SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined May 2012
132 Posts
Calibration issues - fixed?

Cappy24:

Yeah, I was starting to worry about all those switch flips myself. Anyway, success this morning, but I kind of don't know why.

I'm using a DX8. So I setup a mix on the elevator D/R switch to get from GPS to MAN direct. Nothing happens when I try a calibration.

I again try my FLAP switch, used as the flight mode switch, nothing there.

So while dicking around with it, I decide to move the flt mode switch off the FLAP switch to the FMODE switch and IOC from the DX8 AUX2 switch to the FLAP switch to get all switches on the left side of the radio.

Then I tried a calibration with the FMODE - nothing, but when I used the ELE D/R switch sure as s***, after exactly 7 flips, I get into it. Thinking I somehow got lucky, I power down, power back up and exactly 7 flips, I'm back in.

So I'm not buying moving the flight mode switch to the FMODE switch in the DX8 is doing this, because I'm using the ELE D/R switch to initiate the calibration.

Anyway, I'm sticking with it.

Thanks for the tips guys.

P.S. thought: Could it be that trying to get into calibration mode is dependent on how far the end points are set in Assistant for the flight control modes? Some people have zero problems and some people are like me. But we don't know exactly how far the end points can be and still move the pointer into the "blue" range to select GPS, ATT and MAN. In my case, the end points are probably different for the FMODE switch and the ELE D/R switch and that could be the difference.

We talk about centering the pointer in Assistant to ensure the selected control mode, but maybe this is interfering with get into calibration. Maybe calibration needs the most separated end points to be consistent.

Ron
Glacier51 is offline Find More Posts by Glacier51
Last edited by Glacier51; Sep 09, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:39 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,259 Posts
NAZA Power Source

Hi,

I was wondering what the preferred way is to power the NAZA with GPS. Are most people using a regulator fed from the 4s-6s LiPo pack or a separate power source like a receiver battery or 2s Life Source (A123) pack?

In other words, is it best to power up the electronics first and then apply power to the ESCs?

Thanks.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:17 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
Calibrate each motor esc individually to your xmit and rcvr rc build according to ESC manufacturer specification without the naza in between. Hook them up and fly after.
I should have mentioned here, I already did this twice, once before the build, and now I took it apart and did it again to be sure. No change. While the ESC's are indendent, they all start at exactly the same stick position just above zero. When installed with the Naza, they start up ranging from zero to half throttle to get the 6th motor going.

Any other ideas?

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:20 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey View Post
Hi,

I was wondering what the preferred way is to power the NAZA with GPS. Are most people using a regulator fed from the 4s-6s LiPo pack or a separate power source like a receiver battery or 2s Life Source (A123) pack?

In other words, is it best to power up the electronics first and then apply power to the ESCs?

Thanks.
I power it all up off of one battery all at once. Seems to be fine
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:18 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
One pack for everything has always worked on this end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:41 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
1 battery for everything except FPV. I keep fpv on a separate pack.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:53 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
1 battery for everything except FPV. I keep fpv on a separate pack.
Me too, safer and less interferency.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
Me too, safer and less interferency.

Mauro
I'm going to try to use only one battery by making a LC filter for the FPV setup eliminating the interference!
marcelog is offline Find More Posts by marcelog
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:37 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelog View Post
I'm going to try to use only one battery by making a LC filter for the FPV setup eliminating the interference!
I don't do it for interference, I do it because of voltage. FPV equipment is very sensitive to voltage drops. A 3S 800-1400mah battery weights nothing and costs $10. I have a 1400mah and after 3 flights it's only 4.1-4.15v a cell. Charging isn't much work ever.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:40 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
I don't do it for interference, I do it because of voltage. FPV equipment is very sensitive to voltage drops. A 3S 800-1400mah battery weights nothing and costs $10. I have a 1400mah and after 3 flights it's only 4.1-4.15v a cell. Charging isn't much work ever.
I'm going to use a 4S for everything with a step down for the FPV. So, no voltage drops I think!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
And if you send it up on accident with a uncharged battery? I'd rather not lose video while my motors are slowing and I am finding a place to crash.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:57 PM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,842 Posts
I am asking for a big favor here. Does anyone have a DJI F550 bottom center plate. And would it fit in a standard size 9X12 printer paper and if so could you outline it onto a 9X12 paper scan it and email it to me. I am about to build a new frame and want to go with the same size as the F550 but with out all the other holes/slots cut into it. This is going to be a one off Y6 with quad addict aluminum arms backed to backed with one pieace vibration dampaners on each side of the arms at the center plate connections and also a layer of the same material between each back to back arm. The center plates will be laser cut out of polycarbonate and It will be flying under IPower 2212Q with 11 or 10 inch props. I plan on using a 200MM Jakub landing skids and tring to find a proper gimble for my new RX-100 Sony camera. If someone could do this for me this aircarft could easily be airborn by the end of the week. Beiing that I have 90% of the parts already.Thanks much
kd4wen is online now Find More Posts by kd4wen
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:01 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
And if you send it up on accident with a uncharged battery? I'd rather not lose video while my motors are slowing and I am finding a place to crash.
Impossible, if I fly with FPV, the voltage is on the screen and I check this always, if not FPV, I connect the voltage meter before to check it!

But I understand what you are saying, but my battery compartment doesn't support a 4S 6Ah + 3S 1Ah, so because of this I will try one battery.

And naza has auto RTH for low battery!!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:05 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Pm me tomorrow and I will scan one for you. At work I have a good scanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4wen View Post
I am asking for a big favor here. Does anyone have a DJI F550 bottom center plate. And would it fit in a standard size 9X12 printer paper and if so could you outline it onto a 9X12 paper scan it and email it to me. I am about to build a new frame and want to go with the same size as the F550 but with out all the other holes/slots cut into it. This is going to be a one off Y6 with quad addict aluminum arms backed to backed with one pieace vibration dampaners on each side of the arms at the center plate connections and also a layer of the same material between each back to back arm. The center plates will be laser cut out of polycarbonate and It will be flying under IPower 2212Q with 11 or 10 inch props. I plan on using a 200MM Jakub landing skids and tring to find a proper gimble for my new RX-100 Sony camera. If someone could do this for me this aircarft could easily be airborn by the end of the week. Beiing that I have 90% of the parts already.Thanks much
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:07 PM
I never finish anyth
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelog View Post
And naza has auto RTH for low battery!!
Good point, never seen a RTH fail before