HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Regarding powering up without removing the props, which is definitely a pain, I was wondering if one could use a "testing" battery made from some well used small lipo where there was say a 1A or so quick blow fuse on one of the battery leads. That should blow right away if the motors tried to start.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
SOUTH WALES UK
Joined Sep 2010
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Regarding powering up without removing the props, which is definitely a pain, I was wondering if one could use a "testing" battery made from some well used small lipo where there was say a 1A or so quick blow fuse on one of the battery leads. That should blow right away if the motors tried to start.
Sounds like a good idea to me
tangle is offline Find More Posts by tangle
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:03 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
I'm sure this has been asked and I do try to keep up with this thread but life is busy.
Question is where do I plug the PPM into? is it X1?
it's X2
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:10 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTristann View Post
1. The proven compatible PPM tested by DJI:
FRSKY TFRSP: http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=80
FRSKY TFR4: http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=95
Basically, Naza-M is compatible to mainstream PPM specifications (see item 2 below).
Those TF Series (also called “CPPM”) from FRSKY are within this specification, hence compatible to Naza-M controller.

However, 2.4GHz Two Way Series (e.g. D4R-II) is different from TF Series:
Refer to the features with highlighted notice: http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=119;
As feedback from FRSKY call center, they are on the progress of upgrade to narrow the difference.
Thus there could have incompatibility issue with Naza CURRENTLY.

2. Main Stream PPM Range and Naza supportable PPM Range
Attachment 5231967
Mainstream PPM Signal Range
period: 22500us
Sync pulse:[6500,14500]us
channel signal: [1000,2000]us, center:1500us,
channel number: normal 8-channel

Naza-M Supportable PPM Signal Range:
period: base on the sync pulse and channel number
Sync pulse:[4000,18000]us
channel signal: [1000,2000]us, center:1500us
channel number: max 10 channel, if more than 10 channel, only use the first 10 channel;

3. Symptom of Naza-M & PPM Incompatibility
Generally 2 sorts of symptom:
(1). Completely Incompatible: Naza-M cannot recognize PPM Rx, cannot set up communication
(2). Partially Compatible with Dead-Zone: e.g. D4R-II; symptom could be random communication loss, stick command abnormity, random dropping into fail-safe, etc.

4. Statement
Currently PPM Receiver Signal Range is defined by various radio manufactures separately; some of them follows mainstream signal range, but some not.
Hence NOT ALL PPM receivers are Naza-M supportable.
You may check the datasheet of your PPM Rx, referring to Item 2 above to have a preliminary judgement.
Any confusion or consultant, feel free to feedback via: support@dji-innovations.com
Good info, and what timing! I am using the Frsky D8RXP and I just had a crazy experience yesterday. While in a banked turn, the quad started going crazy. At first it felt like my gains weren't high enough and it was struggling to level. Then for a few seconds it felt like I lost complete control, and it seemed like it was climbing and returning to home. Then, gradually I regained control. Almost lost my quad into a rock quarry. All this happened with no rssi beeps from the tx. I was shaking when I landed, lol!

Maybe this explains it. I think I better switch back to the traditional receiver connection. Its not worth the risk, just to eliminate a few wires.
I can post the video tonight if anyone is interested.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
That's a good idea. I use a bench power supply with the voltage set to 12.0 and the current limit turned right down. I've got a set of output leads for it with 4mm gold connectors on the end (what I use on my power packs).
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAzerosix View Post
Since we're on page 373 and I'm sure someone may have covered this already, I'll just ask. I have no clue how to mix channels on a futaba 8FG. I want to use the same 3 position switch for the GPS/Atti Atti and Manual but want to mix the 2 position spring loaded switch to enable failsafe and don't know how to do it. Also, how do you set up the TX loss of signal fail safe to automatically set the FC into failsafe so it will return to home if it loses TX signal?
I have the 8FG and a 7 channel R617FS Futaba Rx
Ok, here is what I did . At this point I haven't set up Failsafe in the Futaba Rx. What I did was to set up the upper right hand switch on my Tx as the 3 way switch for GPS-AT-M (GPS, Attitude, Manual). See the first picture.

So first thing, connect channel 6 on the Futaba Rx to the "U" plug on the NAZA. The schematic on page 8 of the NAZA manual will help show this.

Now turn on your Tx, go to
LINKAGE MENU
next
FUNCTION
next
scroll down function page to page 2.
at
6 AUX6 -- --
click on the first -- in the Ctl column

Now, under HW Select, move cursor to SC (the switch you want to use)
then click on SC, then click on ON/OFF.
On the FUNCTION page, you should now see,
6 AUX6 SC --

Next, connect the NAZA to your computer (after LiPo power to Quad first, then plug USB cable to VU unit. THEN open NAZA assistant software) Go to TX Calib page next. Cycle the three way switch. Some end point adjustment may be necessary so that at each position, the cursor is lined up under GPS-A-M, and the blue square in each case is illuminated.

See the last three images I posted. If the cursor isn't directly below these three points on scale, go to
LINKAGE,then
END POINT, then

scroll down to
6 AUX6 135 100 100 135
I had to adjust the end points so now they look like this,
6 AUX 135 80 80 135

Now when you cycle the 3 position switch, you will see the cursor on the Tx Calib page of the NAXA assistant software move between the three blue squares.
See the last three pictures...for now,
What people are doing, rather than have the third switch position go to "M" adjust the end point so the last switch position will fall between, Att and MAN, which will put the cursor in the Failsafe range. Therefore you would have three selections on the switch, GPS-A-Failsafe. My three pictures don't show this yet.

Hope this helps,

good luck!
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:38 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Now when you cycle the 3 position switch, you will see the cursor on the Calib page of the NAXA assistant software move between the three blue squares.
See the last three pictures...waht people are doing, rather than have the thrid switch position go to "M" adjust the end points so last switch position will fall between, Att and MAN, which will put the cursor in the Failsafe range.
Keep in mind without a Manual Mode you cannot do the GPS calibration.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Keep in mind without a Manual Mode you cannot do the GPS calibration.
Once I have calibrated the GPS the first time, then this 3 way switch solution (adjust endpoint out of last Manual postilion) would work ok?
Sorry for taking over this thread a bit, but I wanted to help this guy, having figured this all out for the 8FG Tx.
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:47 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,944 Posts
Go Fot It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Once I have calibrated the GPS the first time, then this 3 way switch solution (adjust endpoint out of last Manual postilion) would work ok?
Sorry for taking over this thread a bit, but I wanted to help this guy, having figured this all out for the 8FG Tx.
Your calibration solution should be fine.
Trading manual for failsafe is acceptable if you don't want/need manual...

You're not taking over the thread.
You're giving some of us a rest.
Thanks!
We'll let you know if you screw up or omit something...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I calibrate at least 3-4 times a week, it's not a bad idea esp considering I rarely fly in the same place twice in the week.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
fly to the moon :)
Canada, QC, Terrebonne
Joined Apr 2009
182 Posts
by the way, just can confirm here that my diy module frsky v8ht and the rx v8r7-sp work fine with naza.
aeroseb is offline Find More Posts by aeroseb
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroseb View Post
by the way, just can confirm here that my diy module frsky v8ht and the rx v8r7-sp work fine with naza.
Are you using ppm sum? my d8rxp has been working as well, but the manual does say not to use more than 6 ch with ppm sum because the frame width is too small for all channels at max throw or something like that. And combined with the info posted above I'm wondering if this is what caused my erratic behavior
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
Quote:
I calibrate at least 3-4 times a week, it's not a bad idea esp considering I rarely fly in the same place twice in the week.
Calibration is to deal with magnetic fields produced by components in/on your copter. You shouldn't need to repeat it unless you change something.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I fly in and around various industrial complexes. Magnetic interference is everywhere and considering it takes 30 seconds I figure why not .
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
Quote:
I fly in and around various industrial complexes. Magnetic interference is everywhere and considering it takes 30 seconds I figure why not .
But the magnetic field where you're standing when you calibrate won't be the same as it is when the copter is in flight.