SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
73 Posts
First crash $&*()@#!!!!!!

....first crash with my quad. Flying along great in FPV moving slowly forward (<10mph) at about 15 feet off of the ground when for a split second I could tell the the quad stopped moving forward relative to my stick input and then, bam, I lost my video signal. I got a stomach wrenching single alarm beep from my fatsharks and I knew it was bad. When I found her on the football field she was belly up and expensive electronics were slung everywhere. Unfortunately, no video to review/investigate. My only guess is that I lost main power for some reason. I presume that I had a bad solder connection at some point in the power system. Just glad this didn't happen at 300' over woods, which is exactly where I was about 2 min prior to the crash.

Damage report:

(1) broken DJI arm
(1) punctured lipo
GPS stalk broken (damage to GPS unknown at this point)

Guess I have a reason to pull the trigger on the TBS Discovery frame now.
labcopilot is offline Find More Posts by labcopilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcopilot View Post
....first crash with my quad. Flying along great in FPV moving slowly forward (<10mph) at about 15 feet off of the ground when for a split second I could tell the the quad stopped moving forward relative to my stick input and then, bam, I lost my video signal. I got a stomach wrenching single alarm beep from my fatsharks and I knew it was bad. When I found her on the football field she was belly up and expensive electronics were slung everywhere. Unfortunately, no video to review/investigate. My only guess is that I lost main power for some reason. I presume that I had a bad solder connection at some point in the power system. Just glad this didn't happen at 300' over woods, which is exactly where I was about 2 min prior to the crash.

Damage report:

(1) broken DJI arm
(1) punctured lipo

I had a similar crash recently - had been flying 200 or 300 feet, brought it back (fpv) and was hovering about 10 feet above the ground and lost power. Fortunately, except for a broken camera mount servo, nothing else broke. Turned out to be a bad one piece deans adapter I purchased to tap for the video transmitter. Just a bad plug... wouldn't hold a connection with the battery. Something to say for "hard wired" connections!
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,022 Posts
I just tried to fly my NAZA Quad. It has been a few weeks sense I have flown. I checked out everything with configuration with the asistant and all looks right but motors wont arm....what could I be missing. LED signals look right....I must be missing something but I dont know what...any ideas?
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:19 PM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukmil View Post
I just tried to fly my NAZA Quad. It has been a few weeks sense I have flown. I checked out everything with configuration with the asistant and all looks right but motors wont arm....what could I be missing. LED signals look right....I must be missing something but I dont know what...any ideas?
Do you have dual rates programmed and are you on the low rate. (Not that I've ever done this before )
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TBS Disco Gimbal Update
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
hexa sudden rolls

I just build a 2-axis gimbal and started flying with it today and was somewhat impressed with how the naza works with gimbal....BUT i started noticing sudden quick rolls to the right and this is scary. Before I flew I made sure to set the remote gains control to "INH" so there's no conflict with the knob that I'm using for gimbal pitch control. This has never happened before without the gimbal. I'll try to fly again tomorrow without the gimbal plugged in to see if this helps. Did anyone here have this problem? I've heard that the Naza is particular about what servos to use for the gimbal, is this true?
xquad is offline Find More Posts by xquad
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:58 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Naza with GPS, just a fun little vid my mate edited for me!

Blokes with Quads! (2 min 16 sec)
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:14 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Conductivity loss with a CirBoard becoming a fuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcopilot View Post

Damage report:

(1) broken DJI arm
(1) punctured lipo

I have wondered such watching the TBS video's.
It is important to flood a conductivity pass for amperes.
Wires larger, Solder larger, Connector larger, and especially circuit board TRaces to be larger.
Sorry for your loss.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:28 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
These are interesting to play with: http://mikrokopter.altigator.com/ant...s-p-40415.html

I have them on my F550.
19,15 for one mount!! Holy cr@p they're not even gold plated!!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
77 Posts
The discovery is good frame but heavy as a boat anchor!!!
MOTOSTEIN is offline Find More Posts by MOTOSTEIN
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Sep 2011
77 Posts
Latest naza flight

WITH MY NAZA AND GPS THAT SPENT OVER AN HOUR AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN OVER A MONTH AGO!!! WAS WINDY BUT IT STILL FLIES WELL!!!
UP THE HILL OVER THE LAGOON & THRU THE SWINGSET (4 min 45 sec)
MOTOSTEIN is offline Find More Posts by MOTOSTEIN
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:00 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Gorinchem
Joined Nov 2009
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdelarme View Post
These are GREAT !
Just received two of them, thanks wdelarme for the fast shipping.
They fit like a glove and are VERY solid.
Mark.
burg911 is offline Find More Posts by burg911
Last edited by burg911; Oct 08, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:52 AM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
the tbs disco isn't heavy..... and it's got mad range

fully loaded with 28mm motors, full fpv vtx,cam, osd, gopro is 1600 grams and will fly 65 mph for about 7 minutes

Discovery @ the Gorge on Suppo (2 min 0 sec)

it is alot more fragille though..... that video is a continuous 60 amp draw
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:47 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
19,15 for one mount!! Holy cr@p they're not even gold plated!!!
And they feel REALLY easy to twist/snap - so I was paying a LOT of attention to the wrench holding the mounting plates whilst doing up the NyLoc nuts!
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:19 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Hi guys, here on vacation and since it's a gloomy day, I thought I'd take some time and install/program the GPS on my quad. I am having two problems that I can't quite figure out... did some reading and I'm still baffled. Wanted to turn to the forums to see if you guys could assist.

1. I have a Futaba 10CHG. Basically the same as the 10CAG, but a few switches are moved around and it defaults to heli programming as opposed to airplane programming. The Flamewheel is set to acro (airplane). I have the Control Mode Switch assigned to a 3-position switch in the radio. It correctly moves from GPS/Attitude/Manual when toggled. I created a gear/gear mix - assigned to a 2-position switch - that correctly moves the slider to failsafe except when the 3-position switch is in the center (Attitude). That may be a limitation of the radio but was wondering if there was a way around that.

2. In the failsafe menu of the radio, the only channel that is available for adjustment is the throttle channel. Apparently that's a limitiation if using a 7-channel receiver. Makes no sense to me. Anyway, I set the throttle to 50% and when I power off the transmitter, the throttle correctly moves to 50% in the Naza setup software. However, the slider never moves to failsafe. Is that again a limitation of the radio, which is why the Naza doesn't go, "Oh okay, you've lost link, let me go into failsafe"? Or am I missing something?

Thanks again for the replies!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,085 Posts
Mike

you need to be able to program the failsafe in the RX not the TX

after its lost the signal from the TX its the RX that moves the channels to the presets.
The naza recognizes these presets and engages failsafe

Also

Try setting up your TX in Heli mode using single servo swash and you can use the Pitch channel and flight modes switch to control the Manual Atti and GPS modes and then you can use the Throttle hold position to manually switch in and out of failsafe.

Works a treat on my DX8
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer