FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
I got me a couple of these to try out.

Zippy's.

Ive found that unless im flying in manual mode (hardly ever) my speed and punch are the same in Atti and GPS with 3 and 4 cell batteries.

So the 5000mah should give me some decent run times and weight the same as the 3000mah 4s im using now which only gives me about 8 minutes of general cruising. I essentially want longer run times so i can FPV and not have to come in and land in 5 minute flights which can only take you so far.
I have both 3c 5000 mah and 4c 5000 mah lipos...I get 6min runs from the 3c n 10min run time from the 4c. My quad is about 4.5 lbs with 10x4.5 APCs. I like the 4c much better. I'm only going with 4c from now on.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,443 Posts
GPS & Cellphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Interesting... TO THE RESEARCH-MOBILE!
Our smartphones don't do extremely well with their GPS in buildings either.
My iPhone needs a wifi signal to give me a more precise location sometimes...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Faa
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Would be sweet if the Naza GPS can log into wifi.... I am going to go back when the welders aren't up and they are going to bring the security system down.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:09 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Sep 2012
462 Posts
my Quad oscilate a Bit (Like a Twitch) when on GPS mode. Is that mean the gain is a bit to high?

thanks
WonderKing is offline Find More Posts by WonderKing
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:09 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderKing View Post
my Quad oscilate a Bit (Like a Twitch) when on GPS mode. Is that mean the gain is a bit to high?

thanks
Could be a few things, gain is the first thing to try. Next I would confirm COG and numbers.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
Peter
Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Gothenburg
Joined Dec 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Holy crap dude, that flight would land me in Gaol over here in Australia!
Yes, real stupid thing to do....
RolandGarros is offline Find More Posts by RolandGarros
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
I have both 3c 5000 mah and 4c 5000 mah lipos...I get 6min runs from the 3c n 10min run time from the 4c. My quad is about 4.5 lbs with 10x4.5 APCs. I like the 4c much better. I'm only going with 4c from now on.
Same with me I have 7 3S 5000 that now only use on my SkyWalker. 4S is the choise for heavy load.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:14 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Sep 2012
462 Posts
let me try to reduce the gain then, it does oscillate when there's some wind blowing the quad, COG? center of Gravity right? i fly with a Zombie Quad frame.

here's my gain setup
WonderKing is offline Find More Posts by WonderKing
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I'd try lowering your ATTI gains... if it gets worse after lowering it twice, raise it higher than it is now. If it doesn't change you need to recheck your COG (yes, center of gravity)

I see you currently can't adjust gains inflight... what TX are you using?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Findout this video that could help with GPS and radio interference problem:
how protect your fpv longrange system from 433 mhz interference generated by the gopro (3 min 28 sec)
!
This is not my video, just want to share that info, is about 433Mhz but it can make GPS signal go bad too.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Last edited by mauromassari; Sep 10, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:21 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, The Hague
Joined Mar 2012
136 Posts
but... i dont know when I flying from my balcony.. and police pass in front of me they didn't say anything... and that is not only one time... and my neighbors also do the same like me... so far.. is ok that's why.... and one of the police agent (hes my neighbors) also interesting to build one when he saw us flying... if that's a stupid think to fly from balcony???
indra9110 is offline Find More Posts by indra9110
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra9110 View Post
but... i dont know when I flying from my balcony.. and police pass in front of me they didn't say anything... and that is not only one time... and my neighbors also do the same like me... so far.. is ok that's why.... and one of the police agent (hes my neighbors) also interesting to build one when he saw us flying... if that's a stupid think to fly from balcony???
Near people and property. What is your plan if a prop breaks or comes off while over a car or street or people or small farm animals?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Mar 2009
252 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I attempted to fly in a steel workshop over the weekend. I couldn't get GPS (All metal building, wireless security, high voltage welders... something killed it) and even my 5.8 Video was cutting out just 10ft from me. Flying from the outside I would get choppy video when I got near the building.

Can I use a ferrite/torid(sp?) ring to help? Maybe if I got my GPS away from all interference on my hexa it could overcome the metal building limitations? I am fine flying ATTI in the building, just was hoping for some extra insurance because the winds in that building are insane. It can change directions completely in a matter of 5ft with the giant shop doors and fans and such.

I am pretty sure I will be buying a 600mw vTX today to see if more punch helps... I need one anyway.
Can't fly GPS like that. The receiver needs very critical timing data directly from each sat it sees, and if one or more of those are multipathed, your position can be from a little wrong, to hundreds of feet. Also you cannot use a repeater for all the above reasons.

For the 5.8, same thing. You are flying in a metal chamber generating nothing but multipath to the receiver and nothing short of very directional antennas on both ends will help (not fix) that. Al stronger Tx will make the problem worse by increasing the strength of said reflections to the Rx. In this case it's better to drop power as far as possible.

It would be interesting to see how many dropped frames the 2.4GHz Rx had?

Same when flying 5.8 outside. Often the breakup that people see is not signal loss, but reflections from nearby objects. And the building is a big one.
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:03 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Near people and property. What is your plan if a prop breaks or comes off while over a car or street or people or small farm animals?
What is your plan if the breaks on your car fails one second before you're about to go into an intersection filled with children?
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
It would be interesting to see how many dropped frames the 2.4GHz Rx had?

Same when flying 5.8 outside. Often the breakup that people see is not signal loss, but reflections from nearby objects. And the building is a big one.
I didn't even consider this... not did I notice any. My Futaba 8FGS was perfect feeling but then again I wouldn't notice 5-10% of the frames.

Yeah I am just going to LOS it. I figured i'd be able to maneuver in the tight spaces and line up shots a lot better in first person... but it's not an option. For light purposes I think I will be going back at night next time with the doors closed. Less wind and fan turbulence.