HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:59 AM
Registered User
United States, WV, Harrison
Joined Jul 2012
302 Posts
fyi http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741662



Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
So, an update to my postings a few days back about my gps not working after crashing, cutting and soldering the wires. I got around to getting the torx bit to take the gps unit apart today and I think I found the problem. Those cracks probably aren't good. This was with no visible damage to the casing.

Oh well, just wish I had video of the crash. One of the few times I forget to press record and thats when it happens.
wdelarme is offline Find More Posts by wdelarme
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:02 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,534 Posts
GPS Module Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
The reason is that the GPS is extremely sensitive to EM interference. If you don't put it on the pole, you need to do some work. The pole doesn't always help either given even a GoPro below the pole can kill a lock at times.
Correct on "work". My top frame mounted GPS module is rotated CCW ~ 20 degrees. That's much more than any magnetic declination would warrant.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:21 AM
Registered User
KevinBuckley70's Avatar
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Correct on "work". My top frame mounted GPS module is rotated CCW ~ 20 degrees. That's much more than any magnetic declination would warrant.
Surely, rotating the module is correcting magnetic influences, not EMI? GPS knows nothing about how the antenna is rotated, only the current direction of movement (just trying to be helpful).
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,534 Posts
Altitude Drift

I know TahoeEd is familiar with what I'm starting here because I've seen comments from him on the other threads devoted to this.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...08&postcount=1
Frankly, when I first heard this, all I could think of was "witchcraft and superstitions". And I would not fuel this fire if I did not have substantiation.


It appears that the Naza FC is light sensitive. Some pilots report a loss of altitude hold accuracy when sunlight shines on the Naza FC's left side (supposedly where the Baro sensor is).
I've been researching this for a while, and not seeing much.
Today, I found a Bosch barometric pressure sensor data sheet that sheds some light (excuse the pun) on this.
The pressure reading tells Naza it's altitude.

The Bosch sensor is typical of those on many FCs with altitude hold features, and it, or a knock-off, is probably what is in a Naza.
I am attaching a page from the Bosch spec sheet.

Most of us put the Naza FC on the bottom plate where it is protected by the top plate. This apparently includes protection from light. If you mount the FC in an exposed position, you might need to place some protective covering such as tape over the FC. Again, I think the left side is where you need to be concerned. Realize that air still needs to be able to get to the baro sensor.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:33 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,534 Posts
All I Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBuckley70 View Post
Surely, rotating the module is correcting magnetic influences, not EMI? GPS knows nothing about how the antenna is rotated, only the current direction of movement (just trying to be helpful).
...Is that it works!
And the rotated position corrects for whatever interference the GPS is seeing...
I, personally, don't put a lot of weight in the compass declination argument.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 05, 2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: comments...
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:27 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Cervanchez's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdelarme View Post
Ya, tried soldering. I may just hafta get one of your protectors if I get another.

I feel like dji should replace it since it was their faulty soldering that caused the crash.

Do I remember reading someone sending video of a faulty naza to dji and getting a replacement? I have video of it twitching right before, and pics of the bad soldering
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:03 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,534 Posts
You Never Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Ya, tried soldering. I may just hafta get one of your protectors if I get another.

I feel like dji should replace it since it was their faulty soldering that caused the crash.

Do I remember reading someone sending video of a faulty naza to dji and getting a replacement? I have video of it twitching right before, and pics of the bad soldering
Young man, I learned this lesson a long time ago:
"You'll never know if a lady will dance, unless you ask her..."
Good Luck!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:19 AM
Habitual Line Stepper
Cervanchez's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Young man, I learned this lesson a long time ago:
"You'll never know if a lady will dance, unless you ask her..."
Good Luck!
Well I already sent an email asking them to help diagnose the problem (before I knew about the cracks) and got no response to that, so I don't have high hopes. I just know I remember reading something about someone doing that on one of the threads.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:41 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,534 Posts
Evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Well I already sent an email asking them to help diagnose the problem (before I knew about the cracks) and got no response to that, so I don't have high hopes. I just know I remember reading something about someone doing that on one of the threads.
I think I remember it too...
Who's your dealer?
Perhaps they could be your dance partner...
Sorry, I like that cliche'
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:32 PM
Don't drink and fly
Exploding Fist's Avatar
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
My dance partner was my mom.

How does that fit into your analogy?
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,534 Posts
Your Mom Loves You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
My dance partner was my mom.

How does that fit into your analogy?
....How can she refuse?
So don't judge your mom's attitude by her willingness to dance.
Better?
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 05, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: All the off topic I'll do... I promise!
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Cervanchez's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I think I remember it too...
Who's your dealer?
Perhaps they could be your dance partner...
Sorry, I like that cliche'
Well, that's another problem. I got the Naza+GPS NIB through a friend of a friend who has a local shop. I got a great deal but didn't get a receipt. Then when I couldn't get the naza to play well with my motor/esc combo, I bought the DJI motor/ESC's from gothelirc.com. So it might just be easier and quicker to get a new one from the same guy I did before. But I'll ask him if he has a receipt in his records too, it's worth a shot.
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,534 Posts
Pay me now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Well, that's another problem. I got the Naza+GPS NIB through a friend of a friend who has a local shop. I got a great deal but didn't get a receipt. Then when I couldn't get the naza to play well with my motor/esc combo, I bought the DJI motor/ESC's from gothelirc.com. So it might just be easier and quicker to get a new one from the same guy I did before. But I'll ask him if he has a receipt in his records too, it's worth a shot.
...Or pay me later.
Sounds like that old motor oil commercial.
Look at it this way. You got a great price, but probably no warranty.
You took your chances, and...

Most of the time you get what you pay for... (unless it's lipo batteries)
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 05, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
Habitual Line Stepper
Cervanchez's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2011
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
...Or pay me later.
Sounds like that old motor oil commercial.
Look at it this way. You got a great price, but probably no warranty.
You took your chances, and...

Most of the time you get what you pay for... (unless it's lipo batteries)
Agree, and after I ended up buying the motors and escs separately, I ended up not saving very much over the price of the kit, and I don't have an extra frame to show for it either... oh well, that's what I get for trying to save money .
Cervanchez is online now Find More Posts by Cervanchez
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:09 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,534 Posts
It Happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervanchez View Post
Agree, and after I ended up buying the motors and escs separately, I ended up not saving very much over the price of the kit, and I don't have an extra frame to show for it either... oh well, that's what I get for trying to save money .
I've actually started looking at it differently.
When I first started with electrics, I was HobbyKing's best customer.
BTW, they still get my lipo business.
But, after starting to invest in larger planes, helis, etc., I felt it better to trust my $ to well-crafted and (theoretically) more reliable components.
I do know that a Hacker motor shaft is about twice as hard as a HK motor shaft.
It's probably all in my head because the HK stuff has been trustworthy, but my confidence level is higher with the +$ stuff...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product GAUI 500x/ GU-INS GPS Owners Thread - Tips, Problems And Experiences sap_2000 Multirotor Talk 220 Jul 01, 2014 09:58 PM
Discussion HoverFly Owners Thread: Pro, GPS, Sport, Gimbal and news Adidas4275 Multirotor Talk 195 Sep 06, 2012 04:45 PM
Found DJI NAZA GPS Upgrade Module for the DJI Naza Flight Controller skyhulk Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 10 Jul 20, 2012 08:47 PM
Question Question for Spektrum DX8/HF GPS owners Wayno Complaino Hoverfly Technologies 13 Jan 01, 2012 01:18 PM
Discussion Gps owner videos jginsandiego Hoverfly Technologies 0 Oct 04, 2011 05:01 PM