HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Wel I had my first Naza GPS bad exspirance this morning.Was flying around the soccer feild and went up about 75 foot switched to GPS hold and it stuck in GPS hold would not switch out I tried everything did not loss link had a good 65 plus db showing on both ends.I switched to failsafe still nothing cut the radio off still in hold. Turned radio back on it rebinded but would not come out of altitude gps hold. It had alot of battery left and it just hoovered and hoovered til the battery died and she fell from the sky and broke my gotheil landing extentions and one of the arms at the motor. I have not a clue. Has anyone had this to happen.
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Last edited by kd4wen; Sep 09, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Oct 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier51 View Post
I updated the NAZA firmware but now getting only one beep and the tones at startup. The LED gives me 4 good green flashes at the end of initiation. Is everyone getting only 1 beep at start? I've gotten a few flights in after update so everything is running correctly, just wondering if there was a change.

My second and ongoing issue is compass calibration. I've done a couple so far in the 3 months of NAZA, but now no amount of flight mode switch flipping at different rates, number of times, hesitating on the GPS position, ending up on GPS, etc. gets me into the calibration.

The only thing I haven't done is try calibrating someplace else other than a gravel covered driveway away from the house and cars. But I'll assume for the moment that some buried magnetic anomaly would affect the calibration not the act of being able to get into it. Any ideas are welcome.

Ron
calibration for me and my jr11x on a 3 way switch does take alot longer now after the firmware update...annoying but it does eventually work..my fear is that i might break the switch one day..
cappy24 is offline Find More Posts by cappy24
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:01 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4wen View Post
Wel I had my first Naza GPS bad exspirance this morning.Was flying around the soccer feild and went up about 75 foot switched to GPS hold and it stuck in GPS hold would not switch out I tried everything did loss link had a good 65 plus db showing on both ends.I switched to failsafe still nothing cut the radio off still in hold. Turned radio back on it rebinded but would not come out of altitude gps hold. It had alot of battery left and it just hoovered and hoovered til the battery died and she flell from the sky and broke my gotheil landing extentions and one of the arms at the motor. I have not a clue. Has anyone had this to happen.
Are you sure everything was well configured at the naza assistant? when you hit the failsafe button the slide goes to the failsafe zone?
marcelog is offline Find More Posts by marcelog
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:08 PM
Just a yard bird
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelog View Post
Are you sure everything was well configured at the naza assistant? when you hit the failsafe button the slide goes to the failsafe zone?
Yes sir. And just put it back onto the computer and everything is showing that it still is configured correctly. I am at awe. I have and extra arm and I am going to replce it and try again later today. But this time I am going to keep her low to the ground and see if it does it again.
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Last edited by kd4wen; Sep 09, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, CO, Silverthorne
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Any advice for a NAZA noobie?

I've got a 500x thats all set without the GPS addon and trying (bit reluctant) to do a maiden flight with the NAZA from the GU-344 (broken props while learning). The NAZA is all set up, ESC's, IU switch is set to auto and manual.

The only things I've turned off or not setup so far is:

Voltage monitoring. - I heard if its not done properly it will cause headaches so I'll use the timer on my dx6i.

Failsafe AR600-x - I've seen horror stories of trying to setup the NAZA failsafe while using a Spektrum setup and found that the Spektrum tries to override the NAZA which results in a crash. The toggle is set to ATTI and Manual in the software but I'll be using ATTI since I'm wanting to JUST hover and possibly test out gain values.

GAIN - Everything is set to 100% and I'll be heading outside to test each axis and adjust the gain. Heard people running 120-140% gains or so.

Any advice on what ELSE I could triple check before heading out for a maiden hover? Is the NAZA really THAT easy to learn on with a few parameters set in the software and ESC's?
TZZDC1241 is offline Find More Posts by TZZDC1241
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
Quote:
Yes sir. And just put it back onto the computer and everything is showing that it still is configured correctly.
When you turn your TX off does it go into the green failsafe zone (and stay there)?
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZZDC1241 View Post
Any advice for a NAZA noobie?

I've got a 500x thats all set without the GPS addon and trying (bit reluctant) to do a maiden flight with the NAZA from the GU-344 (broken props while learning). The NAZA is all set up, ESC's, IU switch is set to auto and manual.

The only things I've turned off or not setup so far is:

Voltage monitoring. - I heard if its not done properly it will cause headaches so I'll use the timer on my dx6i.

Failsafe AR600-x - I've seen horror stories of trying to setup the NAZA failsafe while using a Spektrum setup and found that the Spektrum tries to override the NAZA which results in a crash. The toggle is set to ATTI and Manual in the software but I'll be using ATTI since I'm wanting to JUST hover and possibly test out gain values.

GAIN - Everything is set to 100% and I'll be heading outside to test each axis and adjust the gain. Heard people running 120-140% gains or so.

Any advice on what ELSE I could triple check before heading out for a maiden hover? Is the NAZA really THAT easy to learn on with a few parameters set in the software and ESC's?
Hi TZZ, I've made the same move earlier this year. One thing I've overlooked which cause the quad to flip hard at that time was that the Motor numbering is a bit different between the Naza and the GU-344. I know this is very basic ... maybe that's why I have overlooked it ... Other than that ... it's all smooth sailing (even without the GPS addition at that time) ...
tien8tien is offline Find More Posts by tien8tien
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:38 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Wel I had my first Naza GPS bad exspirance this morning.Was flying around the soccer feild and went up about 75 foot switched to GPS hold and it stuck in GPS hold would not switch out I tried everything did not loss link had a good 65 plus db showing on both ends.I switched to failsafe still nothing cut the radio off still in hold. Turned radio back on it rebinded but would not come out of altitude gps hold. It had alot of battery left and it just hoovered and hoovered til the battery died and she fell from the sky and broke my gotheil landing extentions and one of the arms at the motor. I have not a clue. Has anyone had this to happen.
Strange and scary.

in GPS hold mode - I still have control over altitude and can still adjust position of the multirotor.

what failsafe mode are you using ? return home? land? seems like you had a lock out or maybe the NAZA FC had some sort of software "crash" causing RC lock out.

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tien8tien View Post
Hi TZZ, I've made the same move earlier this year. One thing I've overlooked which cause the quad to flip hard at that time was that the Motor numbering is a bit different between the Naza and the GU-344. I know this is very basic ... maybe that's why I have overlooked it ... Other than that ... it's all smooth sailing (even without the GPS addition at that time) ...
YEP! I've triple checked the motor numbering! I switched motors 2,4 from the gaui setup (put 2 in front and 4 in back) and verified the motors spin the direction it says in the software. I actually watched some guy on youtube that has a time-lapse of NAZA with 500x build and he mentioned specifically to change #2,4 since the numbering goes the opposite direction of the gaui.

The quad is also balanced as best I could. Held it at the ends of the booms and even in the middle side to side and front to back since I know how much difference a balanced quad makes.

So it sounds like all set to fire her up!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:46 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
what failsafe mode are you using ? return home? land? seems like you had a lock out or maybe the NAZA FC had some sort of software "crash" causing RC lock out.
Or the r/c failsafe (as in, the action taken by the receiver if signal is lost) is not set to put the Naza into failsafe.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Mar 2009
253 Posts
Sounds line the NAZA routine just froze. Hopefully this is a 1-off fluke, but I would reload the FW.
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:40 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,155 Posts
Quote:
Wel I had my first Naza GPS bad exspirance this morning.Was flying around the soccer feild and went up about 75 foot switched to GPS hold and it stuck in GPS hold would not switch out.
Kd why didn't you just land it? I fly in GPS and take off and land with it on all the time.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:48 PM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Kd why didn't you just land it? I fly in GPS and take off and land with it on all the time.
My take on his post was that he had no control of anything and had to wait for the battery to die in order to get it down.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
It sounds like when he switched to GPS mode the naza just stopped responding completely, like it froze. I was a bit confused by his terminology when he used the term GPS hold, as far as I know there is no GPS hold mode just a GPS mode which still allows for full flight control it just holds position when no input is given and throttle at 50%.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
So I finally hovered my quad and :O the thing is BEAUTIFULLY stable!!! I'm in AWE at how stable the NAZA is.

My only issue so far and maybe its because the grass lawn isnt exactly level while the quad is flat trimming is the quad wants to drift forward and maybe slightly to the right.

Not sure if that requires re init the gyro in the software, balancing the quad better (put battery farther back) or if I just need a really flat surface before turning the quad on.