HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
994 Posts
If set up properly you can watch where your throttle setting goes while in the assistant. Switched failsafe sets the throttle at hover speed 50% or so. Hook it up and watch it. What was your battery voltage after you crashed? Were you in cutout?
mewert is online now Find More Posts by mewert
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,843 Posts
DeltaPopper

"Question: Does failsafe kick-in for throttle too low (like under 10%) or just "Lost Signal"?"
Is below 10% what you did when you started down?
If so, why?
Below 10% has different results depending on whether you're using "Immediate" or "Intelligent" mode.
Either way, below 10% is not wise...
It will make any rotor craft drop like a rock.
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaPopper View Post
Does failsafe kick-in for throttle too low (like under 10%) or just "Lost Signal"?
It kicks in when the control mode channel goes into a position that indicates 'failsafe'. Nothing to do with throttle.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,843 Posts
Consult Our "Vague" Naza Manual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
It kicks in when the control mode channel goes into a position that indicates 'failsafe'. Nothing to do with throttle.
The manual makes a statement at the top of page 17 that I don't quite understand & I've never tested (and don't plan to...) about below 10% in "Intelligent" mode.
I think that's what prompted DeltaPopper's question.
Below 10% is still a risk IMO...
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
My guess is that with IOC if you put the throttle below 10% it stops the engines and you have to use CSC to start them again. But in the videos the engines sounded like they were still running. It did flip a little from side to side, so perhaps it lost or partically lost a motor due to a bad solder joint.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,030 Posts
if you throttle up right away you dont have to re-arm the motors.

steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, WI, Burlington
Joined Jan 2005
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
"Question: Does failsafe kick-in for throttle too low (like under 10%) or just "Lost Signal"?"
Is below 10% what you did when you started down?
If so, why?
Below 10% has different results depending on whether you're using "Immediate" or "Intelligent" mode.
Either way, below 10% is not wise...
It will make any rotor craft drop like a rock.
I knew my lipo was getting low so I lowered the throttle to get back quickly. I'm not sure if it went below 10%. How would I know?
I do have failsafe set at 50% throttle as shown on assistant.
I did not flip my failsafe switch. I guess panic set in.
DeltaPopper is offline Find More Posts by DeltaPopper
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, OK, Erick
Joined Aug 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemijal View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Not because i'm into seeing something grusome, But I want to show a couple of friends of mine the seriousness of flying a multicopter. Especially in populated areas!!
and this is why you disable the motors or remove the props. it is acually worse than the pic shows. (crappy cell phone)

see the prop on table, i dug a chunk of it out of my arm as well.
crash8384 is offline Find More Posts by crash8384
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8384 View Post
and this is why you disable the motors or remove the props. it is acually worse than the pic shows. (crappy cell phone)

Dang... sorry about that. I will definitely be removing my props. I was planning to upgrade my firmware this evening so I'm glad I read this, especially with my luck with the quad lately.

I'm kind of glad the pics are a bit blurry... Eating lunch at the moment.

Hope you heal quickly!
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, WI, Burlington
Joined Jan 2005
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
if you throttle up right away you dont have to re-arm the motors.

steve
I did move the throttle back up to the max as she was falling. If you listen to the audio on the video, it seems on the way down it was a different sound, like maybe "auto-rotation" or spinning backwards? Just a guess as I'm still in the early stages of mastering this hobby. Thanks to all for your comments.
DeltaPopper is offline Find More Posts by DeltaPopper
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,149 Posts
Quote:

nasty mess.
Will defiantly be careful with mine as I use the BEVRC carbon blades. They are sharp
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,843 Posts
Lowering Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaPopper View Post
I knew my lipo was getting low so I lowered the throttle to get back quickly. I'm not sure if it went below 10%. How would I know?
I do have failsafe set at 50% throttle as shown on assistant.
I did not flip my failsafe switch. I guess panic set in.
I think you've got to condition yourself to not make sudden throttle drops when flying rotor craft. On a plane, that's what many do at the hint of trouble, but then you can glide.
It's been my experience flying heli's and multirotors that just a small amount below center stick sends your craft down faster than you'd really expect. A heli actually carries some momentum in it's blades, and the throttle drop is not quite as drastic.

We could hear your motors like u2builder said, and you might not have gone below 10%, but if you were at 35% you were still probably in freefall.
If you did go to below 10% for more than 5 sec, and you are setup for "Immediate" mode, your motors were dead, and might have been freewheeling or auto-rotating. The way I understand it, the CSC was your only hope to regain motor control at that point. Raising the throttle, even to max, would have had no effect.
If you panic, a better move than dropping the throttle is attempting to engage Failsafe.

I fly planes as well as rotor craft, and I think the rotor craft flying skills make me a better plane pilot.
It steels your nerves, makes you more attentive, and slows your making exaggerated stick movements.
Just my $.02...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 16, 2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added more
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:48 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
The manual makes a statement at the top of page 17 that I don't quite understand & I've never tested (and don't plan to...) about below 10% in "Intelligent" mode.
I think that's what prompted DeltaPopper's question.
Below 10% is still a risk IMO...
I understood it to mean that if you have Intelligent cutoff type set, closing the throttle below 10% will result in a controlled descent (with auto levelling) ... rather than it dropping like a brick.

I use immediate though, and accept that it will fall out of the sky if I'm silly enough to completely shut the throttle!
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,372 Posts

If you were any closer; I'd give you some Benzalkonium Chloride to put on that.

Quote:

m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:31 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,372 Posts
mudlark,

Do you like those blades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
nasty mess.
Will defiantly be careful with mine as I use the BEVRC carbon blades. They are sharp
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson