SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Maybe I just like dancing with my hexa! DON'T JUDGE ME!
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, TX, Dickinson
Joined Jul 2012
30 Posts
Thanks 320. Is there a way to mix the trainer switch with the SC switch so you can use it to activate the failsafe?
AAzerosix is offline Find More Posts by AAzerosix
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
DON'T JUDGE ME!
I'm disagreeing, not judging.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Safety Battery for Assitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Regarding powering up without removing the props, which is definitely a pain, I was wondering if one could use a "testing" battery made from some well used small lipo where there was say a 1A or so quick blow fuse on one of the battery leads. That should blow right away if the motors tried to start.
OK, went to the hardware store and got a fuse holder and connected it to an old Lipo. I put a 1A fuse in it because I have lights that draw 600 mA. Took 5 minutes to make.

I took the machine outdoors and powered up. Lights were on and VU was working. I did the CSC and then gave it full throttle. Props barely started up and fuse blew of course just like I thought it would . Perfect. Only one test because the fuses are a buck a pop, but beats chopping up the fingers.

Without lights you could probably use 1/4 A fuse.

I am not saying don't remove props, but seems like this setup provides pretty good safety. Use at own risk and test outdoors first of course.
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
Last edited by u2builder; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,701 Posts
u2builder

I like your invention...
Might consider making one.
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:21 PM
SOUTH WALES UK
Joined Sep 2010
93 Posts
I dont suppose I'm the first to do this but if you're having trouble finding 50% throttle to engage altitude hold put a kink in your throttle curve.Tried it yesterday,works a treat, much easier
Tim
tangle is offline Find More Posts by tangle
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,990 Posts
nice job, and thanks for posting.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
OK, went to the hardware store and got a fuse holder and connected it to an old Lipo. I put a 1A fuse in it because I have lights that draw 600 mA. Took 5 minutes to make.

I took the machine outdoors and powered up. Lights were on and VU was working. I did the CSC and then gave it full throttle. Props barely started up and fuse blew of course just like I thought it would . Perfect. Only one test because the fuses are a buck a pop, but beats chopping up the fingers.

Without lights you could probably use 1/4 A fuse.

I am not saying don't remove props, but seems like this setup provides pretty good safety. Use at own risk and test outdoors first of course.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangle View Post
I dont suppose I'm the first to do this but if you're having trouble finding 50% throttle to engage altitude hold put a kink in your throttle curve.Tried it yesterday,works a treat, much easier
Tim
I did this a long time ago (think I also posted it) while training FPV-flight. Often when using YAW (flying mode 2) I lost or increased altitude - with this little option it was easy then... I put this option onto a flight-phase switch.
ralfrcgroups is offline Find More Posts by ralfrcgroups
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, OK, Erick
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstuff View Post
Hmmmmm.. but that's (at least) a dozen leads on a multirotor.......
True but if you took one look at my arm right now, then every one will understand prop safety !!!!

Better believe ill never power up anything with props or blades on again
Ill upload a pic in a few just to show how important it is to remove them cause ya never know !
crash8384 is offline Find More Posts by crash8384
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,701 Posts
Heli vs Acro Transmitter

Quote:
Tim
I fly Naza with my JR9303H.
It comes with the sawtooth detent feature removed from the throttle stick.
It's very easy to find the hover point.
An acro radio can be converted.
I even fly my planes with it.
It's easy to get used to...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: If You Don't See It Here...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAzerosix View Post
Thanks 320. Is there a way to mix the trainer switch with the SC switch so you can use it to activate the failsafe?
Well, I like to keep things simple. I use (or will use) my orange three way switch to select GPS, or Attitude or Fail Safe. Then you are not getting weird combinations of different switches. Before I launch, all switches are down (away from me). That puts the NAZA in GPS mode.

So after I have calibrated my NAZA with the GPS, then I will adjust the end point again, so the third switch position, will move the cursor between A (attitude) and M (Manual) into the Fail Safe area.

So the three way switch will activate FailSafe too; if I pull the switch up all the way.. Just read the end of my post.
If you don't understand what I wrote at the end, I can post another picture of my Tx Calib page, with Fail safe activated by the orange three -way switch.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 15, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:38 PM
SOUTH WALES UK
Joined Sep 2010
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I fly Naza with my JR9303H.
It comes with the sawtooth detent feature removed from the throttle stick.
It's very easy to find the hover point.
An acro radio can be converted.
I even fly my planes with it.
It's easy to get used to...
Couldn't agree more, the first thing I do with a new Tx is remove the ratchet on throttle .Tim
tangle is offline Find More Posts by tangle
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,565 Posts
Quote:
Tim
I use a 'hover' flight phase with throttle fixed at 50% so the stick does nothing. I also have a 'landing' one with a fixed throttle position set for the fastest stable descent (avoiding the 'wobbles'), which is very handy when it's up high.

'Normal', 'hover', and 'landing' are on a 3-pos switch above the throttle stick.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
32 Posts
FYI I successfully flashed the 27ms firmware for d8r-xp to my d8r-II plus. The 18ms firmware behaved very strange with ppm in Naza assistant but with this one everything seems great.
I guess the drawback will be more latency but I'm not doing any stunts with my quad
P  is offline Find More Posts by P
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:09 PM
Westland Michigan.
Joined Jan 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash8384 View Post
True but if you took one look at my arm right now, then every one will understand prop safety !!!!

Better believe ill never power up anything with props or blades on again
Ill upload a pic in a few just to show how important it is to remove them cause ya never know !
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Not because i'm into seeing something grusome, But I want to show a couple of friends of mine the seriousness of flying a multicopter. Especially in populated areas!!
mikemijal is offline Find More Posts by mikemijal