Propeller stall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Do not overload your quad...

Later,
Gundy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di-cUEveUiw
Sorry for the crash.
This is a very good example of how propellers can stall at a given weight with a rotation speed, angle (pitch), and diameter.
The prop, motor, weight combination needs an average duty in flight.
Boat propellers work very much the same.
I use eCalc. It takes a little time but works.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:34 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
So, an update to my postings a few days back about my gps not working after crashing, cutting and soldering the wires. I got around to getting the torx bit to take the gps unit apart today and I think I found the problem. Those cracks probably aren't good. This was with no visible damage to the casing.

Oh well, just wish I had video of the crash. One of the few times I forget to press record and thats when it happens.
What's on the other side? check for damage there too by gently levering any surface mount components. They often look OK at first glance but may have cracked ceramics.
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
(Double post)
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey View Post
Mike,

I would think that any Home Improvement store or ACE Hardware would sell it. 3M makes an EMI Copper Foil Shielding Tape (#1181).

Good luck!
Copper tape of any kind is difficult to find, especially at the corner hardware store. But copper tape specially constructed to deal with RFI (this is not EMI) is way harder because the adhesive is impregnated with copper powder to conduct so you can literally build an RFI cage around, or ground to anything. Used to have a roll when I was building repeaters, but its vanished.

EMI removal/ reduction requires Mu Metal
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:46 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,674 Posts
Mu Metal tape?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10m-Mu-metal...item35c03a0dec
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:44 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Quote:
What has your experience been with the quality of the lipos you get from there?
I have been getting the Value Hobbies Elite series Nanos. They seem to work well. I have made a lot of flights on them though I don't keep any records. I think they may be rebranded Turnigy Nanos as their dimensions are exactly the same.

I can never seem to find what I want in the HK USA warehouse and when I do the price is quite a bit higher. But mostly I don't like chnging the plugs over to Dean's and that is what I need.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:12 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,896 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I'm guessing that you don't have any slugs in your area. You can buy a nice 15' roll of copper tape for only $7.42 most anywhere. It is often cheaper to go outside the R/C industry for your needs.

Corry's 15 ft. Slug and Snail Copper Tape
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:34 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,164 Posts
update about my problem of left hard drifting after the ESC's, VTX and GPS reposition.

The problem looks to be a bad ESC that i got from Abusemark already flashed with SimonK firmware, i got 8 on the same order and after changing motors from left to right the problem was still there, so i changed the wires from esc 2 to 3 and the drifting was foward left (the suspected esc new placement),
So i changed it and in the house it looks level now.

After the rain i will test outside and report.
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:34 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Do not overload your quad...

Later,
Gundy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di-cUEveUiw
Sorry for your crash, but you are having the same issue that I did prior change to 4S as your alredy did. Even with 70C 3S baterry you can not hold it after you reach that voltage. Yes the only solution is 4S, believe me I had a lot of problems prior finding that.
Now just use 4S and have lots of fun.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, NH, Barrington
Joined Sep 2011
248 Posts
All Red Blinking?

Been flying the Naza/gps for a while now and all has been fine. As of late, I have been having a problem with all red blinking lights. Before launch I wait for slow single green blink. Take off and within a minute or two (voltage still around 12v) I get no green, just fast blinking reds as if voltage is low, but it isn't. Anything else cause this error code? Doesn't seem like compass is off - flies straight. Any ideas appreciated.
Socratic is offline Find More Posts by Socratic
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:36 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Sounds like the battery is getting weak. Under load it's dropping down below voltage warning. Do you have a different or new battery to test with?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM View Post
Oouch!
See the price?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2009
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey View Post
Hi Jeff,

I'm guessing that you don't have any slugs in your area. You can buy a nice 15' roll of copper tape for only $7.42 most anywhere. It is often cheaper to go outside the R/C industry for your needs.

Corry's 15 ft. Slug and Snail Copper Tape
Yep, forgot about this stuff. But this ultra soft, low grade copper isn't even on the same planet as the stuff you described earlier, except they're the same color. Is there a handling health warning on this package (just curious) ?

Because I managed to lose my good stuff, I lined the back of the GoPro cage with 2" aluminum ducting tape and it reduced the RFI radiated out the rear of the camera a few db. And being 2", requires only one pass.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Everyday I love DJI NAZA!! such great FC.

Silver Lakes Pembroke Pines Aerial View. (7 min 8 sec)
luisgcu is offline Find More Posts by luisgcu
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:36 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,374 Posts
I have recalibrated the Hex

I unplugged the video transmitter and removed the skewed planar wheel antenna to do it,
so I wouldn't have that interferance.

I balanced the motors and props again; trying to get rid of the jello.

It's better, but still not perfect, and as such "unacceptable".

Hex is holding position a lot better (much less drift)

This was flown 100% FPV.

FPV Hexacopter over under through the trees (3 min 14 sec)
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson