SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:32 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,922 Posts
Mike, what thickness is the servo tape? If it is too thick, it is not good for the Naza. It likes a hard mount. That is why DJI supplies the thin double stick tape.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, WV, Harrison
Joined Jul 2012
302 Posts
GPS Protectors with Shielding

This is my latest idea for sheilding the NAZA GPS protectors. Let me know if you think it will work. My idea is to have the copper shielding mounted inside and run a piece of 22 awg wire into the hole and tape it down with the copper shielding tape...The adhesive side is conductive as well. Then you simply connect the other end of the grounding wire to the aircraft ground

With this setup you do not need to solder anything on the GPS protector just put a piece of the shielding tape over the wire in essence taping it to the shielding (All tape is conductive on both sides)

Name: Naza Gaurd v05 wshield.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 99.2 KB
Description:
wdelarme is offline Find More Posts by wdelarme
Last edited by wdelarme; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Spektrum DX7 setup

Hello all,

Here's my radio setup using my DX7 and a 7 channel receiver. with this setup I have the 3 position switch in Manual, ATTI and GPS, the flap switch for Home lock on and off, the rudder switch for Manual failsafe and the AUX2 trim (not the switch, just the trim next to it) for gains adjustment and gimbal adjustment.

In the Model menu (Presing scroll down and select while turning on the transmitter)

Model: ACRO

Input select
Aux2: INH
AUX2 Trim:ACT (this will let you use the trim on AUX 2 for Gymbal adjustment or Gain adjustment, just connext Aux 2 to X1)
Flap:System
Flap Trim:ACT

Everything else leave as default.

Regular Menu

Sub-trims at 0
Travel adjust leave everything at 100%

Flap Sys (This is where you setup the 3 switch for Manual, Atti and GPS)

you have 3 options, Normal, mid and land. these are the 3 different positions for the switch. Using the adjust button of the receiver, go up or down on each setting while looking at the NAZA software until you select in blue the desire position for that position (it will be marked in blue). Do this for each setting until you have all three modes selected.

To give you a better idea I have my switch setup with GPS all the way up, Mid is Atti and down is normal and my settings are the following:

[FLAP SYS]

FLAP ELEV
Norm UP 89% 0
Mid UP 6% 0
Land DN 77% 0

Now, to program the failsafe manual switch using the rudder switch use this program mix:

[PROG.MIX1]

Flap - Flap
Rate: -100
SW:Mix
Offset: here you move the adjust button up or down until you see the arrow in the naza software selecting one of the two failsafe areas (blue).

Remember to setup the failsafe of the receiver at 40 or 50% depending what you prefer.

Everything else leave it as default.

Hope this helps and it might work with the DX8.
rivan01 is offline Find More Posts by rivan01
Last edited by rivan01; Oct 11, 2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:28 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I'll also check it for loose wires, Naza, etc. I'm using servo tape to attach the Naza to the frame. I forgot my camera so I can't take pics until I get home (don't like using my smartphone camera for detail shots).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Mike, what thickness is the servo tape? If it is too thick, it is not good for the Naza. It likes a hard mount. That is why DJI supplies the thin double stick tape.
Z06 Tony recommended I use Parma Pro servo tape and I haven't had a single issue with it. Just FYI
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Z06 Tony recommended I use Parma Pro servo tape and I haven't had a single issue with it. Just FYI
+1 good tape, works great
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,950 Posts
Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Mike:
I just went back and read some of your previous postings.
You apparently flew the F450/Naza for a while without GPS.
I assume that experience was trouble free?
We're preaching to you like you are a total newbie.
The Naza/GPS setup flew well, except for some circular drift issues.
Then, we encouraged you to calibrate the compass and adjust gains.
That's when trouble started.
You've done this Naza stuff long enough to ferret out this problem/issue.
You don't need us telling you how to troubleshoot.
Get back to a starting point or benchmark (that may have to be before you installed GPS if you have not kept good record of your work/changes).
I'd completely review your GPS install, and see if it went "by the book".
Get the airframe flying like it was before this stuff started, and begin again...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: I learned more about Mike's experience...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,085 Posts
I use the same double sided tape for all my gyro based applications and it works perfect. i have never had an issue for years.

I buy it from a supermarket chain called Carefour (french origin) its is used for sticking film across windows to creat a sort of double gazing effect.

The take is maybe 3mm thick or less and is made from a sort of gell rather than foam.
the adhesive is very strong and when you remove it it doesnt leave any residue behind at all unlike the foam based ones.

its about 10 dollars a roll but works just great if you ask me!

Im sorry i dont have a name for this tape but i can post a picture later on
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,869 Posts
Hi guys, thanks again for the responses.

@Tahoe Ed - The servo tape I'm using is pretty thin. It's the same stuff I've used for years, and it's what we used to attach the steering servo to the chassis of the buggies/trucks we used to race! So it's pretty strong. I don't know the thickness but it's pretty thin and black in color. I've also used it for gyro mounts on my helis. I've read that you're supposed to use slightly thicker tape for vibration damping but I've never had a problem with them holding the tail.

@TJ - Yes, the F450 flew fine before I installed the GPS. It even flew it okay with the GPS aside from needing some minor adjustments. The trouble started after the calibration. Admittedly, I made changes to the gains at the same time I calibrated both the FC and the GPS. That's one of my cardinal rules which I broke: Don't make too many changes at one time. In IT, when you have a problem, you can't make too many changes at one time because once the problem is fixed, you're not going to know what fixed it if you changed 2-3 things at the same time.

My problem (or character flaw, if you will) is that I get frustrated quickly with things that should work, but don't. I'm a pretty good troubleshooter - it's how I put food on the table - but that doesn't go well with being easily frustrated. And when I get easily frustrated, I come to RCGroups.com and whine. So thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far with what appears to be simple problems. Make a settings change, test, and if the test doesn't go well, revert back to previous settings. Pretty simple.

Anyway, it's pretty windy today so I probably won't get a chance to test things out. I'll report back once I get another few flights in. Thanks again guys; I truly do appreciate the guidance.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,950 Posts
Mike_Then...

I suspected that you knew what had to be done, but were hoping for a quick, easy solution.
Unfortunately, your problem is a little vague, illusive, whatever.
You are spot on with your engineering analysis philosophy.

After all has been said, and done, I think you have some small, overlooked item that is causing this abnormal behavior.

Once you get the Naza/GPS dialed in, you'll look forward to playing in the wind.
Don't forget... "The wind is your friend!"

Keep checking back with progress reports, photos, etc. and I'll try to help. But I'm not going to bombard you with dozens of suggestions until you get things narrowed down a little more on your own.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:49 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I suspected that you knew what had to be done, but were hoping for a quick, easy solution.
Unfortunately, your problem is a little vague, illusive, whatever.
You are spot on with your engineering analysis philosophy.

After all has been said, and done, I think you have some small, overlooked item that is causing this abnormal behavior.

Once you get the Naza/GPS dialed in, you'll look forward to playing in the wind.
Don't forget... "The wind is your friend!"

Keep checking back with progress reports, photos, etc. and I'll try to help. But I'm not going to bombard you with dozens of suggestions until you get things narrowed down a little more on your own.
Yup, hoping for a quick/easy solution is correct. But, such is life. I already corrected the gains but haven't had a chance to test them. Will do so if the winds settle down today. I've been flying long enough to know that a windy day is NOT good for trimming/troubleshooting model aircraft.

I'll post pics once I have access to a "real" camera. The shooter on my smartphone is 8MP and does a decent job but it doesn't handle close-up shots well. I may try it a little later today just for the sake of trying. That way you guys can correct me if something is glaringly/obviously incorrect. I think I'm okay as far as component placement is concerned but a second opinion is always good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
Naza Xaircraft hexa twitching problem

I've recently started having problems with twitching or sudden rolls to the right. Before this I've been flying it and no problems whatsoever. I did a search online and found that I wasn't alone with this problem. While many say it's not the Naza FC but rather the esc's and motors that are causing the problem. This may be true BUT I'm not so convinced. Every single twitching problems ( about a dozen) that I've read about, it seems that the twitching (sudden rolls) are all to the right, what a coincidence!! Any thoughts??
xquad is offline Find More Posts by xquad
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:21 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
You may very well have a bad solder joint in one of the motor bullets. You can't tell by looking. It seems like most everyone has this problem. If you momentarily loose some current flow to one of the motors it will slow down and that side will drop.

What I did was use bungee cord to "clamp" the middle of the quad to a sawhorse, very securely. Then I powered it up and used the controls. It was pretty obvious which motor was not acting properly. My problem did not develop immediately, but when it did, the machine flipped and crashed. I resoldered the connectors on the bad motor. Many flights later it flipped again due to a problem with a different motor. I resoldered all the connectors in both my quad and my hex. I heated the solder in the bullet and pulled out each wire. A few appeared not to have been tinned which I think was the problem. They probably give the job of soldering the bullets to the newbees in the factory since it would seem to be an easy task. They are not doing a very good job. But it sells a lot of spare parts I guess.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xquad View Post
I've recently started having problems with twitching or sudden rolls to the right. Before this I've been flying it and no problems whatsoever. I did a search online and found that I wasn't alone with this problem. While many say it's not the Naza FC but rather the esc's and motors that are causing the problem. This may be true BUT I'm not so convinced. Every single twitching problems ( about a dozen) that I've read about, it seems that the twitching (sudden rolls) are all to the right, what a coincidence!! Any thoughts??
I had same issues months back. Double checked all solder joints. Could see no bad ones. Then I checked the bullet connectors Looked all good from the outside but found one wire (factory soldered and shrink tubed) that was actually off but held in place by the shrink tubing. Replaced connector etc. and never had a problem since. Shrink tubing is great but sometimes hides an issue.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, WV, Harrison
Joined Jul 2012
302 Posts
Just finished this

Will now be offering the shielding to the NAZA GPS protector for a total cost of $15.00 shipped.

Name: 2012-10-11 18.42.00.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 154.1 KB
Description:

Please excuse the meter it won't go to total 0 since the leads are about 10 years old but this is connected to the drain/ground wire and touching the meter to any part of the shielding
wdelarme is offline Find More Posts by wdelarme
Last edited by wdelarme; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,869 Posts
The wind died down significantly this afternoon so I flew the F450 with the adjusted gains. Much better than yesterday. The GPS seemed to hold position well but still drifts a bit. I don't expect it to hold the quad in place perfectly but this time it only drifted a few feet as opposed to last time so it's a definite improvement. I tried the RTH function but the F450 flew too close to the building we're at so I took over and landed it manually. I'm sure with the building/hotel right behind me isn't the best place in the world to test this so I'll wait until I get to our wide-open club field.

Thanks again everyone; looks like I'm back in business. Will now adjust the gains to suit my flying style. I'll report back soon.

FYI checked all the connections, solder joints, and components and all seems secured well.
RCG Plus Member