe remains oriented horizontally well enough to prevent full throttle from sending you off sideways or down at 100 mph...
;-) Absolutely - seriously I just thought that was a more amusing way to stunt the thing a bit. As soon as I get some light I'll hang the GoPro on it. Actually putting it on the bottom may be fun.

The main disadvantages with GoPros is that if you crash them hard, the last few seconds video are lost (it comes up with a "failed to write to SD card", and needs a cold boot). Don't ask me how I know.
phil_w is offline Find More Posts by phil_w
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Aug 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_w View Post
;-) Absolutely - seriously I just thought that was a more amusing way to stunt the thing a bit. As soon as I get some light I'll hang the GoPro on it. Actually putting it on the bottom may be fun.

The main disadvantages with GoPros is that if you crash them hard, the last few seconds video are lost (it comes up with a "failed to write to SD card", and needs a cold boot). Don't ask me how I know.

I screwed up when I was initially playing around with fail-safe settings on f550. It basically went to freefall . Well kind of because the props were still spinning so it stayed level. I recovered but if I started 1m lower than I did, it would have been a very unlucky 3rd flight.
My point is, that thing covers a lot of altitude before it actually recovers from freefall. Not recommended.
jamac is offline Find More Posts by jamac
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:12 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
The Turnigy NanoTech seems to be the problem. With the Hyperions I get a nice slow green blink. With the Turnigy I get slow green before takeoff but as soon as I put a load on the battery I get fast red. The Voltage on all cells balance out and show full charge. Probably only have 20 charges at the most on this battery. Anyone know of a way to recondition the battery? These things get expensive!
This happended to me with a brand new Nanotech. I would go into lv cut off, but when I checked the voltage it was still good. I did notice that on my osd, the voltage sag was up in the 1V+ range, much more than the normal .5V or so. So I ended up turning off my low voltage protection. I kind of forgot about it and left my voltage protection off because I fly both 3 and 4S, but I wonder if it's gotten any better after a lot of cycles, because I haven't really noticed or thought about it lately. I'll check on it and report back.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,338 Posts
Quote:
It's funny, I have some 30C Nano's that are fairly used (150+ cycles) and a couple that are newer (20+) that do the same thing. They charge to the right voltage and always balance to .005 or better but cannot take even a 15C hit without alarming my monitor. It's like the internal resistance just changes and they lose their C rating. I haven't really had this with Zippy, SkyLipo or GensAce.

I don't over stress them (never get em hot) or discharge them too far and they always balance better than any other pack I have.

It's just a mystery I tell ya...
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Thanks for responding.

Do they ballance well?
Mine hardly needed touching.
Even with chips in they still flew well.
mudlark is online now Find More Posts by mudlark
Last edited by mudlark; Oct 18, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
This happended to me with a brand new Nanotech. I would go into lv cut off, but when I checked the voltage it was still good. I did notice that on my osd, the voltage sag was up in the 1V+ range, much more than the normal .5V or so. So I ended up turning off my low voltage protection. I kind of forgot about it and left my voltage protection off because I fly both 3 and 4S, but I wonder if it's gotten any better after a lot of cycles, because I haven't really noticed or thought about it lately. I'll check on it and report back.
It is kind of strange - I have a secondary voltage alarm hooked up and it doesn't show low voltage - only the NAZA. I would just turn off the Naza voltage indicator but thought I should probably leave it on until I figure out what is going on. When I flew today, it seemed that the auto land kicked in just when I was bringing the hex back - but still no alarm. Increasing the throttle didn't seem to add power! Not sure though. I didn't try bringing it up to full or even half power at that point.
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Guys, can you please help me, I finished my fw-450 build and its working BUT when it start flying Its like 2 arms are the only trying to go up, so the others one or two are trying to cut the grass in the garden (touching the floor)

What am I doing wrong?

I have the futaba t8fg configured same than here
Futaba 8FG Super Setup with DJI Naza GPS using S-BUS (7 min 37 sec)

Thanks!
Volandos is offline Find More Posts by Volandos
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Fall recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielnc06 View Post
I routinely use a near free fall to descend fast... my throttle mode is the one where zero throttle input is actually idle speed... my motors will not stop.. so in atti mode if i drop my throttle to zero.. the quad falls at a slow controled speed woth prop wash wobble.. but when i want to fall fast and level i switch to manual mode level the quad and drop throttle to zero and it falls near freefall speed and has no wobbles then about 20-15 ft from the ground i give it a full throttle brake.and pop it into atti mode once my falling has stopped.. works wonders..and it is a very scary silence during the fall...takes my stomach every time.
I'm going to have to try this. Motors and esc's are coming to resurrect the Rusty's frame build, it is like a timex watch taking a liking and keeps ticking. When doing the battery test vid on the hoverthings the throttle was placed at zero yet it recovered quickly. Interesting
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
There might be a problem with all that processing power while trying to remain small. I think a extra battery in time will be needed. I like the great frame rates.
The BIG question is how much additional crap will it radiate?
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:18 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Same here. I have four Turnigy Nano 3S 2200 25-50 C. I run two in parallel so no one battery ever draws more than about 12 A. They don't get very hot and they probably don't have 50 cycles but they are all fairly puffed. I also treat them well, don't overly discharge them, and always balance charge. I get about a .6V drop when the motors are running on my hex after the batteries have dropped to around 11.2 near the end of a flight. I think they are about toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_q View Post
It's funny, I have some 30C Nano's that are fairly used (150+ cycles) and a couple that are newer (20+) that do the same thing. They charge to the right voltage and always balance to .005 or better but cannot take even a 15C hit without alarming my monitor. It's like the internal resistance just changes and they lose their C rating. I haven't really had this with Zippy, SkyLipo or GensAce.

I don't over stress them (never get em hot) or discharge them too far and they always balance better than any other pack I have.

It's just a mystery I tell ya...
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:46 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Fundamental + or minus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
The BIG question is how much additional crap will it radiate?
It depends. Maybe it is at 5.8 Ghz fundamental
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Oct 2012
55 Posts
Folks good day, I am new to the forum and new to Quads. I have flown Glow and Elec Helis before. I assembled my F450 with Naza+GPS with a Spektrum dx8 radio/receiver. I am having an issue with what I perceive to be glitches. I am including 2 videos that I shot. Hopefully the group could give me some ideas on my issues. BTW neither attitude nor gps modes will hold position or altitute. Thanks for the help

http://www.youtube.com/embed/XqVpZs4...yer_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PagUf5Q...yer_detailpage
smartdave is online now Find More Posts by smartdave